News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unbuilt I-687 Northside Northway connection

Started by route17fan, August 24, 2018, 12:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route17fan

The project that sent the town of Colonie in to a tizzy, I was able to locate via Babel Hathitrust an Environmental Impact Statement from 1972 (link below); and while not a popular topic for Colonie residents, I found it a fascinating read and thought maybe feedback would be interesting to read - especially with Northway exit 4 work being done.

link: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=ien.35556030149314;view=1up;seq=5

I-687 has been mentioned sporadically in various threads but nothing centralized.
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

froggie

^ A pity one can't download that without being a member or being associated with a college/university that's a member.  Unfortunately, mine isn't.

cl94

Quote from: froggie on August 24, 2018, 02:29:36 PM
^ A pity one can't download that without being a member or being associated with a college/university that's a member.  Unfortunately, mine isn't.

I was able to get it from being an alum of a partner institution. Anyone who wants it can send me a PM and I'll send over a link.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

route17fan

I have 'downloaded' it - but page by page and saving the page images as JPEGS.  :-D
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Roadsguy

Interesting how they show I-687 continuing northwest from I-87. What was that meant to connect to? The unbuilt I-88 extension along NY 7?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

froggie

I-88 as we know it today was not planned as an Interstate at the time.  And I-687 was planned to end at I-87.  The roadway continuing westward would have been a state-level freeway.  The EIS says it would have connected with "Alternate Route 50 near Schenectady."  There is no mention of what route number it might have had west of 87.

vdeane

Wasn't Alt 50 all the way over in Scotia?  That seems a long ways, especially given that it would basically be serving the same corridor as I-890 for much of the length.  I always figured it was an airport connector.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

^ At least one planning map I came upon in the past (which might have been posted by Doug pre-AARoads-forum) showed a corridor extending through the north side of Scotia and to 890 near the Thruway (Exit 26).

NYSDOT considered it as far more than just an "Airport Connector".  There was also a proposed north-south freeway parallel to and just west of the north-south leg of NY 155 that the Albany-Schenectady Corridor would have tied into.  That north-south freeway would have also extended south of the Thruway to tie into a then-proposed corridor between Exit 25 and the Berkshire Spur.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.