It's 2018 and I still can't belive that...

Started by Roadgeekteen, January 01, 2018, 12:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 01, 2018, 12:01:52 AM
I made it first.

Nah. Regarding this forum, it was probably actually CNGL-Leudimin, or someone else even farther east.  :)

But despite living close to the East Coast, I actually have not made it yet myself - this is because right now I am in the beautiful state of California on a vacation. I will now be there in less than 3 hours, though.  :D

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Max Rockatansky

TheArkansasRoadgeek

CST has yet to see the New Year! ☹️

iPhone
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

jwolfer

Happy New Year to all my roadgeek friends... At the appropriate time for each individuals time one.. so for some this is belated... For some early... But Happy New Year none the less

Z981

US 89

Mountain time sucks for New Year. The ABC show is tape delayed one hour, and then at 10pm Mountain the show stops and there is local news for the next hour. You don't even get to see the ball drop until the re-run, which is at 2 am or something like that.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 01, 2018, 01:15:02 AM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on January 01, 2018, 12:30:09 AM
CST has yet to see the New Year! ☹️

iPhone
not true.

oh wait.... :awesomeface:
I think Fort Smith only had one firework... Poor ass town!

iPhone
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

J Route Z

That there are no flying cars on the road yet.

Bruce

We give out licenses to people without a thorough review and not re-test them until a serious incident happens.

We don't treat fatal collisions with people on bikes and on foot as serious homicides, and charge as such.

We don't adequately fund and manage public transportation, certainly not at the level of subsidies and other support that automobiles get.

We don't charge user fees for automobiles tearing up our roads, whose maintenance just isn't up to par.

We don't build conventional high-speed railways like literally every other industrialized nation on earth.

Hurricane Rex

The west wishes the country a happy new year!
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 01, 2018, 12:11:16 AM
I made it first.

Nah. Regarding this forum, it was probably actually CNGL-Leudimin, or someone else even farther east.  :)

I recognize Roadgeekteen's post as the first in 2018 as for forum purposes I use Eastern time, even though bugo did that in my real life time zone (Central Europe). I even mentioned the fact I was already in 2018 but my forum time wasn't yet when posting the New Year thread.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Brandon

Quote from: Bruce on January 01, 2018, 03:11:35 AM
We don't treat fatal collisions with people on bikes and on foot as serious homicides, and charge as such.

Because they're not, unless they're intentional.  They are considered crashes.  Unless you want to be like the Italians and charge pilots for committing errors while flying.  (which is damned asinine)

QuoteWe don't adequately fund and manage public transportation, certainly not at the level of subsidies and other support that automobiles get.

I see this often, but no one ever names the subsidies.  Name them.

QuoteWe don't charge user fees for automobiles tearing up our roads, whose maintenance just isn't up to par.

Actually, we do.  It's called a "gas tax".  Flipping it around, why don't we charge bicyclists a user fee for the bicycle lanes and bike paths they want?

QuoteWe don't build conventional high-speed railways like literally every other industrialized nation on earth.

You do realize that most places in North America are much, much farther apart than in Europe.  Flying is what originally killed rail, and would still be faster than most high-speed rail for our proposes.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hotdogPi

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 01, 2018, 04:06:24 AM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 01, 2018, 12:11:16 AM
I made it first.

I recognize 1's post as the first in 2018 as for forum purposes I use Eastern time, even though bugo did that in my real life time zone (Central Europe). I even mentioned the fact I was already in 2018 but my forum time wasn't yet when posting the New Year thread.

Which post? I don't remember posting after midnight.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

CNGL-Leudimin

Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Brandon on January 01, 2018, 07:58:57 AM

QuoteWe don't build conventional high-speed railways like literally every other industrialized nation on earth.

You do realize that most places in North America are much, much farther apart than in Europe.  Flying is what originally killed rail, and would still be faster than most high-speed rail for our proposes.

The average size of a country in Europe is about the size of Pennsylvania.  Its a lot easier to connect a country when you only have to go a few hundred miles.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 01, 2018, 10:24:19 AM
Quote from: Brandon on January 01, 2018, 07:58:57 AM

The average size of a country in Europe is about the size of Pennsylvania.  Its a lot easier to connect a country when you only have to go a few hundred miles.

Southern NH, MA, RI, CT, southern NY (downstate and lower upstate), eastern PA, NJ, DE, MD, DC, and northern VA is a region that is urban enough to be connected in this way. However, there is only one rail line that is faster than normal: the Acela. Anything not along the general I-95 corridor (such as Manchester, Lowell, Worcester, Hartford, Springfield, Waterbury, Albany, Long Island, Atlantic City, Dover, and Frederick) gets skipped.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

jeffandnicole

Start including the smaller cities in the area, and the 'high speed rail' slows down greatly.

I can't believe it's 2018 already, meaning that in two years it will be 2020.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

cjk374

....that spelling is a great challenge.  :banghead: :banghead:

....and that I let that bug me so much.  :pan: :pan:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jwolfer

Personal for me.. I can't believe this will be my 30 year high school reunion

Z981

US 89

Quote from: cjk374 on January 01, 2018, 12:07:03 PM
....that spelling is a great challenge.  :banghead: :banghead:

....and that I let that bug me so much.  :pan: :pan:

I didn't even notice until you posted this.

slorydn1

.....that people still type answers inside the post they quoted.  :happy:

Oh, and same for me jwolfer!
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

7/8

Quote from: slorydn1 on January 01, 2018, 01:13:37 PM
This annoys me too :bigass:

slorydn1

Quote from: 7/8 on January 01, 2018, 01:19:40 PM
Quote from: slorydn1 on January 01, 2018, 01:13:37 PM
This annoys me too :bigass:

I do totally get how it can happen though. When we use the quick reply box the cursor looks like its in the right spot so people just type. I have done it myself numerous times. But I proofread my post and I usually catch it before I hit post. Occasionally I don't catch it until after I posted, and then its a  :banghead:  and a quick edit job.  :)
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.