News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Fastest Fast Food

Started by webny99, April 02, 2018, 10:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on April 05, 2018, 04:40:35 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 03, 2018, 04:26:59 AM
The slowest place is definitely Five Guys, although you could argue they aren't fast food.

They aren't fast food, and I don't know of anyone around here who considers them to be fast food. I think the lack of table service gives people the illusion of fast food, but there's simply no comparison between Five Guys and a precooked Wendys/McDonalds/BK burger.

The difference is the preparation style, not the speed. Perhaps it takes slightly longer than a Wendy's or BK burger, but it still comes out of the kitchen the moment the meal is ready, which is the primary difference between it and sit-down table service restaurants (which might delay your food so they don't feel like they're rushing you).

As far as I'm concerned, Five Guys is plenty fast enough. It's still way faster than sitting down at Red Robin or Olive Garden. If Five Guys is too long of a wait for you, consider giving yourself more time for lunch.

Flint1979

I went to a Five Guys for the first time tonight and thought the food was pretty good, the service wasn't bad either. It seems like it takes awhile but it wasn't too bad to me.

Rothman

Love Five Guys.  Better than In-N-Out.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cpzilliacus

Thoughts on these:

1. McDonald's has both fast and slow stores - seems to vary by  location (and presumably the people that own the franchise for that location).

2.  Five Guys is good, but not that fast, because I believe everything there is cooked to order.

3. Sonic is pretty good, and the service times seem consistent. 

4. In-N-Out has the best burgers and fries to be found in fast food land, but they can get rather slow when there are a lot of customers in line (in other words, they do not seem to be able to speed things up when a lot of people show up, perhaps due to how the line works in the stores). But people do not seem to mind waiting for In-N-Out, and I don't either.

5. Wendy's and Roy Rogers are similar in many ways.  They are usually pretty  fast, though there are times at certain stores (especially Wendy's - where things re extremely slow).  But Wendy's and Roy Rogers are consistently good at what they sell, rather like In-N-Out. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 05, 2018, 05:25:11 PM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on April 05, 2018, 04:54:55 PM
The slowest place is definitely Five Guys, although you could argue they aren't fast food.
They aren't fast food, and I don't know of anyone around here who considers them to be fast food. I think the lack of table service gives people the illusion of fast food, but there's simply no comparison between Five Guys and a precooked Wendys/McDonalds/BK burger.
That's true. I think similarly of places like Subway and Panera Bread (they aren't formal sit-down restaurants, but they don't have everything a typical fast food place has such as drive-thrus). These places fall somewhere in between formal sit-down restaurants and fast food restaurants, but I'm not sure of the terminology of what we call them. And actually (while off-topic), interestingly, in my town (Dalton, GA), the Five Guys and Panera Bread here share the same building (which is off of GA SR 52 a little ways from I-75's Exit 333).

Places like Five Guys, Chipotle, Panera, etc are considered "fast casual" restaurants.

So is Applebee's. I've heard that term used for them many times.

Not sure if it would also apply to similar restaurants like Chili's, O'Charley's, etc.

I'm no Applebee's fan, but I do like Chili's. I've only eaten at O'Charley's a couple of times, and it was OK.

Never had Ruby Tuesday's. I'm drawing a blank on the names of other, similar restaurants.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on April 07, 2018, 07:50:58 PM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on April 05, 2018, 04:54:55 PM
That's true. I think similarly of places like Subway and Panera Bread (they aren't formal sit-down restaurants, but they don't have everything a typical fast food place has such as drive-thrus). These places fall somewhere in between formal sit-down restaurants and fast food restaurants, but I'm not sure of the terminology of what we call them. And actually (while off-topic), interestingly, in my town (Dalton, GA), the Five Guys and Panera Bread here share the same building (which is off of GA SR 52 a little ways from I-75's Exit 333).

Places like Five Guys, Chipotle, Panera, etc are considered "fast casual" restaurants.

Not sure if it would also apply to similar restaurants like Chili's, O'Charley's, etc.

I'm no Applebee's fan, but I do like Chili's. I've only eaten at O'Charley's a couple of times, and it was OK.

Never had Ruby Tuesday's. I'm drawing a blank on the names of other, similar restaurants.

Applebee's and Chili's are both full restaurants.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: 1 on April 07, 2018, 07:52:36 PM

Yes. One of the differences between fast casual places and full restaurants is that while both make your food to order, the former does not have assigned seating/waited tables while the latter does.

jwolfer

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 07, 2018, 08:33:26 PM

Yes. One of the differences between fast casual places and full restaurants is that while both make your food to order, the former does not have assigned seating/waited tables while the latter does.
Applebee's etc are "quick service" restaurants I think

Z981

Rothman

Quote from: jwolfer on April 07, 2018, 10:48:31 PM

Z981

Applebee's is not fast food.  Period.

Applebee's does not serve edible food in any matter.  Period.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

Quote from: Rothman on April 07, 2018, 10:49:58 PM

Quote from: jwolfer on April 07, 2018, 10:48:31 PM

Z981

Applebee's is not fast food.  Period.

Applebee's does not serve edible food in any matter.  Period.
I'm pretty sure that Applebee's would fall under Casual dining.

Flint1979

A Fast casual place is something like a Panera Bread or Five Guys.

jakeroot

I have only ever categorised restaurants into two groups: fast food, and sit-down. All this talk about "quick service" and "casual dining" seems unnecessarily specific.

