News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Suggestion for a recent Civ Eng grad to get a job with a DOT?

Started by i-215, May 14, 2018, 11:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

i-215

Hey guys --

I'm in my early 30s.  I recently finished my master's in traffic engineering (YAY)

So, I could use some advice... I've been applying to entry-level-sounding jobs at Caltrans regions 7 and 8 and cities around Los Angeles, Orange, and San Bernardino counties with no luck (no interviews). 

I feel a of an uphill battle because (1) I never had the luxury to complete an internship since I'm transitioning from an unrelated field that paid better than internships (2) I went to school out of state, so nobody here can help me network with professionals back in SoCal.

Any advice?  Thank you

DaBigE

Congrats on finishing your grad work. Unfortunately, in the civil engineering field, you may be overqualified. From my experience, this field tends to be more about who you know and your years of practical experience and not necessarily your formal education. Positions that require (and I use that somewhat loosely) that level of education are typically small in number and usually aren't entry-level. You will likely have better luck looking in the private sector. The pay will likely be better, but don't necessarily expect to make more than your coworker who only has a BS degree. I would highly recommend getting licensed. Employers tend to look more for that than what your degree level is.

Don't get too discouraged. It will take some work. It was a bit of an uphill battle for me at first as well. When I was hunting during my final semester, there were quite a few dead ends. Everyone wanted you to have some kind of experience already. Unfortunately, when I was in school, the economy wasn't stellar and most places weren't hiring. The DOT was even on a hiring freeze - internships included. How open you are to location tends to be the biggest hurdle. Even now, if I was willing/able to move, I could have a new job fairly easily.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

02 Park Ave

I can second daBigE, start the process towards getting your P.E. as soon as possible.  It will reap benefits throughout your career.

Good luck in this endeavour.
C-o-H

Rothman

I triple what had been said.  Enjoy making bank in the private sector and good luck on the PE!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Revive 755

My advice?

1) Get experience.  Try for an entry level position with another agency, one of the neighboring states, or a consulting firm.  Maybe even try for a non-engineering tech position - after you pass the probationary period in such a position you may be able to transfer into an entry level engineering position, including some not available to non-employees.

2) When you do go for the PE, make sure you do not rush things.  I do not know how California does it, but some states will allow one to take the PE exam prior to having four years of experience.  Trouble is some states require the four years experience prior to taking the test, which can make licensure through comity problematic.  Make sure you are getting the necessary references while earning the necessary experience for licensure and hope things don't sour with one or more of them.

Rothman

In NY, there have been aspiring engineers that ended up in NYSDOT's Policy and Planning Division and were shocked to discover their experience did not count.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Quote1) Get experience.  Try for an entry level position with another agency, one of the neighboring states, or a consulting firm.

This.  I know VTrans (Vermont) typically has several civil engineering positions open at any given time.  Currently, they have an entry-level position open for their Traffic Design office in Montpelier.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on May 18, 2018, 02:59:34 PM
Quote1) Get experience.  Try for an entry level position with another agency, one of the neighboring states, or a consulting firm.

This.  I know VTrans (Vermont) typically has several civil engineering positions open at any given time.  Currently, they have an entry-level position open for their Traffic Design office in Montpelier.

Do some research and get on the mailing lists for the engineering societies in states for which you're interested. They frequently send out job opening notices.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

DaBigE

If you haven't already, get a profile page going for yourself on LinkedIn and put yourself open to receiving contact from recruiters. A fair number of DOTs advertise positions there as well.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.