News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

FYA Not In SHS

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, June 21, 2018, 09:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

I am doing making some signs for the Sign Shop and personal use and I use PDF illustrations to help out. But, looking over some standard drawings for Public Works in Fort Smith, I notice they list the Yield to FYA sign (R10-12M). Now, R10-12M is nowhere to be found in SHS '04 and I need some help (sorry for the ridiculous backstory).

Anyone know where I can get a layout PDF? Not even Manual of Traffic Signs has it!
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Scott5114

The relevant section of the MUTCD is 2B.53 and it doesn't mention anything at all about signage for flashing yellow arrows. R10-12 is the standard "Left Turn Yield On Green [Ball]" sign. The only other thing that's halfway relevant is an all-text R10-27, which is "Left Turn Yield On Flashing Red Arrow After Stop" (all text). The description of FYAs in Chapter 4D doesn't mention anything about signage for them (though the diagrams for doghouse signals do include an R10-12), so I believe NCUTCD is of the opinion that FYAs are self-explanatory and don't need a sign.

What that tells me is that your "R10-12M" is probably an Arkansas state standard or even a Fort Smith-specific design.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on June 21, 2018, 09:21:41 PM
I am doing making some signs for the Sign Shop and personal use and I use PDF illustrations to help out. But, looking over some standard drawings for Public Works in Fort Smith, I notice they list the Yield to FYA sign (R10-12M). Now, R10-12M is nowhere to be found in SHS '04 and I need some help (sorry for the ridiculous backstory).

Anyone know where I can get a layout PDF? Not even Manual of Traffic Signs has it!

Layout for the MassDOT standard FYA sign can be found at 

https://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/8/docs/traffic/Signs/MA-R10-12a.pdf

Hope this helps you.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

DaBigE

WisDOT's all-text version: R10-50
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

roadfro

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 22, 2018, 04:27:59 AM
The relevant section of the MUTCD is 2B.53 and it doesn't mention anything at all about signage for flashing yellow arrows. R10-12 is the standard "Left Turn Yield On Green [Ball]" sign. The only other thing that's halfway relevant is an all-text R10-27, which is "Left Turn Yield On Flashing Red Arrow After Stop" (all text). The description of FYAs in Chapter 4D doesn't mention anything about signage for them (though the diagrams for doghouse signals do include an R10-12), so I believe NCUTCD is of the opinion that FYAs are self-explanatory and don't need a sign.

What that tells me is that your "R10-12M" is probably an Arkansas state standard or even a Fort Smith-specific design.

Scott is correct in that there was not a standard sign developed for the national MUTCD when the FYA was deployed. I recall reading something stating that the FYAs were intuitive enough to not warrant an explanatory sign.

However, it seems like there are very few agencies across the country that will install a left-turn FYA without an explanatory sign, and the designs vary by jurisdiction. So I would hope that the next MUTCD develops a standard sign so future implementations can be uniform.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

DaBigE

Quote from: roadfro on June 23, 2018, 03:35:07 PM
However, it seems like there are very few agencies across the country that will install a left-turn FYA without an explanatory sign, and the designs vary by jurisdiction. So I would hope that the next MUTCD develops a standard sign so future implementations can be uniform.

By the time the next MUTCD comes out, it likely won't be needed. WisDOT has already stopped regularly installing the sign with most new FYA installations
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

jeffandnicole

Quote from: DaBigE on June 23, 2018, 04:01:03 PM
Quote from: roadfro on June 23, 2018, 03:35:07 PM

By the time the next MUTCD comes out, it likely won't be needed. WisDOT has already stopped regularly installing the sign with most new FYA installations

There's several states that don't have them at all, and other states where there's just a few or they're slowly being implimented, so there still is quite a learning curve.  Also, those that are from areas that don't have them will benefit from the signage when they do encounter one.

txstateends

Dallas has not displayed any signage with its FYA installs (new ones and retrofits alike), while the suburbs are a different story.  Most of them include a graphic on their signs, but a couple do an all-text version.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Here is a rendition of what Fort Smith area signs look like:

I did come across that layout for the MassDOT example when looking for the symbolic variant of FYA signage v. text based.

I eyeballed it from this PDF, so the "ON FLASHING" may be too wide or too condensed.

I stole line spacing from R10-12.

I don't really like the cartoony looking arrow, but if it works, it works!
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Rothman

My kids are learning how to drive and their classroom curriculum here in NY covers FYAs specifically.  Of course, they were a couple of the few students who knew what they were beforehand.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on June 24, 2018, 02:45:24 PM
I don't really like the cartoony looking arrow, but if it works, it works!

Norman has some with that same arrow and some with a standard Type D arrow.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

Most FYAs in WA do not include supplementary signage. However, some agencies (Federal Way, Puyallup) use the sign religiously.

There are two variations: the first and least common is the all text variation, only used by WSDOT once (167/Valley Fwy @ Stewart Road). The second and by far most common is the "LEFT TURN YIELD ON FLASHING YELLOW" sign with a yellow arrow symbol below.

Federal Way has quite a few that are much taller than most that I've seen (at least 40+ inches). There's also some (usually right facing) that include other odd messages, such as "YIELD TO PEDS".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.