News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Cool Gantries

Started by roadman65, April 17, 2018, 06:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.3742233,-75.9267308,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2ckPi-V0BKMtmaay6cgIZg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 I have always admired these types of gantries both in PA and La.  The outward part of the supporting truss always looked neat. 

Anyone, care to share their favorite types of gantries.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

That gantry reminds me of this style that was used in BC for a bit (long since superseded by monotubes, though):

I don't really have a favorite, but I do like WSDOT's approach of painting the gantries. WSDOT uses these box-welded monotube things. Most are painted grey, but some are dark brown, some are green. I think a few were even painted like a tan/salmon color.

roadman65

Ontario uses these too!  They are a modern version of the ones in Delaware in State Road where US 13 & 40 split (now replaced) and the one on US 9 at the Cape May Ferry Dock (also gone) and one that was on US 1 & 9 in Elizabeth, NJ that disappeared sometime in the mid 2000's.  The three mentioned were wrought iron as these in Canada are steel like regular gantries in truss form.

Sheryl Crowe

SSOWorld

Erector set gantries.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

formulanone

I like the old Louisiana gantries, they remind me of the yellow widget in the old arcade game Tempest.

OracleUsr

Yeah, now that you mention it, it kind of does, doesn't it?  And the cross girders at the top look like the flippers.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Rothman

Great.  Now I'm going to think Tempest whenever I see one of them. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Jet380

In a country where overhead signals of any sort aren't very common, the 'Meccano Set' in suburban Sydney stands out so much it has its own listing in Google Maps:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33.8896787,150.9729888,150m/data=!3m1!1e3

roadman65

Quote from: formulanone on April 17, 2018, 08:08:59 PM
I like the old Louisiana gantries, they remind me of the yellow widget in the old arcade game Tempest.

Funny thing is that is like many PennDOT gantries and even more odd is that both states think the same about assigning control cities on these signs.

Both PA and La both use local destinations over the big cities i.e Hazelton and Carlisle on I-81 over Wilkes-Barre or Harrisburg.  Bay St. Louis on I-10 east at I-59 over Mobile or even Biloxi.  Even Slidell leaving NOLA on I-10 over Mobile and for I-12 Hammond is more important over its state Capital. 

Same minds at work at two completely different states.

Sheryl Crowe

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: roadman65 on April 18, 2018, 09:51:33 AM

Funny thing is that is like many PennDOT gantries and even more odd is that both states think the same about assigning control cities on these signs.

Both PA and La both use local destinations over the big cities i.e Hazelton and Carlisle on I-81 over Wilkes-Barre or Harrisburg.  Bay St. Louis on I-10 east at I-59 over Mobile or even Biloxi.  Even Slidell leaving NOLA on I-10 over Mobile and for I-12 Hammond is more important over its state Capital. 

I am sure states look to other states to see what styles or overall specification they want to follow.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Mr_Northside

Funny thing is that is like many PennDOT gantries

I actually don't think there are very many of those in PA that have the protruding side supports (I can't think of a better term off the top of my head), and I've never seen them (in PA) over a span that narrow either....
The few places I've seen them (one on the Parkway West, that has since been replaced ~2 years ago), and a couple on US-220 near Lock Haven span both directions of the freeway... otherwise, gantries of that vintage are usually just a triangular horizontal structure on 4 veritclal supports:
https://goo.gl/maps/4Z4CaKfF5mE2  (if you also browse to I-376 just east of this interchange , and go back-in-time in Streetview, you'll see the wider, LA like gantry)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

jay8g

The Alaskan Way Viaduct has a pair of original, custom gantries, which I've always liked a lot. In fact, at least one of them is planned to be preserved as part of the waterfront program once the viaduct is removed.

Brandon

Slidell is used as that's where the interstate (10) turns at a major junction.  Bay St Louis is where the freeway ended at one point, and the control has never been updated.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

TEG24601

While not Gantries, the city of Everett Washington along Everett Mall Way and Evergreen Way have a series of Traffic Signal Mast's that are build like gantries and bisect the intersection, with all the signals.

They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

jbnv

Enjoy those trapezoidal gantries while you can in Louisiana. They just replaced all of them at the I-55/I-12 interchange with boring rectangular gantries.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

SectorZ

Those are awesome looking. For some reason they remind me of some styles of high-tension powerline towers.

US71

That sign is hideous!

I found a couple similar gantries in the Shreveport/Bossier City area during the roadmeet.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.