News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What 2018 Movie Are You Most Lookig Forward To?

Started by Plutonic Panda, December 22, 2017, 12:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

For me: Incredibles 2.

I'm also interested in seeing how they will do the new Halloween movie. I'm not really into remakes and I was entertained by Rob Zombies version however I wasn't a huge fan of it. Rob Zombie makes good horror films, but he always seems to try too hard to go over the top and it just didn't do it for me with his version of Halloween.

I'll probably see the new Mission Impossible just because I think each one that comes out won't be good but I always end up being entertained. Haven't seen a bad one yet.

Haven't decided if I'll be watching Oceans 8 or the new Avengers in theatres. I'll likely go see Black Panther and Aquaman.

Im weird about this but I don't like watching new release horror movies outside of Halloween unless it's a Christmas or Valentine themed horror movie so I'll wait for the new Insidious. I liked the first one but James Wan hasn't done too good, IMO, with his recent movies. The first Conjuring was okay.

Some other ones I'm interested in are Super Troopers 2, Tomb Raider, and Deadpool 2.

I'm not happy they're remaking Scarface.

https://www.movieinsider.com/movies/-/2018

Max Rockatansky

Wouldn't mind seeing The Room on the big screen.  :-D

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 22, 2017, 12:12:02 AM
Wouldn't mind seeing The Room on the big screen.  :-D
Yes. I will have to make sure I won't be in the bathroom when the climax hits which I believe is about 72 minutes in when the doorknob to the room is given a quick jiggle but I don't want to spoil too much.

Hurricane Rex

Can't decide

I just want the next star trek to come out sooner than later.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

jakeroot

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 22, 2017, 12:09:28 AM

Totally forgot about that one. That might be my number one for 2018 as well. Definitely one of my favorite childhood movies (I was 8 when it came out).

Haven't decided if I'll be watching Oceans 8 or the new Avengers in theatres.

Regardless of the new twist on the cast, Oceans 8 every day. I'm getting real tired of these superhero movies.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: jakeroot on December 22, 2017, 02:23:35 AM
I'm getting real tired of these superhero movies.
I feel like that superhero movies are running itself into a hole by getting a bigger and badder enemy and the superheroes have the same moves as before with just one new thing that saves the world (again). The only superhero movie I thoroughly enjoyed recently was Guardians of the Galaxy 2 because it is both a comedy film and a superhero film. Also nothing (except Guardians of the Galaxy to an extent) seems to be new anymore movie wise at least in the last 5 years. Just my $.02
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Plutonic Panda

Totally forgot about that one. That might be my number one for 2018 as well. Definitely one of my favorite childhood movies (I was 8 when it came out).

Haven't decided if I'll be watching Oceans 8 or the new Avengers in theatres.

Regardless of the new twist on the cast, Oceans 8 every day. I'm getting real tired of these superhero movies.
Yeah the whole superhero thing is getting over played. The most creative ones imo, were Deadpool and Logan but that's probably because both of those were rated R. I'd like to see an R rated Scooby Doo movie which might sound weird but I think it'd do really well if done right.

I do predict a pause in superhero movies after the last Avengers finishes up. I will be interested to see how Disney does with Marvel. I am not convinced Fantastic Four can be made into a good movie. Will also be interested to see how they do with X-Men. As for Sony, I enjoyed Homecoming and will probably see the next Spiderman(not the animated one). But I do plan on seeing a few superhero movies this year with all that being said. After this year, unless I see a trailer that wows me, I'll probably hit the pause button on seeing new superhero movies in theatres.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 22, 2017, 03:10:35 AM
I feel like that superhero movies are running itself into a hole by getting a bigger and badder enemy and the superheroes have the same moves as before with just one new thing that saves the world (again). The only superhero movie I thoroughly enjoyed recently was Guardians of the Galaxy 2 because it is both a comedy film and a superhero film. Also nothing (except Guardians of the Galaxy to an extent) seems to be new anymore movie wise at least in the last 5 years. Just my $.02
I've never seen the Guardian movies. I will need to check them out.

As an aside, I'm really pissed about what Disney did to the Hollywood Tower of Terror. The theme was so cool and I will never go on that ride because of what they did to it. That'd be like taking Space Mountain and making it into something completely different. It would ruin the feel of it, imo. From my point of view, Disney Land needs to bring back the original Epcot West(I forgot what the real name of it was going to be), build it on the Buzz Lightyear Parking lot and the surrounding ones, and build another massive parking garage on the existing surface parking lots. Then expand the current mono-rail system they have to be an actual means of transport across the parks instead of just being a theme-park attraction.

I am glad they are putting in the new 5 star resort where the current Rainforest Cafe and ESPN Game Zone area is. Once they get the new additions to the current theme parks finished and the redo of the Westside Downtown Disney completed, I'll be interested to see what they do next. They also have some massive new parking garages planned. All this should be finished by 2020 or so. Disney Land will be considerable different then.

Sorry I just noticed I went way off topic lol I'm a huge Disney fan. :P

jakeroot

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 22, 2017, 07:06:21 AM
As an aside, I'm really pissed about what Disney did to the Hollywood Tower of Terror. The theme was so cool and I will never go on that ride because of what they did to it. That'd be like taking Space Mountain and making it into something completely different. It would ruin the feel of it, imo. From my point of view, Disney Land needs to bring back the original Epcot West(I forgot what the real name of it was going to be), build it on the Buzz Lightyear Parking lot and the surrounding ones, and build another massive parking garage on the existing surface parking lots. Then expand the current mono-rail system they have to be an actual means of transport across the parks instead of just being a theme-park attraction.

