Which 2dis get roasted the most/least?

Started by hotdogPi, April 21, 2018, 10:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1 on April 21, 2018, 10:52:00 AM
Based on the "which states get roasted the most" thread here.

Roasted on this forum, not by the general public.

In numerical order, these are the complaints I have seen:

65: No criticism.

Plenty of criticism in Indiana for not having the entire length of 65 with 6+ lanes by now.  65 really needs to be 6+ lanes from its north end all the way to the south side of Nashville at least.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Beltway

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 24, 2018, 09:25:53 AM
Plenty of criticism in Indiana for not having the entire length of 65 with 6+ lanes by now.  65 really needs to be 6+ lanes from its north end all the way to the south side of Nashville at least.

260 miles.  At today's prices for 6-lane Interstate widening of $25 to $30 million per mile, that is $6.5 to $7.8 billion dollars.

Other corridors need widening also, such as I-70.  The money needs to be spread around.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

bing101

I-97 because its the shortest 2di in the interstate system.

I-7 or I-9 proposal this interstate was going to take the spot of CA-99 from the CA-51,US-50 and I-305 interchange in Sacramento to South end of San Joaquin Valley. It's been in talks for years. Plus the proposed plan to bridge multiple gaps of CA-65 came into play.

Well If I-7 or I-9 were to exist then it would make Fresno get its first interstate. Note Fresno is one of the largest cities in the country without an interstate along with Bakersfield.

bing101

I-70 gets roasted because of the east end in Baltimore is at a park and Ride and originally going to extend to Atlantic City to take US-40's spot.

PHLBOS

Quote from: bing101 on April 24, 2018, 10:36:50 AM
I-70 gets roasted because of the east end in Baltimore is at a park and Ride and originally going to extend to Atlantic City to take US-40's spot.
:confused:  I've never heard of any actual plan to extend I-70 east of Baltimore proper, let alone Atlantic City.  For the most part, US 40 already parallels with I-95 between Baltimore and Wilmington, DE.  To my knowledge, it was only planned to extend & end at I-95 in the city (Baltimore).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

swhuck

If it hasn't been roasted yet, then I'll start -- I41 for being entirely a concurrency south of the 94/694 interchange. Seriously, does it need to be concurrent all the way down to Illinois?
Clinched: I-2, 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, 25, 27, 29, 30, 35, 37, 39, 40, 43, 44, 45, 55, 59, 65, 66, 68, 70, 71, 72, 76 (both), 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 (W), 85, 86 (W), 88 (W), 93, 94, 96, 97
US50, 101, 175, 199, 290, 380, 491/666
Clinched for now: I-11, 14, 49, 57

CNGL-Leudimin

The same I say. But then I found some sense for I-41 to extend down to the IL border: I-94 "East" (South) of Milwaukee runs at an almost perfectly right angle from what is signed (i.e. North-South and signed East-West), so it may be necessary to throw another route to show what direction actually goes.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Flint1979

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 26, 2018, 06:04:23 PM
The same I say. But then I found some sense for I-41 to extend down to the IL border: I-94 "East" (South) of Milwaukee runs at an almost perfectly right angle from what is signed (i.e. North-South and signed East-West), so it may be necessary to throw another route to show what direction actually goes.
Most people traveling through that area are going to know it runs north and south for that segment. It runs like that due to Lake Michigan being in the way it also runs north and south on the Michigan side but only for about 30 miles.

SteveG1988

Interstate 22's only fault is that it ends before memphis, and thus ends before it runs out of mile markers from US78. It doesn't start or end at 0 at the western end over at i-269.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

SSR_317

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 21, 2018, 06:09:41 PM
I-69 probably gets roasted due to running east and west between Lansing and Port Huron and then it's out of the grid south of Indianapolis.
Yes, it really should've been I-98 between Lansing & Port Huron. But then you have another intrastate Interstate (damn those glaciers for forming the Great Lakes!  :biggrin:)  And from Indy south it should've been I-63, at least to Memphis.

Flint1979

Quote from: SSR_317 on April 28, 2018, 06:24:16 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on April 21, 2018, 06:09:41 PM
I-69 probably gets roasted due to running east and west between Lansing and Port Huron and then it's out of the grid south of Indianapolis.
Yes, it really should've been I-98 between Lansing & Port Huron. But then you have another intrastate Interstate (damn those glaciers for forming the Great Lakes!  :biggrin:)  And from Indy south it should've been I-63, at least to Memphis.
It's only 120 miles between Lansing and Port Huron so that would make for a pretty short Interstate (certainly not the shortest 2-di though).

