News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Fastest Fast Food

Started by webny99, April 02, 2018, 10:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adventurernumber1

Quote from: spooky on April 13, 2018, 08:19:22 AM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on April 12, 2018, 03:46:37 PM
This is off-topic, but something absolutely hilarious just happened (regarding a fast food restaurant). My mom and I were in the drive-thru at Captain D.'s, and suddenly, something happened. My mom was ordering, but all of a sudden, several wasps or hornets (or whatever they were) started flying around her window (where she was speaking out of). She had to roll up that window (because they wouldn't leave), and she had to roll down the back window. Then, she proceeded to shout our order, and the person could hardly hear us. Because of the whole mess, there were some missed things in our order (though it wasn't their fault this time - it was those flying, stinging demons!). After the whole mess was over, we absolutely died laughing about it. I'm cracking up right now thinking about it.   :-D   :rofl:

If you were bubbling and/or if this will still crack you up when you're 45 then I know a guy who might be your spirit animal.

Quote from: hbelkins on April 13, 2018, 11:02:59 AM
Stinging insects in the car are no laughing matter, at least not where I'm concerned. I'm not one of those who is terribly allergic to stings, and have to carry a candy bar or some medicine around in case I get stung, but I don't want one in the car with me while I'm driving. I went to high school with a girl who was deathly allergic to stings. She carried a candy bar at all times to eat if she got stung; that would supposedly keep her from suffering difficulties until proper medicine could be administered.

They tend to congregate around trash cans at restaurants and gas stations in the fall, when they're looking for nutrients and are attracted to sugar in discarded pop bottles or cans.

I truly, sincerely apologize for that. I only found it funny since my mother and I are not allergic to these things whatsoever, so in this case there was very little potential for serious harm, and for us, it was only chaotic (but not very dangerous) for a short moment. If this happened to someone to was deathly allergic to these insects, I would find it horrifying and not funny at all. The main thing my mom and I were laughing about was the fact that she was shouting our order through the back window, and the employee could hardly hear what we were saying, as a result. Thankfully, these demons never actually entered our car, but they were flying around the side of the car (2 or 3 of them). I feel absolutely terrible about this, so please do accept my apologies.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

jakeroot

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on April 13, 2018, 06:31:18 PM
Stinging insects in the car are no laughing matter, at least not where I'm concerned.

I truly, sincerely apologize for that. I only found it funny since my mother and I are not allergic to these things whatsoever, so in this case there was very little potential for serious harm, and for us, it was only chaotic (but not very dangerous) for a short moment.

Don't apologise to HB. Your job is not to feel bad for him or anyone else allergic to bee stings. In your case, what you experienced was funny because A) there was no real harm to you, and B) the situation was chaotic. I personally laughed when I read your post, although I found it funny in a sort of black comedy way, since the situation you describe actually sounds frightening to me.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on April 13, 2018, 06:44:53 PM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on April 13, 2018, 06:31:18 PM
Stinging insects in the car are no laughing matter, at least not where I'm concerned.

I truly, sincerely apologize for that. I only found it funny since my mother and I are not allergic to these things whatsoever, so in this case there was very little potential for serious harm, and for us, it was only chaotic (but not very dangerous) for a short moment.

Don't apologise to HB. Your job is not to feel bad for him or anyone else allergic to bee stings. In your case, what you experienced was funny because A) there was no real harm to you, and B) the situation was chaotic. I personally laughed when I read your post, although I found it funny in a sort of black comedy way, since the situation you describe actually sounds frightening to me.

I laughed too, it was just a funny experience; not like you were laughing at the actual bees themselves.

Also, since you included the quote from spooky above, I think he was inferring that bandit957 might be your spirit animal. Of course, that isn't even remotely close to the truth, and not something you should have to apologize for :-D

signalman

Quote from: webny99 on April 13, 2018, 11:56:17 PM
Also, since you included the quote from spooky above, I think he was inferring that bandit957 might be your spirit animal.
He implied it. You (and anyone else who picked up on it) were the one(s) who inferred it.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: signalman on April 14, 2018, 01:34:00 AM
Also, since you included the quote from spooky above, I think he was inferring that bandit957 might be your spirit animal.
He implied it. You (and anyone else who picked up on it) were the one(s) who inferred it.

