News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Poll: Highway Cruising Speed?

Started by adwerkema, May 15, 2018, 10:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your cruising speed on highways? (Assume free-flowing traffic)

More than 10 mph below
6-10 mph below
1-5 mph below
Exactly the speed limit
1-5 mph above
6-10 mph above
More than 10 mph above

webny99

Quote from: jemacedo9 on May 16, 2018, 08:49:24 AM
In the Rochester area, the SLs are 55 and I tend to do 70.

Yep - you'd definitely have some company at 70 in a 55.

QuoteMost of my travels in rural W NY lately are on I-390 and I-86, and in those 65 areas, if I go 75, I am passing most traffic without cops pulling out.  Though I will say that in the past year, I've noticed traffic speeds picking up a little over what I'm used to.

When with my family, 75 is my preferred traveling speed, too, so I'd have to agree; you're probably doing more passing than being passed on I-390 and I-86. This is in sharp contrast to the thruway, where you're getting passed and passing with equal frequency (if not getting passed more frequently) when cruising at 75.

The stretch of I-390 between Avon and Henrietta has meaty traffic flow. On that stretch, 80 is closer to the average speed, due at least in part to commuters.

Roadsguy

10 over the limit, or whatever the flow of traffic is. The PA Turnpike is 70 mph, but I've driven it when traffic flow is up to 90 mph on the I-276 portion. Traffic also seems to frequently flow faster than 65 on the 55 mph urban expressways in PA, even pretty substandard ones like the US 422 West Shore Bypass in Reading.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

doorknob60

It's not always a matter of how much over the speed limit for me. Depends on how reasonable the speed limit is. In Idaho's (and Utah, Montana, etc.) 80 zones, I cruise between 80 and 85. But if I go to Oregon where it's 70 on I-84 (or Washington, California, etc), it's generally ~78. Back when I-84 in OR was 65, I was going 75-78. And when Central/Eastern Oregon's US highways were all 55, I was going 65-70 (sometimes pushing it to 72-75). Now that they're mostly 65, I stick with ~73-75.

For urban highways, like I-84 in Idaho, I struggle to keep it below 75 in light traffic (65 zone) because of how well designed and wide it is it is. Though I try to keep it below 75 because I see a lot of enforcement. In Oregon in 55 zones like I-205 in Portland or US-26, I struggle to keep it below 70 (but that's my goal). In Utah's 70 urban zones I was often pushing 80 (with the flow of traffic).

vdeane

My general formula is 5 over on surface streets, 7 over on freeways/divided highways, with the following special cases:
-70: 75
-75: 77 or 78 (haven't actually encountered a 75 mph speed limit yet, so not 100% decided; 78 would seem to be a more logical progression, though)
-80 or above: 80 (my car only has five gears, so I don't want to push the engine faster)

I've been known to go 80 on the New Jersey Turnpike, since the design standards are so high and there's essentially no speed enforcement.  On the other hand, on my upcoming trip to Florida, I plan to be exactly the limit through DC because of speed cameras as well as Hopewell, VA and Emporia, VA because they're well-known speed traps.  I've also read cases about North Carolina pulling people for only a couple MPH over, especially on I-95 (plus there was that image posted in the memes thread), as well as with Florida (including cases of out of state drivers being pulled over for speeding even when doing the speed limit), so I'm wondering if I should be worried about those states as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadsguy

Come to think of it, how do states with 80 and 85 (i.e. TX Route 130) mph speed limits, how does traffic treat them? Does traffic flow at and/or do cops enforce the exact speed limit, or 5-10 over even then? Going 95 mph on that one road in Texas sounds awesome.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

kphoger

Well, my vote is in the majority:  6-10 mph over.

But my preferred highway cruising speed doesn't really depend on the speed limit.  The speed limit is what limits my preferred highway cruising speed.

Absent speed limits, I would prefer to drive about 85 to 90 mph on the open Interstate.  For two-lane highways with wide shoulders and good sight distance, I would prefer about 75 mph–less than that absent the shoulders and good sight distance.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

PHLBOS

I voted 6-10 mph over as well with the actual differential being based on the following conditions:

For highways posted at 55 that either were (prior to October 1973) or should be higher; I set the cruise at 67 (such is the exception to the 6-10 mph differential range)

For highways posted at 65; I set the cruise at 73.

For highways posted at 70; I set the cruise at 77-78.

Although I haven't encountered that many of them, for highways posted at 60; I set the cruise at 67.