The Guardians of the Galaxy ride wasn't anywhere near as blasphemous as I was expecting (I visited in October). If you close your eyes and just enjoy the back-forth/up-down movements, it's actually (IMO) more fun than the Tower of Terror. But the theming is what made ToT great (and is what continues to make the Florida version awesome), and Guardians just doesn't achieve the same level of awe. Though it does sell due to the movie tie-in, which is probably part of the reason they changed the ride (same thing with what they've done with Pirates, Submarine Voyage, the Haunted Mansion, and what they're about to do with California Screamin').

ET21

Infinity War is by far my top pick. There is another Star Wars film (Solo A Star Wars Story), but we've yet to see a trailer and it's slated for a Memorial Day release. I honestly think they'll be pushing this back to December
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kphoger

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 22, 2017, 03:10:35 AM

Original ideas on screen are hard to come by these days.  It started with the disaster movies.  For a while, it seemed like there was a new end-of-civilization movie coming out every month.  Some of them were successful, so Hollywood just kept churning out more of them.  You knew they were running out of ideas when The Core came out, in which Earth's core had stopped spinning and they had to drill into the center of the Earth.  Seriously, guys?

Then my generation (somewhere between GenX and GenY) came of age and had [1] a fondness for the cartoons and comics they grew up with, [2] disposable income, and [3] children to mold into their likeness.  And so the superheroes found new life.  Either we'll latch onto something else, or they'll be around till my generation's children are out of the house.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

^^
I think it has more to do with money. Superhero films make tons of money. Never record-setting, but a sizeable amount. And then, yes, it's our generations love of comics and animation.

kphoger

It also seems to be pretty common these days to remake something.  No original ideas, no problem.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

dvferyance

Downsizing I am always interested in any movie with Kristen Wiig in it.

formulanone

Quote from: jakeroot on December 26, 2017, 04:42:35 PM
^^
I think it has more to do with money. Superhero films make tons of money. Never record-setting, but a sizeable amount. And then, yes, it's our generations love of comics and animation.

Superhero movies also translate well visually, as heroic themes are common thoughout a good chunk of the globe. Dub in another couple of languages, tweak some posters, possibly remove a single 20-second clip that offends the local Ministry of Testosterone, and it's usually a license to print money.

Quote from: kphoger on December 26, 2017, 04:49:55 PM
It also seems to be pretty common these days to remake something.  No original ideas, no problem.

While I agree, to be honest...this was going on in the 1970s and '80s, as well. It's just that after 20-30-40 years of watching movies, there's a bit of ennui that settles in when I see a lot of trailers. Sometimes I just tell myself that it's okay for another generation to go ahead and enjoy something that I'm not terribly thrilled about.

That said, how many Jurassic Park movies do they need to make? Do they think we're a collective bunch of amnesiacs?

sparker

Since they put off the 25th Bond film until 2019 (but with no Christoph Waltz!) -- and I'm pretty picky about sci-fi and don't really give a rat's ass about horror, unless there's something really funny on the horizon, 2018 looks like a wash!

inkyatari

Quote from: sparker on December 28, 2017, 01:34:17 AM
Since they put off the 25th Bond film until 2019 (but with no Christoph Waltz!) -- and I'm pretty picky about sci-fi and don't really give a rat's ass about horror, unless there's something really funny on the horizon, 2018 looks like a wash!

Honestly, I haven't heard any news regarding the next Bond film,other than Daniel Craig agreeing to be Bond again.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

sparker

Quote from: inkyatari on December 29, 2017, 10:19:35 AM
Quote from: sparker on December 28, 2017, 01:34:17 AM

Honestly, I haven't heard any news regarding the next Bond film,other than Daniel Craig agreeing to be Bond again.

No director lined up either (Sam Mendes opted out) and apparently about 4-5 writers have had a stab at a storyline so far.  If they hope to have a Thanksgiving 2019 release date they have to get their shit together so they can start shooting no later than January '19.  Thats all I've been able to glean from various sources and sites. 

nexus73

Maybe war movies become the Next Big Thing.  If so, I would love to see a trio based on the great sea battles that set into motion the world we have.  Trafalgar, Jutland and Leyte Gulf were seminal moments for war at sea.  With today's CGI and very good set builders, we would get quite the show from these famous battles!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

sparker

Quote from: nexus73 on December 29, 2017, 02:04:54 PM
Maybe war movies become the Next Big Thing.  If so, I would love to see a trio based on the great sea battles that set into motion the world we have.  Trafalgar, Jutland and Leyte Gulf were seminal moments for war at sea.  With today's CGI and very good set builders, we would get quite the show from these famous battles!

Rick

Speaking of war movies -- the Allied incursion into Germany post Battle of the Bulge has been given short shrift; the only film I can recall that tackled the period was "Bridge at Remagen" (1969; Robert Vaughn should have been nominated for a supporting Oscar for his performance).  I'd certainly like to see a full-on "big" film covering that aspect of WWII, at least from the stories I heard as a kid from veterans who actually crossed the Rhine! 

abefroman329

jakeroot

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 03, 2018, 04:04:31 PM
Deadpool 2 by a country mile.

I'm mostly looking forward to seeing the filming locations. As with Deadpool 1, it's filmed in and around Vancouver. I've already spotted a bunch of film locations from the trailers, although I suspect the final production will hide a lot of familiar sights and labels that make it easy to find many of the sights.

noelbotevera

Honestly, I'm surprised Marvel can just create a $200 million+ movie in a matter of two to three months. Apparently, after Infinity War will be that Ant Man sequel, which will be releasing in July. No plans to see any of them, simply because superhero movies are just really generic. The only modern superhero movie I like is the 2002 Spider Man (It was directed by Sam Raimi, who also made Evil Dead).

I'm interested in recent Philippine cinema - there's been some interesting movies/TV shows floating around (Amo, for example), but trying to find anything will be a challenge.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Rothman

They take longer than 2-3 months from concept to final production.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.