News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Poll: Highway Cruising Speed?

Started by adwerkema, May 15, 2018, 10:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your cruising speed on highways? (Assume free-flowing traffic)

More than 10 mph below
6-10 mph below
1-5 mph below
Exactly the speed limit
1-5 mph above
6-10 mph above
More than 10 mph above

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on May 21, 2018, 02:07:02 PM
Common courtesy on Mexican two-lane highways.  After driving in Mexico awhile, where slower traffic does indeed move over onto the shoulder, you'll really wish people in the US did it as well.

In some countries, such as South Africa, it's common for both directions to move onto the shoulder to allow faster traffic to pass on the center line (assuming the shoulder isn't wide enough for a whole vehicle). Seems smart, but South Africa also has a lot more road deaths per capita than the US, so maybe it's not as great as I think.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on May 21, 2018, 03:08:01 PM
Common courtesy on Mexican two-lane highways.  After driving in Mexico awhile, where slower traffic does indeed move over onto the shoulder, you'll really wish people in the US did it as well.

In some countries, such as South Africa, it's common for both directions to move onto the shoulder to allow faster traffic to pass on the center line (assuming the shoulder isn't wide enough for a whole vehicle). Seems smart, but South Africa also has a lot more road deaths per capita than the US, so maybe it's not as great as I think.

That's what they do in Mexico too.

And Texas, actually.  Although they're less likely in Texas to pass down the center line compared to Mexico, it certainly happens quite a lot, and I've personally done it a few times.  I think the main difference is that oncoming traffic is a LOT more likely to ride the shoulder too in Mexico than in Texas.  The last time I drove through Texas (this past March), I witnessed slower traffic riding the shoulder–or had faster traffic willing to pass me while I rode the shoulder–probably a dozen times just between Sonora and Abilene.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kalvado

In point of fact, it is specifically legal to do this in Texas, per statute.

In NYS we're specifically told that passing vehicle stopped in driving lane for left turn by moving over to shoulder is explicitly illegal. Best case scenario is two cars trying to make a turn a block apart in opposite directions... You shall not pass!

riiga

Quote from: jakeroot on May 21, 2018, 03:08:01 PM

We used to have lots of two lane roads with wide shoulders which encouraged such passing behavior, but due to the accident rate most have been converted to 2+1 roads (alternating passing lanes) and fatalities have dropped accordingly.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.