For lower posted speeds, mainly through urban areas; I'll set the cruise to about 10 over (5-6 over if the highway is curvy).

One reason for my ranges is due to both of my vehicles' sweet spot in terms of optimum fuel economy is typically when the average speed falls between the 68-72 mph range; courtesy of the overdrive transmissions.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on May 16, 2018, 01:06:34 PM
I've been known to go 80 on the New Jersey Turnpike, since the design standards are so high and there's essentially no speed enforcement.  On the other hand, on my upcoming trip to Florida, I plan to be exactly the limit through DC because of speed cameras as well as Hopewell, VA and Emporia, VA because they're well-known speed traps.  I've also read cases about North Carolina pulling people for only a couple MPH over, especially on I-95 (plus there was that image posted in the memes thread), as well as with Florida (including cases of out of state drivers being pulled over for speeding even when doing the speed limit), so I'm wondering if I should be worried about those states as well.

In my general opinion...People worry too much.  And/or some of the stories are exaggerated, or there's other reasons why someone got stopped.  No doubt some stories are true, but I'm sure people aren't going to tell everyone that they passed a cop and didn't get pulled over.  They're more likely to tell the stories of when they got stopped.

I took another road trip last week to Florida.  In 65 and 70 mph zones, between NJ and FL, I generally feel fine travelling at speeds up to 79 mph in:  NJ, DE, MD, VA, NC, SC, GA and FL.

Yes, that's all of them. (I take the beltway around DC; I don't go thru DC)

At night, I may slow it down to 74 mph simply because there's less traffic out there.  In construction zones I'll slow down close to the speed limit, but my experiences tell me that the cops in construction zones with lights flashing are there for visibility and if any incidents arise.  In Maryland, watch for the speed cameras, but they still allow 10 over.

On my way down, my trip was at night between NJ and SC.  I passed the occasional cop in the median at around 74 mph or so; the occasional faster vehicle nearby went by without any action either.  There was one person that pulled in front of me and I was still fairly close to him when we passed a cop - certainly within tailgating range - and the cop didn't bother either of us.  After a short snooze in a rest area, we travelled during the day from SC to FL.  In either SC or GA we did see two cops with cars pulled over, but otherwise at my faster pace no issues from anyone. 

I always say NC is the worst for long distances of seemingly rural 65 mph zones.  But there's seemingly no uptick in police either.

At one point in Florida I was doing about 82 mph and saw a cop in the median before slowing down.  I think luckily his radar gun wasn't pointing down the road, because he didn't go after me. Or maybe 82 was within his allowance.  I can't say for sure, because he didn't stop me...or even look at me from what I could tell.

On my return trip, I was going about 78 mph in Virginia, and noted that traffic in the left lane appeared to be passing me a few mph faster.  In fact, there was a few times I passed a cop in the median with this faster traffic.  At one point, I decided to get in their line just to see how fast they were going, and it was about 81, 82 mph.  That tells me that, unless they all managed to slow down when passing a cop every time (about 4 times or so within the first 30 miles), that the cops weren't interested in speeds in the low 80's, even with the well-known and somewhat signed 'reckless driving' penaltiies.  I did see one person pulled over; obviously I have no idea why and/or how fast that vehicle may have been going.

I've now taken 295 around Richmond a few times, which includes what is believed to be strict enforcement of the speed limit in Hopewell.  Can't say for sure, because at 74 mph, I've never been stopped.  Maybe there were no cops out there.  But again, I haven't been able to duplicate anyone's worries around here in regards to supposedly strict enforcement.

I've done this same, boring road trip for about 6 years now, and my experiences have all been the same.  Keeping it under 80 keeps you out of trouble.

hbelkins

On Virginia freeways, speed limit to 5 above.

On Virginia surface routes, the speed limit.

In other states where I'm able to determine if the police are warrantlessly "wiretapping" my speed, anywhere from 7-15 mph above the limit, depending on terrain, weather and traffic.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 16, 2018, 09:35:54 AM
On highways I've driven many times, I tend to do 6-10 mph more than the speed limit. Sometimes, it's even more than that if I just really want to get to my destination. I-35 in Iowa and Minnesota is a common cause of this, for me.

On highways I've never driven or only driven a few times, it's no more than 5 mph above the speed limit. I like to see the scenery and be on the lookout for interesting, roadgeek-y things.