And I was definitely not one of the people who picked up on it. I thought "bubbling" was used in the context of me having exhilaratingly positive joy, and that he was saying some evil person was my spirit animal (I had no idea he was referring to bandit957, and that "bubbling" was used in the context of blowing bubbles with bubble gum). I took it as I was being scolded.

This reminds me of how pessimistic I am when it comes to myself (having a perceptual set to perceive everything that happens to me as negative, including what people say to me, even if it is actually not), and how horrific I am at picking up on things and hints (usually).

:pan:   :ded:   :rofl:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Scott5114

Quote from: jakeroot on April 13, 2018, 06:06:04 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 13, 2018, 06:00:27 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 13, 2018, 05:50:33 PM
Is the home delivery handled by the restaurant itself, or a separate company? Home deliveries are only a thing in the US now with Uber Eats, which allows you to place an order at almost every restaurant with a take-away option, and have another person pick it up and deliver it to you. I've never done it, but I've heard it's decently quick.

In all cases the home delivery is done by the restaurants themselves. I've spotted many Burger King and Domino's bikes in my hometown since they first opened (in 2012 and 2016 respectively).

Interesting. The only restaurants in the US that deliver on their own are, generally, pizza places.

And Chinese restaurants.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Quote from: signalman on April 14, 2018, 01:34:00 AM

Huh. This caused me to google "imply vs infer", and I found out, of course, that you are indeed correct. That was an interesting vocabulary lesson because I always thought they were synonyms (not opposites).

In any case, the main inference I actually wanted to make is that spooky probably did this as humor, not as scolding or admonishment (though it would be easy to accidentally take it the wrong way, since it didn't sound very complimentary). But we are way off topic by now, so back to fast food... :-D :pan:

signalman

Quote from: webny99 on April 14, 2018, 12:57:15 PM
Huh. This caused me to google "imply vs infer", and I found out, of course, that you are indeed correct. That was an interesting vocabulary lesson because I always thought they were synonyms (not opposites).
Sorry for calling you out and I certainly hope that I didn't offend you.  What you did is a common mistake, and it just irks me to no end. Another common phrase that I quickly call out is "I could care less," when in reality they mean they couldn't care less.  I always ask how much less they can care, often resulting in a rather confused look.  FWIW, I didn't know who spooky was referencing at first either.  That being said, thank you for clearing that one up for me.

Now back to the topic at hand.  Sorry for veering OT once again.

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 14, 2018, 05:37:08 AM
Is the home delivery handled by the restaurant itself, or a separate company? Home deliveries are only a thing in the US now with Uber Eats, which allows you to place an order at almost every restaurant with a take-away option, and have another person pick it up and deliver it to you. I've never done it, but I've heard it's decently quick.

In all cases the home delivery is done by the restaurants themselves. I've spotted many Burger King and Domino's bikes in my hometown since they first opened (in 2012 and 2016 respectively).

Interesting. The only restaurants in the US that deliver on their own are, generally, pizza places.

And Chinese restaurants.

There are a number of small-town restaurants that will deliver within a short distance of their location. I know of at least two where I work.

As for the stinging insect thing -- no, I'm not allergic, but I find being stung to be an unpleasant situation to avoid at all costs. And you ingest the candy bar.

And I got the bandit reference. I knew exactly who was being referred to.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 14, 2018, 05:37:08 AM

And Chinese restaurants.

That's true. Teriyaki in my area, mostly. Although most of the restaurants will only deliver if you order enough to make it worth while. At Happy Teriyaki #3 in Tacoma, the minimum delivery order is $20.

Quote from: hbelkins on April 14, 2018, 04:05:13 PM
you ingest the candy bar.

What does this do?

hbelkins

Quote from: jakeroot on April 14, 2018, 05:48:49 PM

What does this do?

I have no idea. And I'm not in contact any longer with the school friend who did this so I can't ask.

webny99

Quote from: signalman on April 14, 2018, 02:11:51 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 14, 2018, 12:57:15 PM
Sorry for calling you out and I certainly hope that I didn't offend you.

Another common phrase that I quickly call out is "I could care less," when in reality they mean they couldn't care less.  I always ask how much less they can care, often resulting in a rather confused look.

Heck no, nothing of the sort. Learn something new every day... and I'm one for preferring knowledge to ignorance, so I'm more than OK with standing corrected  :)
I've always regarded "could care less" as the sarcastic version. I know what is meant - that the subject doesn't have strong feelings on the issue... so tend not to correct, as it's possible that "could care less" (even non-sarcastically) also applies.

