News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Undead Road Plans

Started by theroadwayone, August 18, 2018, 03:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankenroad

Quote from: amroad17 on August 26, 2018, 12:52:20 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on August 25, 2018, 10:36:30 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on August 21, 2018, 09:56:05 PM
North of the Ohio River, I-73
Runner up, 4 laning US 30 east of Canton to Oh 11
I-73 would have to end in Ohio somewhere. Michigan doesn't want any part of it.
Ohio really does not want I-73 either.

Here in Cincinnati, a dead 60+ year project has risen like a phoenix.  At one time there was supposed to be a Queen City Expressway going west from the Western Hills viaduct along Queen City Avenue (where it was supposed to end, I am not sure).  Apparently, there is some semblance of that long dormant plan as construction began earlier this year at building a mile long expressway from the western end of the Western Hills viaduct.  From what I have seen, this highway will be in a trench between Queen City Ave (WB Queen City) and Westwood Ave (EB Queen City).  The latest googlemaps shows buildings razed between the two streets.

The Queen City project is primarily a sewer & flood control project, called the Lick Run Project, whose by-product will be a "boulevard" of sorts.   More information is here

http://projectgroundwork.org/projects/lowermillcreek/sustainable/lickrun/alternative/vcs.htm and here

http://www.projectgroundwork.org/lickrun/

This is one of the reasons the sewer/water rates in Hamilton County are so high...
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

vdeane

Quote from: Henry on September 13, 2018, 11:58:33 AM
The I-74 extension has the exact same fate as I-73: it is not wanted by the states north of where it currently exists (VA, WV and OH).

I will believe it when I see that new Cincinnati expressway actually get built.
WV had interest at one time, but only if they could have the coal mining company leave the roadbed behind for their paving crews to work with.  FHWA said no, so WV said no to I-74 and is building the road to corridor standards instead.  VA doesn't actually have anything to do but erect signage, but without WV it is pointless for them to do so.  OH was and is completely uninterested... whether WV building their section could have coaxed them to eventually do something is another question.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

sparker

Quote from: vdeane on September 13, 2018, 07:37:49 PM
Quote from: Henry on September 13, 2018, 11:58:33 AM
The I-74 extension has the exact same fate as I-73: it is not wanted by the states north of where it currently exists (VA, WV and OH).

I will believe it when I see that new Cincinnati expressway actually get built.
WV had interest at one time, but only if they could have the coal mining company leave the roadbed behind for their paving crews to work with.  FHWA said no, so WV said no to I-74 and is building the road to corridor standards instead.  VA doesn't actually have anything to do but erect signage, but without WV it is pointless for them to do so.  OH was and is completely uninterested... whether WV building their section could have coaxed them to eventually do something is another question.

Obviously the only part of the 73/74 corridor that gained Ohio's interest was the now almost finished Portsmouth bypass.  If the northern end of that facility were to be extended west across the Scioto valley parallel to OH 348 & OH 73 (and eventually merging with OH 32 west toward Cincinnati) it would mimic the original proposed path for I-74; I-73 would have diverged northward at or near the US 23 junction near Lucasville.  But it's now a strictly local server; the cancellation of the Kalama bridge project back about 2002 meant that a continuous Interstate-grade corridor from WV into OH was no longer on the table, which simply underscored the WV downgrade.  But at least OH was able to wring something of value out of all the original corridor plans.       

hbelkins

Quote from: vdeane on September 13, 2018, 07:37:49 PM
WV had interest at one time, but only if they could have the coal mining company leave the roadbed behind for their paving crews to work with.  FHWA said no, so WV said no to I-74 and is building the road to corridor standards instead.

Don't think it was FHWA that said no, but instead a West Virginia court. SP Cook would know the details.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

lcwoods529

Quote from: TheOneKEA on August 19, 2018, 01:37:45 PM
The MD 32 freeway between MD 108 in Clarksville and I-70 in West Friendship. It's been planned for the past 20 years and has been built piecemeal over the past 10. It's been planned for so long that it's succumbed to attrition and is now being recast as a partial access-controlled divided highway.

The US 50 six-lane upgrade between Queenstown and the MD 404 intersection north of Wye Mills has been planned for the past 45 years and is no closer to fruition. Its companion project of the dualization of MD 404 between US 50 and the western end of the Denton, MD bypass finally got built.

The replacement of the intersection between MD 140 and MD 97 in Westminster is also an undead project that needs to be built.

I live in Westminster (although, a transplant). What is the 140/97 intersection upgrade you speak of?

davewiecking

Quote from: lcwoods529 on October 31, 2018, 09:02:49 AM
The replacement of the intersection between MD 140 and MD 97 in Westminster is also an undead project that needs to be built.
I live in Westminster (although, a transplant). What is the 140/97 intersection upgrade you speak of?
Probably part of this:
http://apps.roads.maryland.gov/WebProjectLifeCycle/ProjectInformation.aspx?projectno=CL702116

TheOneKEA

Quote from: davewiecking on October 31, 2018, 11:36:06 AM
Quote from: lcwoods529 on October 31, 2018, 09:02:49 AM
Probably part of this:
http://apps.roads.maryland.gov/WebProjectLifeCycle/ProjectInformation.aspx?projectno=CL702116

Yes, that's the project I was thinking about. It is very necessary and should have been built a long time ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.