TheHighwayMan3561

But if that was I-98, what would all the US 2 interstate fetishists put down for that corridor? Maybe just leave it alone? :bigass:
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SSR_317

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 28, 2018, 07:36:55 PM
But if that was I-98, what would all the US 2 interstate fetishists put down for that corridor? Maybe just leave it alone? :bigass:
Yes, should be left alone since most of the route of US 2 is VERY rural in nature and making it an Interstate could likely not be justified there. That is, of course, unless there is a MASSIVE population shift north due to the effects of climate change.

Flint1979

For US-2 in Michigan I would say that there isn't enough population in the U.P. to justify an east-west Interstate. Duluth is a bigger city but quite aways from the U.P. and there isn't much in between. The largest city in the U.P. is Marquette with about 21,000 people and only two other cities with a population of over 10,000 (Sault Ste. Marie and Escanaba). Sault Ste. Marie already has I-75 and Escanaba really has no need to be connected to the Interstate. For east-west travel US-2 and M-28 do fine for the U.P.

Super Mateo

Quote from: 1 on April 21, 2018, 10:52:00 AM
Roasted on this forum, not by the general public.

74 (west): No criticism, unless you're looking as all of I-74 as a single route with disconnected segments. The number duplication is the fault of the eastern I-74.
74 (east): Too many disconnected segments in North Carolina that will never connect to Ohio. Also, I-74/US 74 overlap.

Oh, I can roast Interstate 74:

-Starts in the Quad Cities, where signs guide through traffic to use other Interstates.
-Crosses a state line in the Quad Cities after 4 miles, causing exit numbers to repeat 4 miles away.  Could be very confusing.
-Forces drivers to take TWO cloverleaves within 10 miles to stay on it.  One will be a loop ramp regardless of which direction of travel.
-Has another short single lane segment in Bloomington, IL.
-Runs diagonally.
-Starts switching highways again in Indianapolis by hopping on and off the beltway.
-Lacks any interesting scenery in eastern Indiana.
-Takes another single lane westbound in the Cincinnati area.
-Disappears in Cincinnati after changing roads about 400 times between Cincinnati and Davenport.
-Mentioned on southbound US 52 near Huntington, WV as the future "I-73/74" corridor not long before US 52 drops to a two lane road that squiggles its way through the mountains.  And there was NO evidence that's going to change anytime soon.
-Magically reappears near Mt. Airy, but not far away, the signs for I-74 disappear again.
-Suddenly shows up again off I-40.
-Has a useless concurrency with I-73 for a while and both Interstate designations "end" long before the actual road does.  If it HAS to be an Interstate, I-73 is the better number.  That's because it...
-...Runs on a north/south segment through Asheboro and the area west of the Sandhills.
-Appears unnecessarily in a segment near Laurinberg where it's entirely overlapped with the US Route of the same number.

I-74 has now been fully roasted.

vdeane

Except it was to end at I-95 in Baltimore, not go to Atlantic City.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dvferyance

I don't have a problem with the I-41/US-41 overlap however I do think it's bit unnecessary to sign them both together. There are already signs that say for US-41 follow I-41 that already does the job quite well.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: bing101 on April 30, 2018, 12:45:30 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on April 25, 2018, 10:01:48 AM
:confused:  I've never heard of any actual plan to extend I-70 east of Baltimore proper, let alone Atlantic City.  For the most part, US 40 already parallels with I-95 between Baltimore and Wilmington, DE.  To my knowledge, it was only planned to extend & end at I-95 in the city (Baltimore).

I swore I saw a video where one of the roadgeeks talked about extending I-70 beyond park and ride though.

As you may have surmised from this forum, lots of roadgeeks believe absolutely insane things.

theroadwayone

Quote from: bing101 on April 30, 2018, 12:45:30 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on April 25, 2018, 10:01:48 AM

I swore I saw a video where one of the roadgeeks talked about extending I-70 beyond park and ride though.
Link to the video, please.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: DandyDan on April 22, 2018, 03:58:06 AM
I would love to know how no one ever complains about the fact that the segment of I-43 between Beloit and Milwaukee  gets an odd number even though it is an east-west route. Granted it's more NE-SW, but it bears no real relationship to the N-S segment. I highly doubt that someone from Beloit takes I-43 the whole way to Green Bay, largely because the stadium is off of 41. I would call the Beloit-Milwaukee section of I-43 I-92.

