News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

John Hancock Center is No More

Started by Henry, February 13, 2018, 10:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 14, 2018, 05:56:29 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 14, 2018, 03:02:30 PM
This sucks. Whats next, renaming Fenway Park after some sh*t company or something like that?

Or worse, Wrigley Field.
It was named for the co-owner of the Cubs who also ran the chewing-gum company bearing his namesake.

formulanone

This sucks. Whats next, renaming Fenway Park after some sh*t company or something like that?

Or worse, Wrigley Field.

The prototypical example of a Named Stadium. I will say it does sound a lot classier than National Rental Car Center.

Curiously, which other sponsored stadium has stuck around for at least two decades (a sad state of "permanence")?

abefroman329

Quote from: Big John on February 14, 2018, 07:30:02 PM

Or worse, Wrigley Field.
It was named for the co-owner of the Cubs who also ran the chewing-gum company bearing his namesake.

Whoosh.

GreenLanternCorps

They could just say that the building is now named after John Hancock, signer of the Declaration of Independence, instead of John Hancock Insurance...

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: formulanone on February 15, 2018, 12:13:19 AM

Or worse, Wrigley Field.

The prototypical example of a Named Stadium. I will say it does sound a lot classier than National Rental Car Center.

Curiously, which other sponsored stadium has stuck around for at least two decades (a sad state of "permanence")?

Original Busch Stadium lasted well over 20 years and the new one likely will as well.
If you count that Chase bought Bank One, Chase Field in Arizona hits 20 this year
Coors Field is at 23
Tropicana Field is at 22
Raymond James Stadium hits 20 this year
Target Center is at 28
United Center is 24
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kkt

If a stadium was built with mostly public funds, I think it should be named after the place it was built, or the primary tenant.  Not some unrelated company.

Duke87

TIL the John Hancock Center in Chicago is named after an insurance company and not an 18th-century gentleman who likes to sign his name in really large script.

I find it odd that said Insurance company could demand the name be removed from the building. Their logos, sure, but would it not have been trivial to keep the name and just declare it to be named after the same person the insurance company is named after? It's not like they can claim a trademark on the name of a historical figure.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

US71

Quote from: Duke87 on February 16, 2018, 12:19:35 AM
TIL the John Hancock Center in Chicago is named after an insurance company and not an 18th-century gentleman who likes to sign his name in really large script.

I find it odd that said Insurance company could demand the name be removed from the building. Their logos, sure, but would it not have been trivial to keep the name and just declare it to be named after the same person the insurance company is named after? It's not like they can claim a trademark on the name of a historical figure.

Don't forget Willis Tower ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

roadman

Don't give John Henry any ideas.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kkt on February 15, 2018, 12:53:07 PM
If a stadium was built with mostly public funds, I think it should be named after the place it was built, or the primary tenant.  Not some unrelated company.

Although depending on the contract agreement, the stadium naming can help recoup some of those public funds spent.

abefroman329

Or worse, Wrigley Field.

If Philips Arena in Atlanta hasn't been around for 20 years, it's very close.  Ditto FedExField (yes, that's the proper rendering, no space between "Ex" and "Field).

Tropicana Field...probably?

abefroman329

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on February 15, 2018, 12:04:01 PM
They could just say that the building is now named after John Hancock, signer of the Declaration of Independence, instead of John Hancock Insurance...

Frankly, I always assumed it was, and that the Hancock Center in Boston was named for the insurance company.

ilpt4u

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 15, 2018, 12:28:47 PM

Or worse, Wrigley Field.

Original Busch Stadium lasted well over 20 years and the new one likely will as well.
If you count that Chase bought Bank One, Chase Field in Arizona hits 20 this year
Coors Field is at 23
Tropicana Field is at 22
Raymond James Stadium hits 20 this year
Target Center is at 28
United Center is 24
PacBell/SBC/AT&T Park in San Fran has to be up there. It has been sponsored by Pacific Bell, which was bought by SBC, which then bought AT&T and changed it's named to AT&T, hence now AT&T Park. I guess it hasn't been 20 years yet, as the stadium opened in 2000

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.