News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highway viewing vantage points

Started by briantroutman, April 17, 2018, 03:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Found a really good one on Belmont Avenue in Fresno to look at the interchange for CA 41 with CA 180/168.

IMG_4869 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Visited another one of my favorite vantage points on Moro Rock overlooking the Generals Highway (far right).

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Which proved useful today given the current year 2 mile construction zone is easily observed by the cars backing up at the unmanned signal at the upper right.  Traffic wasn't so much an issue going downhill but uphill traffic was sitting for a solid 10 minutes a time.

IMG_5144 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

There was an even wider vantage point of the Generals Highway at an overlook east of Moro Rock called "Hanging Rock."

IMG_5181 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Hume Lake Road in Sequoia National Forest has a really good hidden overlook of CA 180 snaking down into Kings Canyon.  Incidentally there was some Caltrans trucks parked near the cliffs on the left which are obviously there to work on reopening the highway for summer.

IMG_4969 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

texaskdog

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 17, 2018, 09:54:29 PM
Duluth’s Rose Garden situated on top of one of the I-35 tunnels offers a great view of some of the final stretch of I-35 leading to its northern terminus where it emerges from the final portal.

The original garden was removed during the I-35 tunnel project; MnDOT provided space for a new garden to be built on top of the freeway that was three times larger than the old one.

Indeed this is one of my favorite spots in all of Duluth.

When we would climb Enger Tower I always liked looking at the I535 crossing

Jim

The St. Louis Science Center has a pedestrian bridge over "Highway 40" (I-64 to people from everywhere except StL).  You don't get the road noise, since it's all enclosed, but they do have radar guns you can use to measure the speed of the vehicles that are about to pass under you.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

MCRoads

The (not so) new " Sissortail flycatcher"  bridge over I-40 in DT OKC is a great place to do it. Heck, they even invite you to do it! They have benches, and no fences! I'm sure Scotty knows what I'm referring to, but for those who don't, its the weird ass bridge over I-40 just after shields. Don't ask me how that looks like a bird, because I don't know.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: texaskdog on April 22, 2018, 10:12:33 PM
When we would climb Enger Tower I always liked looking at the I535 crossing

Ah yes, I forgot about this. I wonder how many other places there are where you can see an entire Interstate from end to end. It'll be a particularly great vantage point for the next few years as the I-35 interchange is rebuilt.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Flint1979

Castle Rock in the U.P. of Michigan has an excellent view of I-75 and the surrounding area. It's at exit 348 about 5 miles north of the Mackinac Bridge.

Bickendan

The OHSU station of the Aerial Tram has a very nice view of the Ross Island Maze. Rocky Butte has a good view of I-84's approach to I-205.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 24, 2018, 05:14:40 PM
Castle Rock in the U.P. of Michigan has an excellent view of I-75 and the surrounding area. It's at exit 348 about 5 miles north of the Mackinac Bridge.

The Bridge Park just off of US 2 is pretty good too and probably is even better to watch freight ships go by.

The coastal batteries direct south of the Golden Gate Bridge are the best places to view actual vehicle traffic on the bridge.

IMG_4162 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 25, 2018, 07:56:45 AM

The Bridge Park just off of US 2 is pretty good too and probably is even better to watch freight ships go by.

The coastal batteries direct south of the Golden Gate Bridge are the best places to view actual vehicle traffic on the bridge.

To see the Mackinac Bridge and shipping traffic that's a nice park. To see the entire area Castle Rock is better I think and you can watch I-75 traffic as well. There's a stretch of I-75 in the U.P. that only sees about 3,000 vehicles a day.

cbeach40

Do enjoy the view from the Sheraton Boston of the Mass Pike/I-90.
and waterrrrrrr!

Flint1979

Quote from: cbeach40 on April 25, 2018, 04:39:22 PM
Do enjoy the view from the Sheraton Boston of the Mass Pike/I-90.
That was a nice hotel to stay in. First time I went to Boston I was wondering what the heck it was.

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 25, 2018, 07:56:45 AM

I love the approaches to the anchorages on the Mackinac Bridge. I think they are about 1.5 miles long.

jmd41280

The observation deck at the Terminal Tower in Cleveland offers vantage points of several of the interstates in the area.

I-77

I-77 South from Terminal Tower by Jon Dawson, on Flickr

I-90 at the Innerbelt Bridge (though this bridge has been replaced since this photo was taken in 2012)

Innerbelt Bridge from Terminal Tower by Jon Dawson, on Flickr

I-71

Interstate 71 South from Terminal Tower by Jon Dawson, on Flickr
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

mrpablue

I don't have a photo handy, but Oakland's Hiller Drive between Hawks Hill Ct and Caldecott Ln offers a good view of the 13-24 interchange as well as Temescal Park and the power distribution plant.

Max Rockatansky

There is a pretty solid one for I-94 entering Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota:

IMG_6298 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.