QuoteNow back to the topic at hand.  Sorry for veering OT once again.

We still haven't reached, or even come close to, the off-topic level of the "Eating in the Car" thread (which, for the unaware, has morphed into "Wildlife Mitigation Strategies")  :-D

Anyways, Jimmy John's is another restaurant that delivers themselves, but I'm not sure if other sub shops do this or not.

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on April 14, 2018, 06:10:20 PM

What does this do?

I have no idea. And I'm not in contact any longer with the school friend who did this so I can't ask.

Oooooh. So you don't personally practice this? I think I misunderstood your previous post. My bad.

Scott5114

I would imagine that the candy bar is to cause a blood sugar spike for some reason, though I'm not well-versed in medicine enough to understand why that would be a desirable effect in that situation.

hbelkins

Quote from: jakeroot on April 14, 2018, 07:20:17 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 14, 2018, 06:10:20 PM

What does this do?

Oooooh. So you don't personally practice this? I think I misunderstood your previous post. My bad.

No. I'm not allergic to stings. They just hurt like heck and are to be avoided if possible.

When I was young, I got stung three times on the back by hornets. I only felt the first one.

webny99

I've come up with a new and rather intuitive way to measure "fastest" fast food. It depends on the chance of the line at the pick-up window backing up into the line at the order point. If it does, the restaurant probably has a chronic problem with slow service*.

For example, one of the Dunkin's I visit regularly has capacity for only two cars between the order point and the pick-up window. At busy times, they'll take three orders fairly quickly, which fills all the available space between the two points. Then the fourth car pulls forward and orders. If the first car hasn't cleared the pick-up window, the fourth car is stuck, with nowhere to pull forward. Now both lines are waiting on the car at the window, and no more orders can even be taken until he clears.

Contrast that to Wendy's; I noticed, waiting in line to order the other day, that every car in the line had space to pull forward once they ordered; in other words, orders were being taken and processed at equal rates. When the guy in front of me ordered and pulled forward, simultaneously, a car pulled away from the pick-up window, so then I was guaranteed space to pull up before I'd even finished ordering. That's what I call efficiency.

If I ran a fast-food place, it would be my worst nightmare to have the line for the pick-up window back up into the line to order. If you can take four orders faster than you can process one, something's a little messed up.

*Or maybe, the design of the drive-thru lacked adequate forethought. Or maybe both; the two often seem to accompany each other!

Scott5114

Bad metric. You'll often go 10 minutes or so with no orders at all and then get four or five people pull in at once. This could be due to stoplights metering traffic, something happening like a shift ending at a nearby business, etc.

Flint1979

It seems like the places around here are hit or miss. Wendy's for example during their lunch hour can be quick but any other time of the day they tend to be slower service which is still decent speed for a fast food restaurant but I can't count how many times I've been in the Wendy's by my house where people would stand in line and turn around and walk back out the door because they knew it was going to take awhile and people complain a lot too.

I haven't ate at a Burger King in over 10 years but remember that place being quite slow with service.

I also remember when Hot N Now was open we use to call it Cold N Later for well you get the idea.

It becomes extremely frustrating at the McDonald's by my house, it's open 24 hour dining room and drive thru. You wait for 5 minutes almost any time you go in there in the middle of the night.

Arby's around here is pretty quick.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 21, 2018, 01:07:03 AM
Bad metric. You'll often go 10 minutes or so with no orders at all and then get four or five people pull in at once. This could be due to stoplights metering traffic, something happening like a shift ending at a nearby business, etc.

Yes, but it's always a bad sign when the two lines run into each other. No matter how fast people arrive, you should be able to process the first order (unless it's an exceptionally big order) and have that car clear the pick-up window before you've taken three more orders. This doesn't apply as much during slow periods; it's only noticeable when there's a line at the order point. That's the only time it matters, anyways (or at least, that's the only time I care about speed of service - when there's a long line!).

It depends on order size, too; orders usually are smaller at Dunkin' compared to other fast food places, which may explain why this happens. They can take orders faster, but processing them doesn't really take less time; certain motions have to be gone through no matter how big the order is.

jeffandnicole

It appears your entire matrix is based upon the length of the space between the order speaker and the pickup window.   If there's room for 10 vehicles, a vehicle comes once every 5 minutes, and it takes 30 minutes to pick up an order, you consider that faster because there's still room to immediately pull up to the speaker than people paying and getting their meal in 10 seconds because there was only room for 2 vehicles and there was already a car at the speaker.

