News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Regional terminology for frontage roads

Started by Pink Jazz, December 31, 2017, 03:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

There are many different ways to refer to frontage roads, and different terms seem to be predominant in different regions.  I would like to know which terms are dominant in specific regions.  Here is what I know:

• Arizona - Frontage road
  • New Mexico - Frontage road
  • New York - Service road
  • Puerto Rico - Calle Marginal
  • Texas (Houston) - Feeder
  • Texas (DFW) - Service road
  • Texas (San Antonio) - Access road
  • Texas (Elsewhere) - Frontage road
  • Virginia - Service road

Flint1979

In Michigan they are called service drives.

Flint1979

This is at Nevada Street and Chrysler Service Drive. It's called Chrysler Service Drive because it's the Service Drive to the Chrysler Freeway (I-75).
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4249949,-83.0927661,3a,75y,40.8h,89.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxVKn2oHAMGnU2q-S5Vdh4A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

kphoger

Quote from: Pink Jazz on December 31, 2017, 03:11:19 PM

I'm not so sure it's all that clear-cut.  I lived with a guy from Dallas who called them access roads.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

México – Lateral / Calle Lateral / Carriles Laterales
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: kphoger on December 31, 2017, 03:22:01 PM

I'm not so sure it's all that clear-cut.  I lived with a guy from Dallas who called them access roads.

This was from Wikipedia, so perhaps I should take it with a grain of salt.

jp the roadgeek

CT: On CT 9 in Berlin and on I-95 in East Haven, they are referred to as frontage roads.  In Hartford along I-91, they are referred to as service roads.

NJ: Like NY, also calls them service roads, such as those along NJ 3 in Secaucus.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

US 89

In Utah, they are typically referred to as frontage roads.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Arkansas: I mainly hear access frontage road(s).

iPhone
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

webny99

It is correct that we call them service roads here in New York. Across the border in Ontario, they also call them service roads, although theirs are typically two-way and do not interfere with, or provide access to, interchanges.

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on December 31, 2017, 03:42:29 PM
Arkansas: I mainly hear access frontage road(s).

I hear "service roads" on occasion, but not often. Probably some out of state "foreigner" ;)

Illinois predominantly uses "Frontage Road" as does Mississippi.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

formulanone

I pretty much say frontage road, unless some sign designates it "service road" or "access road".

It's not quite a regional thing like soda/pop or how you pronounce pin from pen: what I've seen on linguistic maps, it's more about what the local/state DOT calls it. After that, there's going to be a few folks that will call it whatever term they originally learned, and carry that along.

Eth

Quote from: formulanone on December 31, 2017, 06:09:53 PM
I pretty much say frontage road, unless some sign designates it "service road" or "access road".

It's not quite a regional thing like soda/pop or how you pronounce pin from pen: what I've seen on linguistic maps, it's more about what the local/state DOT calls it. After that, there's going to be a few folks that will call it whatever term they originally learned, and carry that along.

Yep. That's why the most natural term to me is "frontage road", because I grew up on the south side of Atlanta and that's what the old exit 79 on I-75 was signed as. (That exit was closed sometime in the '90s, but the road still exists between exits 235 and 238.) Yet that's probably not even the most common term among Atlantans, because many more are familiar with the I-85 Access Road between exits 89 and 99.

Mapmikey

There are many different ways to refer to frontage roads, and different terms seem to be predominant in different regions.  I would like to know which terms are dominant in specific regions.  Here is what I know:

Hmmm...since Virginia's frontage roads actually have their own F-series route numbers and referred to as frontage routes in VDOT's description of them, I will surmise the Wikipedia source may be overlooking something.

I'm sure you can find the term service road in Virginia, but...

There was also a time Virginia actually marked roads this way (in addition to an F-route).  A few are still signed as such...

https://goo.gl/maps/De5SDkZAH2B2

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: webny99 on December 31, 2017, 04:59:56 PM
It is correct that we call them service roads here in New York. Across the border in Ontario, they also call them service roads, although theirs are typically two-way and do not interfere with, or provide access to, interchanges.

At least on Long Island they're called service roads, such as those that run along the LIE and Sunrise Highway in Suffolk County.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 31, 2017, 08:21:41 PM

Hmmm...since Virginia's frontage roads actually have their own F-series route numbers and referred to as frontage routes in VDOT's description of them, I will surmise the Wikipedia source may be overlooking something.

There was also a time Virginia actually marked roads this way (in addition to an F-route).  A few are still signed as such...

I remember that in Virginia Beach, on Laskin Road (US 58), the local media referred to the parallel streets as service roads.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Beltway

I suppose that depends on where they are being discussed.  When I worked in VDOT roadway design in the early 1980s they were most commonly called service roads by the designers.

Probably both terms are used in various contexts in the state.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Otto Yamamoto

San Bernardino county: Outer Highway

P00I

SSOWorld

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on December 31, 2017, 10:53:00 PM
San Bernardino county: Outer Highway

P00I

Funny - sounds the opposite of the frontage road along the LSD in Chicago

Main Road: Outer Drive
Frontage Road: Inner Drive
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

slorydn1

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

1995hoo

Quote from: Beltway on December 31, 2017, 10:38:00 PM

I suppose that depends on where they are being discussed.  When I worked in VDOT roadway design in the early 1980s they were most commonly called service roads by the designers.

I've even heard DC-area traffic reporters incorrectly using the term "service roads" to refer to C/D roads on occasion (perhaps because listeners may not know what C/D roads are?).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Truvelo

Over here we refer to them as service roads.
Speed limits limit life

Mapmikey

Quote from: Beltway on December 31, 2017, 10:38:00 PM

There is an operational difference where the distinction might be made...

On Laskin Rd, there are accesses to the service road at places that are not otherwise intersections with Laskin Rd ( for example:  https://goo.gl/maps/eH1i9oqqY6B2).  Frontage Roads actually signed as F-xxxx do not to my recollection have these kinds of connections - only actual intersections.  Even Arlington County has F-routes (signed even in some cases, that meet this definition).

I do vaguely now recall the use of service road when I lived in Va Beach in 1991.

I also seem to recall seeing somewhere that F-routes are meant to be for providing access to property that is no longer accessible due to the configuration of a primary route.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.