The only time these rules change is in construction zones, in which case I will do at most the speed limit, out of principle.
Another thing people in my neck of the woods are TERRIBLE at - on US (I) 41, the speed limit is nominally 70 mph, and traffic moves anywhere from 65-82 at free flow depending on who's on the road at any given time, average probably around 72.  When there's a work zone, the limit drops to 55, and people are still probably averaging around 65-68 if they even slow down at all, completely ignoring the fact that A) it's 55, and B) fines double in work zones.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

CtrlAltDel

On rural freeways, I tend to go pretty much exactly 4 or 9 miles miles an hour over the limit. Whether this is actually enough to keep the police from pulling me over or it's all in my head, that's pretty much always been what I do. On two lane rural highways in the middle of nowhere, I tend to go about 75. On urban roads, I just try to keep with traffic, whatever that speed ends up being.

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on May 15, 2018, 11:10:33 PM
I'm in the speed limit camp—set cruise, stay in the right lane. [...] It's the least taxing way to drive on the highway and also gives you the best fuel efficiency.
I've read though that the most fuel-efficient way to drive is to continually build up a bit of speed and then coast (pulse and glide).
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Super Mateo

Urban freeways:  I will cruise at 70 during the day, 65 at night.  The speed limit is irrelevant.

Rural freeways:  70, unless the speed limit is higher.  However, I've never been in a higher zone.  When speed limits are fair, I have no issue obeying them.

Construction zones:  The speed limit, even if it's only 45.  The potential for debris is quite high, plus there is always the chance a human could be very close to the road.

Any "Speed Limit 55 (or less)" signs on freeways are just begging to be ignored.  In the rare case someone does pay attention to them, they just laugh at them and continue at 70 mph.  Lake Shore Drive's freeway section is painfully underposted, to the point where I won't use the road anymore.  The options are a) go with the flow at about 30 over and risk getting a ticket, or b) go the speed limit and risk getting killed.

ET21

Quote from: Super Mateo on May 16, 2018, 08:07:17 PM
Urban freeways:  I will cruise at 70 during the day, 65 at night.  The speed limit is irrelevant.

Rural freeways:  70, unless the speed limit is higher.  However, I've never been in a higher zone.  When speed limits are fair, I have no issue obeying them.

Construction zones:  The speed limit, even if it's only 45.  The potential for debris is quite high, plus there is always the chance a human could be very close to the road.

Any "Speed Limit 55 (or less)" signs on freeways are just begging to be ignored.  In the rare case someone does pay attention to them, they just laugh at them and continue at 70 mph.  Lake Shore Drive's freeway section is painfully underposted, to the point where I won't use the road anymore.  The options are a) go with the flow at about 30 over and risk getting a ticket, or b) go the speed limit and risk getting killed.

I take the mid-range for LSD. Posted I think is 45?? so I do about 55-60 and stick to the middle lanes
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kphoger

Quote from: Super Mateo on May 16, 2018, 08:07:17 PM

Any "Speed Limit 55 (or less)" signs on freeways are just begging to be ignored.  In the rare case someone does pay attention to them, they just laugh at them and continue at 70 mph.

I must be one of the only ones on here who goes over the speed limit in construction zones–at least some zones.

When people are actually working in a construction zone, I slow down to the speed limit or even slower.  But the more common occurrence for me is that I'm cruising along on a 70-mph or 75-mph Interstate in the middle of nowhere, then there's a five-mile section of head-to-head traffic because one of the roadways is being redone.  The speed limit drops to 55 mph for those five miles, but nobody is working on that side of the highway, and usually not even on the other side.  Most traffic wants to go 60 to 65 mph (or faster) despite the 55 limit, and I agree with them.  There's nothing to actually watch out for, and your only worry is a highway patrol using radar.  (On my last long-distance trip, there was an Iowa trooper at the very beginning of the zone doing just that, too; a few of us had to step on our brakes.....briefly.)
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on May 17, 2018, 12:48:11 PM
I must be one of the only ones on here who goes over the speed limit in construction zones–at least some zones.

Nah.  You're just one of the few that admit to it. 

In my observances, nearly 100% of the motorists are going over the speed limit in construction zones.  Sure, there's a few that are doing the limit or under, which is true of any speed zone.  Maybe this is a regional thing, and maybe in other areas people truly are going at or under the limit.  But the overwhelming vast majority are going over the limit.

This also matches up with surveys vs. reality.  In surveys, a lot of people will say they go the speed limit, with many saying they go 1 - 5 over the limit, with most of the remainder saying they go 6 - 10 over the limit.  However, automated equipment along the highways tell a different story.  On most highways, fewer than 5% are going at or under the limit, and nearly 50% of motorists are going at least 10 mph over the limit. 