Quote from: webny99 on June 21, 2018, 08:38:32 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 21, 2018, 01:07:03 AM

Yes, but it's always a bad sign when the two lines run into each other. No matter how fast people arrive, you should be able to process the first order (unless it's an exceptionally big order) and have that car clear the pick-up window before you've taken three more orders. This doesn't apply as much during slow periods; it's only noticeable when there's a line at the order point. That's the only time it matters, anyways (or at least, that's the only time I care about speed of service - when there's a long line!).

It depends on order size, too; orders usually are smaller at Dunkin' compared to other fast food places, which may explain why this happens. They can take orders faster, but processing them doesn't really take less time; certain motions have to be gone through no matter how big the order is.

You can also get someone at the pickup window that insists they review their bag before they leave, or maybe they start arguing that they ordered a hamburger and not a cheeseburger, and they want that hamburger.  Even if this was truly the fault of the customer, it's not the restaurants fault that it was suddenly slow.  And while some restaurants do have people pull up or park to wait for their meal, not all of them do this.

hbelkins

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 21, 2018, 08:56:50 AM
You can also get someone at the pickup window that insists they review their bag before they leave

I've had so many orders that have been wrong that I won't fault anyone for doing this, and I should be doing this more often.

And to think that the people who can confuse a simple order for a giant roast beef combo for a beef and cheddar with two cookies think they deserve to earn $15 an hour. (Happened to me at the Arby's in Frankfort, Ky., not long ago; I didn't realize the error until I was well away from the restaurant and didn't have time to go back.)

abefroman329

Quote from: webny99 on June 20, 2018, 09:00:11 PM
I've come up with a new and rather intuitive way to measure "fastest" fast food. It depends on the chance of the line at the pick-up window backing up into the line at the order point. If it does, the restaurant probably has a chronic problem with slow service*.

For example, one of the Dunkin's I visit regularly has capacity for only two cars between the order point and the pick-up window. At busy times, they'll take three orders fairly quickly, which fills all the available space between the two points. Then the fourth car pulls forward and orders. If the first car hasn't cleared the pick-up window, the fourth car is stuck, with nowhere to pull forward. Now both lines are waiting on the car at the window, and no more orders can even be taken until he clears.

Contrast that to Wendy's; I noticed, waiting in line to order the other day, that every car in the line had space to pull forward once they ordered; in other words, orders were being taken and processed at equal rates. When the guy in front of me ordered and pulled forward, simultaneously, a car pulled away from the pick-up window, so then I was guaranteed space to pull up before I'd even finished ordering. That's what I call efficiency.

If I ran a fast-food place, it would be my worst nightmare to have the line for the pick-up window back up into the line to order. If you can take four orders faster than you can process one, something's a little messed up.

*Or maybe, the design of the drive-thru lacked adequate forethought. Or maybe both; the two often seem to accompany each other!

I'm not sure if this is what you're describing, but I think "long wait to order and/or long wait between order and pickup + few/no cars in front of you in line" is a better indicator of poor wait times than a long line.  It's possible to have a long line and a short wait to order and receive your order.

Flint1979

I one time sat second in line behind a car that took 8 minutes at the drive thru window at Wendy's one time. I was not happy and kept saying come the fuck on hurry the hell up jesus Wendy's. The driver of the car in front of me goes the guy behind me is all pissed off. I was though 8 freaking minutes to get an order at a Wendy's drive thru window?

Another time about 6 or so years ago it was about 4am and I was on my way to Chicago for a few days I stopped at a McDonald's in East Lansing, Michigan and just got a breakfast sandwich. Upon getting my sandwich everything was burnt, the bun, the egg, the sausage everything. So I went and pounded on the window to get their attention and told them I either want a new one or my money back. I got a new one because I wasn't about to go looking for another McDonald's at 4am. That didn't have anything to do with the speed of their service though.

kkt

I hate trying to eat while driving.  I pretty much always stop and go inside.  If I'm in a hurry, I will eat the sandwich and fries (or whatever finger food) and then take the drink with me to sip while on the road.

I'm the only driver in the family and have a manual transmission, which might have something to do with it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.