News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Mother Load of Signs

Started by US71, February 11, 2018, 06:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

1007 assorted signs being sold by the State of Maryland.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=17287&acctid=432#media

Current bid $3515.00  That's a little over $2 a sign

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cjk374

What a sign collector's dream!  :love:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on February 11, 2018, 06:46:05 PM

Who wants to go half on a U Haul Truck? ;)

Max Rockatansky

Up to $4,582 now, I didn't know Maryland had that kind of a collector following.

davewiecking

Quote from: US71 on February 11, 2018, 07:06:01 PM

4 not-very large pallets. Should fit in the back of my Suburban. OK; maybe 2 trips. "Most items are used and may contain defects." I wonder if the misspellings on the List of Items reflect the true wording on the signs. Not sure what I'd do with a "Slipper When Wet" sign. Or the "Hi on Hi" one.

US71

Quote from: davewiecking on February 11, 2018, 08:24:27 PM
Quote from: US71 on February 11, 2018, 07:06:01 PM

4 not-very large pallets. Should fit in the back of my Suburban. OK; maybe 2 trips. "Most items are used and may contain defects." I wonder if the misspellings on the List of Items reflect the true wording on the signs. Not sure what I'd do with a "Slipper When Wet" sign. Or the "Hi on Hi" one.

Go for it.

Scott5114

125 of them are route markers! Damn...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 11, 2018, 07:58:25 PM
Up to $4,582 now, I didn't know Maryland had that kind of a collector following.

Likely an out of state collector/reseller

jeffandnicole

I would doubt it's a collector.  They're looking for bargains or one-of-a-kind old signage.  The signage here is fairly generic, which would be useful to a small town or city that can get a lot of signage cheap.

It's interesting to see the bid history, and some extremely large jumps in the bids.

(Added...)

Could also be a restaurant chain (ie: TGI Fridays) that sometimes posts random signage around the restaurant.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US71 on February 12, 2018, 08:22:59 AM

There was a huge run of Maryland shields for $30-$40 a couple months back on eBay.  I didn't see anything that caught my eye but the amount of scrap signage seemed to be prolific.  Someone can probably make a killing reselling if they got the time and money.

US71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 12, 2018, 09:36:41 AM
Quote from: US71 on February 12, 2018, 08:22:59 AM

There was a huge run of Maryland shields for $30-$40 a couple months back on eBay.  I didn't see anything that caught my eye but the amount of scrap signage seemed to be prolific.  Someone can probably make a killing reselling if they got the time and money.

My first thought was "where's Jake?" ;)

US71

Winning bid $4582 ($4,856.92 with tax)

cjk374

Now watch eBay to see how many MD state route signs turn up for sale & flood the market.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cjk374 on February 14, 2018, 06:38:30 AM
Now watch eBay to see how many MD state route signs turn up for sale & flood the market.

They are usually pretty common to begin with so that ought to keep the starting prices somewhat low.  There has been a ton of Indiana stuff on eBay lately which has been running about $40 dollars for a US Route sign and $30 for a state highway.  There is a similar scrap guy from Texas who seems to be averaging close to $70-80 for state, US, and Interstate shields.  He started out in $40-50 territory but was clearing his inventory fast and bumped the prices up.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.