News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

M Street Radio Directory

Started by bandit957, April 15, 2018, 06:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Anyone else remember the legendary M Street Radio Directories of the '90s, and how cool they were?

These books listed every radio station in America and their format.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

GenExpwy

Henry

Wow, this was before Radio-Locator.com and RadioStationWorld.com came along, and it's a rather nice compilation indeed! Seeing old stations that no longer exist really take you back...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bandit957

I just looked at RadioStationWorld.com, and I've noticed how dangerously crowded the FM dial has become. There's an FM translator for WLW now at 94.5, which would completely block the 94.5 in Lexington that I used to listen to.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hbelkins

This is interesting to me for work-related reasons. I need to compile an updated list of radio stations in my 10-county district, and the Kentucky Broadcasters Association no longer maintains a publicly-accessible list. Or at least they didn't last time I checked.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GenExpwy

Quote from: hbelkins on April 17, 2018, 12:40:50 PM
This is interesting to me for work-related reasons. I need to compile an updated list of radio stations in my 10-county district, and the Kentucky Broadcasters Association no longer maintains a publicly-accessible list. Or at least they didn't last time I checked.

Another resource that might be helpful is the FCC. The AM Query, FM Query, and TV Query allow you to search within a specified distance (km) of a specified point (deg/min/sec coordinates).

BamaZeus

I still have a copy of White's Radio Log from the early 80's.  I used to love DXing to hear how other parts of the country lived.  Pre-internet, it was interesting to me to hear local news reports from around the eastern half of the country to show me there was life outside of Connecticut.

Road Hog

Quote from: bandit957 on April 17, 2018, 10:14:11 AM
I just looked at RadioStationWorld.com, and I've noticed how dangerously crowded the FM dial has become. There's an FM translator for WLW now at 94.5, which would completely block the 94.5 in Lexington that I used to listen to.
That's definitely true in DFW. There are only two clear frequencies in DFW proper, 99.9 and 104.1 (the latter came open when Citadel and Cumulus merger and Cumulus shut it down). The in-between frequencies are filled with outlying stations in places like Sherman and Greenville. The best channel I can use for my cheapo FM converter is 88.7.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.