News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Utility of near-side signals

Started by Zmapper, March 13, 2018, 03:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zmapper

Are there any studies on if near-side accessory traffic signals are useful? A quick Google search wasn't all that helpful to me.

In Wisconsin, until a few years ago the state required that every signal installation include a near-side signal aligned with the crossbar. I personally find that signal useful when driving as it's another re-enforcing indicator of exactly where to stop in addition to the stop bar.

I'd speculate that near-side accessory signals provide intersection 'definition'. Far side-only signals are a 2-D plane away from the intersection, while near-side signals are a 3-D 'box' encompassing the intersection.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zmapper on March 13, 2018, 03:17:31 PM
Are there any studies on if near-side accessory traffic signals are useful? A quick Google search wasn't all that helpful to me.

In Wisconsin, until a few years ago the state required that every signal installation include a near-side signal aligned with the crossbar. I personally find that signal useful when driving as it's another re-enforcing indicator of exactly where to stop in addition to the stop bar.

I'd speculate that near-side accessory signals provide intersection 'definition'. Far side-only signals are a 2-D plane away from the intersection, while near-side signals are a 3-D 'box' encompassing the intersection.

NJ does this on nearly every signalized intersection.  Definitely helps, especially when there's larger vehicles in front of you.

mgk920

Across the 'Pond', the standard in Europe is to *not* use signals on the far (trailing) side of the intersection, this to keep traffic stopped behind the stop line.  If you stop beyond the line, you'll have no idea what the current correct aspect of the signal is.  It is not unusual to also have a very low mounted signal head set up so that the driver of the first vehicle in line can also know what the status is.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.