Maybe they feel the survey is a setup and they'll get a ticket or their insurance rates will go up.  But chances are, they're going faster than they are willing to admit.

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 17, 2018, 01:09:11 PM
In my observances, nearly 100% of the motorists are going over the speed limit in construction zones.  Sure, there's a few that are doing the limit or under, which is true of any speed zone.  Maybe this is a regional thing, and maybe in other areas people truly are going at or under the limit.  But the overwhelming vast majority are going over the limit.

This is my observation over here as well. WSDOT rarely posts construction zone limits. As a driver, your only indication of a work zone are the "work zone ahead" signs, orange barrels, and equipment/workers doing their thing. Because most drivers are focused on what is going on dead ahead of them, most take no notice, and continue at whatever speed they were doing before the work zone. I usually continue at whatever speed I was doing, to avoid doing anything unusual that might cause drivers behind me to brake, change lanes, etc.

I have personally never seen Washington State Patrol doing any speed enforcement near work zones, and I've never heard of a sting either. Speed cameras aren't used.

jemacedo9

I must be one of the only ones on here who goes over the speed limit in construction zones—at least some zones.

This also matches up with surveys vs. reality.  In surveys, a lot of people will say they go the speed limit, with many saying they go 1 - 5 over the limit, with most of the remainder saying they go 6 - 10 over the limit.  However, automated equipment along the highways tell a different story.  On most highways, fewer than 5% are going at or under the limit, and nearly 50% of motorists are going at least 10 mph over the limit. 

Maybe they feel the survey is a setup and they'll get a ticket or their insurance rates will go up.  But chances are, they're going faster than they are willing to admit.

I try to go only 5 over in a work zone...but there are many times where if I do, I am well below the flow of traffic and even holding it up, in the right lane...so I will speed up in those cases to not be a hold up.

The only exception to that is...on work zones not separated by concrete barrier where workers are close to the road...then I will slow down to the SL regardless of who is behind me.

adwerkema

On most highways, fewer than 5% are going at or under the limit, and nearly 50% of motorists are going at least 10 mph over the limit. Maybe they feel the survey is a setup and they'll get a ticket or their insurance rates will go up.  But chances are, they're going faster than they are willing to admit.
I agree, some people are probably going faster than they are willing to admit. However, I doubt nearly 50% are going at least 10 mph over (unless you are just referring to a regional thing).

ilpt4u

I referenced a Regional thing in the Chicago area, where the Chicago Tribune studied Average Speeds on the ISTHA Tollways a few years back. Most Miles were, at the time, signed 55 (many still are), and its very clear the average speed is in the low 70s. That is Averaging 15+ over, so that would certainly be most

*EDIT* Sorry, I misrepresented. Average speed is in the high 60s, but still over the 10 MPH number. 70s is the 85th Percentile, which is referenced in the piece as well

http://www.chicagotribune.com/chi-drivers-speeding-on-the-illinois-tollway-map-20140827-htmlstory.html From 2013 ISTHA data, story from 2014 in the Chicago Tribune

kphoger

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 17, 2018, 04:05:45 PM
I referenced a Regional thing in the Chicago area, where the Chicago Tribune studied Average Speeds on the ISTHA Tollways a few years back. Most Miles were, at the time, signed 55 (many still are), and its very clear the average speed is in the low 70s. That is Averaging 15+ over, so that would certainly be most

*EDIT* Sorry, I misrepresented. Average speed is in the high 60s, but still over the 10 MPH number. 70s is the 85th Percentile, which is referenced in the piece as well

http://www.chicagotribune.com/chi-drivers-speeding-on-the-illinois-tollway-map-20140827-htmlstory.html From 2013 ISTHA data, story from 2014 in the Chicago Tribune

Anecdotal evidence from my own memory matches that chart.  I routinely drove 75 mph on the 55-mph highways in Chicagoland, and that was just slightly faster than the average flow of traffic.  I don't think I ever saw a trooper clocking people a single time on the E-W Tollway, which is the one I most commonly drove.
Male pronouns, please.