That's the one thing I don't like about I-43. I honestly wish the designation got changed, too.

There were actually two proposed routes that could've been called I-92 as well:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East%E2%80%93West_Highway_(New_England)

Anyway, is that segment too short to be considered a 2di? It seems unusual to make it a 3di, as the only 3dis in Wisconsin are short routes that go through Milwaukee.
Forget the I-41 haters

Flint1979

Quote from: MantyMadTown on May 03, 2018, 01:44:10 AM
Quote from: DandyDan on April 22, 2018, 03:58:06 AM
I would love to know how no one ever complains about the fact that the segment of I-43 between Beloit and Milwaukee  gets an odd number even though it is an east-west route. Granted it's more NE-SW, but it bears no real relationship to the N-S segment. I highly doubt that someone from Beloit takes I-43 the whole way to Green Bay, largely because the stadium is off of 41. I would call the Beloit-Milwaukee section of I-43 I-92.

That's the one thing I don't like about I-43. I honestly wish the designation got changed, too.

There were actually two proposed routes that could've been called I-92 as well:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East%E2%80%93West_Highway_(New_England)

Anyway, is that segment too short to be considered a 2di? It seems unusual to make it a 3di, as the only 3dis in Wisconsin are short routes that go through Milwaukee.
It's 61 miles and right now there are five 2-di's shorter, it's roughly the same length as the western I-86 and I-19. Out of the five 2-di's that are shorter than that segment of I-43 four of them have come into existence since 2013. I-97 is only 17.5 miles long. As a 3-di it'd be about the same length as I-285 around Atlanta and I-275 in the Tampa Bay area. It kind of makes sense to be I-43 though since it goes in a somewhat north-south routing and I-43 only exists in Wisconsin.

pulpfiction

How is I-95 in CT between NY and Bridgeport not on the 'most roasted' list?

25 mile delays EVERY single day on an interstate that is so hysterically outdated makes for quite possibly the worst place to drive in the entire country.  Backups on weekends are becoming a regular occurance, as well.

Come to think of it, virtually other road in the state belongs on the Most Roasted list (especially CT15 and the bulk of I84).

freebrickproductions

I-65 has a particularly dangerous stretch just south of Cullman, AL, especially around MP 293/MP 294. Seems like a major accident that causes huge delays is a fairly regular occurrence around there for some reason...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

thspfc

Sorry for the bump, had to give my take.
People hate 39 moreso because of its overlap with US-51 than its overlap with 90. This to me is stupid. As was said in the OP's post, I-25 is overlapped with US routes its entire length, and no one cares. Why is 39 a problem then? It's a 300+ mile corridor that runs straight north-south and is freeway. There is not one thing about I-39 that makes it not worthy of being an Interstate.
As for I-41, I like to call myself the world's most passionate I-41 defender.
For I-90, I have no issue with the long 80 overlap.
I-94 is the only one in WI where I can understand the criticism. I would have it end in Milwaukee, with I-41 continuing into Illinois. The portions of 94 in Indiana and Michigan then become I-92.

Flint1979

Quote from: thspfc on August 01, 2020, 10:14:36 AM
Sorry for the bump, had to give my take.
People hate 39 moreso because of its overlap with US-51 than its overlap with 90. This to me is stupid. As was said in the OP's post, I-25 is overlapped with US routes its entire length, and no one cares. Why is 39 a problem then? It's a 300+ mile corridor that runs straight north-south and is freeway. There is not one thing about I-39 that makes it not worthy of being an Interstate.
As for I-41, I like to call myself the world's most passionate I-41 defender.
For I-90, I have no issue with the long 80 overlap.
I-94 is the only one in WI where I can understand the criticism. I would have it end in Milwaukee, with I-41 continuing into Illinois. The portions of 94 in Indiana and Michigan then become I-92.
Well the only issue I could see with that is that I-41 has only existed for a short time and wasn't there when I-94 was routed south of Milwaukee. Lake Michigan being in the way caused it to have to shift around the lake the way it does so I can see why the number is carried over to the other side of the lake. In all honesty though it picks up about 100 miles south of where it left off on the other side of the lake entering Milwaukee. It would have been pointless to go that much further north with it. The Great Lakes has indeed effected the way roads are routed though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.