News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Community with complete set of directional “children”

Started by GenExpwy, December 28, 2017, 01:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GenExpwy

Sort of the opposite of the thread "Directional" cities that lack a namesake: what places have a complete set of North, South, East, and West "children"  that are related to the parent, being close by and in the (approximately) correct positions?

The only one I have found in Rand McNally is Acton, MA (near Concord), which has North Acton, South Acton, East Acton, and West Acton close by.

A near miss is Hoosick, NY. According to DeLorme, there are North Hoosick, East Hoosick, West Hoosick, and Southwest Hoosick, along with Hoosick Falls and Hoosick Junction.

Any other good examples?

Rothman

In MA, you have a full set of Hamptons in Hampshire County, but no Hampton.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: GenExpwy on December 28, 2017, 01:56:26 AM
The only one I have found in Rand McNally is Acton, MA (near Concord), which has North Acton, South Acton, East Acton, and West Acton close by.

All four of those are part of Acton, not separate towns. They're not even CDPs or separate zip codes.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on December 28, 2017, 07:51:56 AM

All four of those are part of Acton, not separate towns. They're not even CDPs or separate zip codes.
Ah.  I was going to bring up Amherst, which has "villages" of North, South and East, but didn't because they weren't real townships.

OP should just look at a map of MA townships and cities.  Easily available through a Google search.

Makes you wonder how Rand McNally chooses what "communities" get a dot on their maps, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Rothman on December 28, 2017, 07:56:05 AM

Ah.  I was going to bring up Amherst, which has "villages" of North, South and East, but didn't because they weren't real townships.

OP should just look at a map of MA townships and cities.  Easily available through a Google search.

Towns, not townships.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Henry

The closest that I can get is in my own backyard. We have a West Chicago (IL), a North Chicago (IL), and an East Chicago (IN), but a South Chicago Heights (IL). While South Chicago does exist, it is more of a neighborhood in the main city rather than a separate town.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on December 28, 2017, 07:57:05 AM

Towns, not townships.

Tomato, tomato.

kphoger

The thread title says community, and the OP says places.  I think we can include townships under those definitions.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Makes you wonder how Rand McNally chooses what "communities" get a dot on their maps, though.

Space, often times.

GenExpwy

My criteria is places that are labeled on a published map.

It must be noted that all of those Actons are listed by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names as “Populated Places” (likewise with all the Hoosicks). This might be the definitive criteria.
https://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/

webny99

What about places (such as Acton, MA) where all the directional children lie within the town boundary?

They may even all be labeled, but no one thinks of them as separate. IMO, it is little more than an acknowledgement that the town has four quadrants. So does almost every other town. I think the "children" should all be the same type of entity (all towns, all villages, all cities, etc.) for it to be significant. I don't mean to dispute the OP's definition, rather, just questioning the prevailing mode of thought.

Of course, all of that is moot if the OP is looking for sets of children that lie within the original entity.

GenExpwy

Quote from: webny99 on December 28, 2017, 01:11:29 PM
What about places (such as Acton, MA) where all the directional children lie within the town boundary?

They may even all be labeled, but no one thinks of them as separate. IMO, it is little more than an acknowledgement that the town has four quadrants. So does almost every other town. I think the "children" should all be the same type of entity (all towns, all villages, all cities, etc.) for it to be significant. I don't mean to dispute the OP's definition, rather, just questioning the prevailing mode of thought.

Of course, all of that is moot if the OP is looking for sets of children that lie within the original entity.

Well, the Federal Government does think of them as separate. I'd bet that Rand McNally, DeLorme, and other mapmakers defer to the Board on Geographic Names as the arbiter of whether a place exists. Perhaps they were separate and distinct communities back in the 19th century, but in recent decades have turned into a continuous blur of development. In that case, you might say the BGN is listing places that no longer exist.

There seem to be three relevant Feature Classes in the Geographic Names Information System, if you want to run a query:
Quote from: Feature Class DefinitionsCensus  A statistical area delineated locally specifically for the tabulation of Census Bureau data (census designated place, census county division, unorganized territory, various types of American Indian/Alaska Native statistical areas). Distinct from Civil and Populated Place.

Civil  A political division formed for administrative purposes (borough, county, incorporated place, municipio, parish, town, township). Distinct from Census and Populated Place.

Populated Place  Place or area with clustered or scattered buildings and a permanent human population (city, settlement, town, village). A populated place is usually not incorporated and by definition has no legal boundaries. However, a populated place may have a corresponding "civil" record, the legal boundaries of which may or may not coincide with the perceived populated place. Distinct from Census and Civil classes.

webny99

So the question becomes:

If there are four (North, South, East, West) populated places inside of a larger, overarching civil division of the same name, does that qualify for this thread?

english si

Quote from: GenExpwy on December 28, 2017, 01:56:26 AMThe only one I have found in Rand McNally is Acton, MA (near Concord), which has North Acton, South Acton, East Acton, and West Acton close by.
Funnily enough, it's London namesake has a full set of stations affixed with cardinal directions - the only place in the UK with that, along with having the most stations in the town with the town's name in the name - 7 (North A, South A, West A, East A, A Central, A Town, A Main Line).

SectorZ

Towns, not townships.

South Acton and West Acton are the only parts of Acton that really exists as an actual entity, as in someone may say they live there or drive to there. The north and east portions are vapors.

GenExpwy

Quote from: SectorZ on December 30, 2017, 02:35:05 PM

Towns, not townships.

South Acton and West Acton are the only parts of Acton that really exists as an actual entity, as in someone may say they live there or drive to there. The north and east portions are vapors.

I guess the Board on Geographic Names database has a number of "ghost"  places in it. I remember a story about "Idaho, NY"  (southeastern-most corner of the town of Lima, Livingston County), that even the guy who lived there had never heard of it.

Just now, today's Ripley's Believe It or Not says that there is a place called Wham, LA, that neither Google Earth nor the Rand McNally Commercial Atlas has heard of, but is in the BGN database.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.