Hurricane Rex

Lets see, I do what I feel like is right. 6-10 above on average.
Sorry to be detailed:
Oregon:
Undivided mountainous 2 lane highways: 50-60 mph
Other 2 lane highways: 60-65 mph
Super 2: 65-70 mph (55 is ridiculous on OR 18, a 2 lane expressway in certain areas)
Urban freeway: 65-70 mph, 60 downtown Portland
Rural freeway: 75 mph on I-5/I-84 in locations not specified in this section. I-84 between mp 130-218, Baker Valley, mp 364-376 (approximate) 80 mph. Rye Canyon, Siskoyu Pass (never been to Cali but I've been up the pass on a school field trip), and the mountains between Grants Pass and Green: 65-70 mph. Cabbage Hill: 60 mph.
Divided 4 lane: 70 mph non-expressway/freeway, 75 mph freeway/expressway.
Urban non-expressway/freeway: Speed Limit. Exception: Sherwood 99W: 52 mph

Washington:
Undivided mountanious: 50-60 mph
Other 2 lane highways: Speed Limit
Super 2: Speed Limit if it is 65 mph, or 65 otherwise. Sometimes push to 70.
Urban Freeway: 70 mph, downtown Seattle/Tacoma/Spokane 60 mph. I-182 70-75 mph
Rural Freeway: 75 mph on I-5/I-82 north of Yakima/I-90 west of I-90. 80 mph on other portions of I-90/1-82.
Divided 4 lane: 70 mph on WA 8, US 395, all freeways. Seattle expressways 10 over. Other divided: 65 mph.
Urban non-expressway/freeway: Speed Limit. Exception: Wenatchee US 2: 60 mph.

Idaho/Montana:
2 lane highway: Speed Limit
Urban Freeway: 75 mph
Rural Freeway: 82 mph (80 mph on I-90)
Divided 4 lane: 75 mph
Urban non-expressway/freeway: Speed Limit.

Illinois:
2 lane highway: 65 mph
Urban Freeway: 70 mph, 55 mph in downtown Chicago.
Rural Freeway: 82 mph
Divided 4 lane: N/A never been on one in Illinois
Urban non-expressway/freeway: Speed Limit.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

doorknob60

I must be one of the only ones on here who goes over the speed limit in construction zones—at least some zones.

It's crazy how much construction zones vary. I'll look at the rural interstate example where they close half the freeway and shift one side of the road to the other side.

In Idaho, they usually drop the speed limit from 80 to 70 when they do this. More than reasonable. In reality, it's hard to speed here since you usually get stuck behind a truck going ~60.

Oregon, it varies. I've never seen above 55, but 45 and 50 I have seen (normal speed limit 70, on I-84 at least). This is on the slow side, and often ignored. I try to stay within 10 on these, but one time I said fuck it and hit 80 in a 45 during a rare passing opportunity.

In Montana, they often lowered it to 35! From 80...wtf? I thought Montana was supposed to be one of the most lenient states for speed limits. Yeah I sort of played along this time (especially since I had to get off and get gas in the middle), but yeah if that lasted long at all (in Oregon and Idaho it wasn't uncommon to have these last ~10 miles; the ones I saw in MT recently were only a couple miles long) I'd probably be going 60 through it unless I saw workers or cops. Especially since the signs seemed to indicate that fines only doubled when workers were present (as opposed to a lot of other states where they double in any work zone, regardless of present workers). I don't even know what most people drive in these, since the highway was basically empty (I-15 between Canada and Great Falls).

TheHighwayMan3561

To me slowing down for a work zone is more than just workers. Lanes narrow, shoulders disappear, obstacles such as barriers and cones are often placed extremely close to the driving lanes, etc.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hbelkins

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 17, 2018, 08:07:40 PM
To me slowing down for a work zone is more than just workers. Lanes narrow, shoulders disappear, obstacles such as barriers and cones are often placed extremely close to the driving lanes, etc.

Can't remember the statistics, but the vast majority of fatalities in work zones are motorists, not construction workers.

I don't really understand the logic behind work zone speed limits. In some places, the lower limits are only when workers are present. In some places, it's 24/7 in the work zone. Same with double fines. In some cases, it's just when the workers are there and in other cases, it's all the time.

And also, if the speed limit on a 70 mph highway is lowered to 55 in a work zone, why is it necessary to lower the speed limit from 55 to 45 in a work zone?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins
And also, if the speed limit on a 70 mph highway is lowered to 55 in a work zone, why is it necessary to lower the speed limit from 55 to 45 in a work zone?

Probably because the two roads have different design speeds and characteristics, which is why they had different speed limits in the first place. It's not a matter of just "going slow" in general; the principle is you should go slower than you would in normal conditions.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.