Instances Where Backplates Don't Apply

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, September 17, 2018, 11:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

So, I was looking through ArDOT's Standard Drawings, specifically SD-11, and found that the standards call for backplates on certain signals. But, I have come across many that don't meet this requirement.

Do you know which signals in your area are not to requirement?
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

jakeroot

British Columbia does not require backplates when signals are mounted on the mast, though when mounted alone on a pole, they often have backplates. Otherwise, overhead signals always have backplates (minus a few in Victoria).

Spokane, WA does not backplates for the mid-level (pole/mast) signals, only overhead.

traffic light guy

Where I live, signals don't have backplates if they're side-mounted, or if they're extremely old

US 89

While Utah now generally requires backplates with a reflective yellow outer border, the standards explicitly call for backplates to not be installed on doghouses. To my knowledge, this has always been the case. A few doghouse backplates have slipped through over the years, but they are few and far between.

steviep24

NYSDOT started using backplates for all new signals maybe about 5 years ago so most signals in NY are without backplates. In Rochester, Monroe county started using them at around the same time. As far as New York City goes due to outdated signal designs which they continue to use even for new signals I don't think they ever will use backplates.

Big John

IDOT District 1 does not use them fot side- or pole-mounted signals but uses them for overhead signals.

roadfro

Nevada uses backplates on all installations That's been the standard for a long time.

You may find some older signals mounted on a mast without backplates. Not sure that that was ever a standard; more likely broken backplates never replaced.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.