Flint1979

Quote from: jakeroot on April 07, 2018, 11:20:29 PM
I have only ever categorised restaurants into two groups: fast food, and sit-down. All this talk about "quick service" and "casual dining" seems unnecessarily specific.
I wouldn't think of Five Guys or Panera Bread as either fast food or sit down really.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 07, 2018, 11:22:19 PM
I wouldn't think of Five Guys or Panera Bread as either fast food or sit down really.

...Right, which is precisely why the term "fast casual" came into being. It's a restaurant that serves food relatively quickly, though somewhat slower than typical "fast food," yet there's also no wait staff or any of the other formalities of a typical restaurant.

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 07, 2018, 11:36:20 PM

...Right, which is precisely why the term "fast casual" came into being. It's a restaurant that serves food relatively quickly, though somewhat slower than typical "fast food," yet there's also no wait staff or any of the other formalities of a typical restaurant.

I understand the minor differences between fast casual and fast food, but fast casual is still just a variation of fast food. The same way a liftback is still a hatchback. I just don't get as specific as some seem to.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 07, 2018, 12:19:28 AM
I went to a Five Guys for the first time tonight and thought the food was pretty good, the service wasn't bad either. It seems like it takes awhile but it wasn't too bad to me.

I found it to not only be unmemorable but incredibly expensive for the type of restaurant it is. I'd rather spend that kind of money at somewhere that warrants it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Flint1979

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 08, 2018, 01:18:32 AM

I found it to not only be unmemorable but incredibly expensive for the type of restaurant it is. I'd rather spend that kind of money at somewhere that warrants it.
I found it to be very expensive as well but the food was good so I didn't complain but it's not a place I'm going to frequent so I guess it had to do. My friend I was with bought it I was on my way home from Detroit and we drove around for awhile and couldn't decide on what we wanted to eat. We only were going as far south as 8 Mile so I didn't want to really trek into the city during rush hour. But we ended up at a Five Guys in Auburn Hills, Michigan and it seemed to be pretty steady for business on a Friday night not sure how busy they are at other times.

Flint1979

Culver's is another one and has some real good food. You just get your order and go sit down and wait for it to be made.

Flint1979

Quote from: jakeroot on April 08, 2018, 12:07:27 AM

I understand the minor differences between fast casual and fast food, but fast casual is still just a variation of fast food. The same way a liftback is still a hatchback. I just don't get as specific as some seem to.
Fast food is like McDonald's, Wendy's or Burger King where you just wait at the counter for your food and it's usually pretty quick. Fast casual is like Culver's, Panera Bread or Five Guys where you put in your order at the counter and go sit down and wait for it to be made, I can't remember if Five Guys or Panera Bread brings it out to you but Culver's does.

jakeroot

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 08, 2018, 01:53:55 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 08, 2018, 12:07:27 AM

Fast food is like McDonald's, Wendy's or Burger King where you just wait at the counter for your food and it's usually pretty quick. Fast casual is like Culver's, Panera Bread or Five Guys where you put in your order at the counter and go sit down and wait for it to be made, I can't remember if Five Guys or Panera Bread brings it out to you but Culver's does.

I think Panera does, but Five Guys definitely doesn't. On the other hand, Carl's Jr/Hardee's and Chick-fil-A also bring your food to your table, and most consider them "fast food". These discrepancies are why I prefer to use either "fast food" or "sit-down". Every restaurant, be it fast food or sit-down, has it's own little way of operating. The important differentiating feature between sit-down and fast food really should just be whether or not your food is prepared immediately after you order it, and is given to you the moment it's finished...or not. This is how everything from Five Guys to BK to Panera to Wendy's operates. On the other hand, virtually all sit-down restaurants delay your food in some capacity, bring out appetizers and menus, and so on.

I'm not trying to argue that the term "fast casual" shouldn't exist. I'm just saying that it's not an equal term with "fast food" or "sit-down". It's subordinate to "fast food". Five Guys and Panera are "fast casual fast food", if you will.

Rothman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 08, 2018, 01:18:32 AM

Such as?

KEVIN_224

What throws me about Five Guys is the menu being a bit complicated, just putting one of their big burgers together. Some items are listed in red. Some listed in black. There's one on West 34th Street, a block west of Madison Square Garden/Penn Station. Pretty pricey as one would expect. It was good though! I was on the grounds of one in South Portland, ME last year. Took a pass on it. Just on Maine Mall Road alone you have them, Friendly's, Wendy's and a couple of others.

hbelkins

I like Five Guys, although I would prefer that their fries be less soggy/floppy and more crunchy/crisp. (I once heard a rant about the word "crispy" and why it should not exist, because "crisp" means the same thing with one less letter.) It is expensive, which is why the novelty has worn off a bit for me since the first time I dined there.

I've discovered that a number of places have burgers just as good as Five Guys, and usually less expensive (Culver's and Cook Out.)

I have yet to experience In N Out. I'm not impressed whatsoever with Smashburger or Whataburger.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

Whataburger was ok not something I was overly impressed with though. I was in Austin and saw one and had heard about it so I tried it. Like I said it was alright nothing special really though.

traffic light guy

McDonalds- extremely face

Taco Bell- fairly fast

Wendys- in-between

Taco Bell or anything else- so and so

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.