News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

King of Swaziland decrees change of nation’s name

Started by GenExpwy, April 19, 2018, 06:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GenExpwy

King Mswati III, absolute ruler of Swaziland, has decreed that the name of the nation will now be "Kingdom of eSwatini" , in part because of persistent confusion with Switzerland.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-43821512
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-swaziland-monarch-country/africas-last-absolute-monarch-renames-swaziland-as-eswatini-idUSKBN1HQ2NO

hotdogPi

Confusion with Switzerland? What about Austria and Australia, or Mauritius and Mauritania?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

vdeane

Sounds like the name of an internet store from the 90s.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

KeithE4Phx

"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

webny99

Quote from: 1 on April 19, 2018, 07:18:23 PM
Confusion with Switzerland? What about Austria and Australia, or Mauritius and Mauritania?

Not to mention the scads of countries ending in -istan (I still can keep any of them straight).

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on April 19, 2018, 09:59:11 PM

Not to mention the scads of countries ending in -istan (I still can keep any of them straight).

That's equivalent to there being Iceland, Poland, England, Greenland, Alanland, Ireland, Netherlands, New Zealand, etc. It would be easier to remember the -stans if you lived in Asia, closer to them.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Road Hog

If billionaires are looking for a bank account, I would think being confused with Switzerland would be a good thing.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on April 19, 2018, 10:05:39 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 19, 2018, 09:59:11 PM
That's equivalent to there being Iceland, Poland, England, Greenland, Alanland, Ireland, Netherlands, New Zealand, etc. It would be easier to remember the -stans if you lived in Asia, closer to them.

In that case, confusing Swaziland and Switzerland shouldn't be surprising. Unlike the other examples, they actually sound (somewhat) similar and have the same amount of syllables.
I, for one, don't usually mix up Austria with Australia (or Australasia  ;-)).

Road Hog

english si

Quote from: webny99 on April 19, 2018, 09:59:11 PMNot to mention the scads of countries ending in -istan (I still can keep any of them straight).
Really? Not even one or two?

I can very much understand Turkmeni- and Tajiki-, and perhaps Kazakh- and Kyrgyz- due to the similar rest of the names, and Uzbeki-/Tajiki-/Turkmeni-/Kyrgyz- due to all being a cluster of somewhat similar size and shape, but Pakistan is surely easy to keep straight with its non-similar name and obvious geographic location? And surely Afghanistan has been on the news enough this century for its shape to be recognisable?

In other similar names - Niger and Nigeria; Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana and Equatorial Guinea; Slovenia and Slovakia; DRC and ROC.

Even somewhat less similarly named countries in close geographical proximity don't help - Latvia and Lithuania, Montenegro and Macedonia, Iran and Iraq (though the news has mostly been a help there, though sometimes they've got it wrong).

CNGL-Leudimin

Don't forget Dominica and the Dominican republic.

Anyway, I decided to continue knowing the country as Swaziland, much like I do with Burma, Ivory Coast and (only in Spanish) Byelorussia (Interesting enough, I don't do the same for Cabo Verde since this is already its name in Spanish).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Henry

Sounds like an April Fool's joke, albeit several days late.

I know about all the countries, and it's not just limited to those. States and provinces have that problem too (IL and IN; MS and MO; MB and MN; NB and NL, among others).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

renegade

Quote from: 1 on April 19, 2018, 07:18:23 PMConfusion with Switzerland? What about Austria and Australia, or Mauritius and Mauritania?
I don't think King Mswati III would have any say over those. :awesomeface:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

english si

Quote from: cjk374 on April 21, 2018, 09:17:51 AMDilly dilly!!!
To the pit of misery with you!

As a torturer. Going 'dilly dilly' every time someone speaks and pouring kegs of Bud Light (sometimes Bud Light Lime for added horror) on the miscreants once a shift is all you need do - the misery is absolute.

formulanone

empirestate

Confusion with Switzerland? What about [...] Mauritius and Mauritania?

Well, most people have heard of neither; so, if there's any confusion, it stems from the fact that these countries even exist, rather than distinguishing between the two. :)

1995hoo

Quote from: GenExpwy on April 19, 2018, 06:51:21 PM
... "Kingdom of eSwatini"  ....

Too bad they're landlocked so they don't have a bay.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

triplemultiplex

"eSwatini" sounds like a drink you'd order at a bar.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

index

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 21, 2018, 09:46:53 PM
"eSwatini" sounds like a drink you'd order at a bar.

It sounds like a lot of things. When I first read "eSwatini", the first thing that came to my mind was a video I had seen ages ago. For some reason, "Swatini" refreshed my memory on this video, I had no idea I even remembered it until now. Funny the name change of a country reminded me of a tiny little ridiculous memory from a while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGGOn-H7s3Q
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

abefroman329

He also changed the official language of Swaziland to Swedish and declared that all children under 16 years of age are now 16 years of age.

kkt

Yes.  A friend of mine used to send letters and packages to her dad in Vienna, and finally starting addressing them with EUROPE written at the end of the address, because otherwise they all went the (very) long way.

Quote from: vdeane on April 19, 2018, 08:05:09 PM
Sounds like the name of an internet store from the 90s.

:-D

jwolfer

My friend I grew up with was born in Australia.. she had someone tell her you speak English so well for being from Australia

Z981

Chris

What to think of the Slovenia / Slovakia fiasco  :pan: And throw in the nearby Slavonia region too!

We have the problem of Dutch  > Holland > Netherlands. Three names for the same thing. In Dutch it's just "Nederland(s)".

"Holland" is a region, it makes up 2 of the 12 provinces. A Dutchman would not refer to the country as Holland in Dutch, though it's common in English for simplification issues. Holland is also a bit of an international brand name for the Netherlands.

Scott5114

I had a Internet friend from a Dutch town near the German border (can't remember the name of it at the moment), not in the Holland region, who was very particular about people referring to the country as Holland. He made the point that it was rather like referring to Houston as being in "California" because that is one of the United States's best known regions.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.