News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Hockey

Started by BigMattFromTexas, March 15, 2010, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

Some folks had beginned to do predictions for the 2019 Stanley cup championship and thinking of Tampa Bay, Boston, Toronto,... but one guy go even further by predicting the 2027 Stanley cup champions.
https://thecanuckway.com/2018/08/30/vancouver-canucks-2027-stanley-cup-champions/

1995hoo

We picked up our latest Cup item from the framing store today. They dry-mounted the front page and put the rest of the section in a pocket on the back.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Big John

NHL executive committee unanimously recommends an expansion team in Seattle.  https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl-seattle-expansion-moves-closer-011533093.html

ET21

Hockey returns tonight!!!
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Bruce

So long as the team name isn't crappy or offensive, hockey should thrive in Seattle. The city is hungry for an indoor sports team.

1995hoo

Quote@1995hoo

Let's try to explain this in @dcsportsbog style: Tonight, the @StanleyCup Champion @Capitals, who won the Stanley Cup and are the champions, raised the Stanley Cup Champions banner, skated the Stanley Cup, and came out looking like they could have a chance to win the Stanley Cup.

:D :D :D
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

Quote from: Bruce on October 03, 2018, 05:35:10 PM
So long as the team name isn't crappy or offensive, hockey should thrive in Seattle. The city is hungry for an indoor sports team.
Seattle Indians?

rickmastfan67

Shoulda been half a season with all the suspensions he's gotten in just one year for this type of crap!

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1047574135436656640

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Alps on October 03, 2018, 11:38:42 PM
Seattle Indians?

There's also Seattle Totems that could be use as a tribute to a 1950s-1960s team who was in the WHL or Seattle Mets/Metropolitans as a tribute to the first team in the United States to win the Stanley cup back in 1917.

The Washington Capitals unveils their Stanley Cup banner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvKhm6xlGlQ

Bruce

Totems might be a controversial name nowadays, given that totem poles aren't endemic to the Northwest (they're from Alaska) and it could be seen as exploiting indigenous imagery from the Alaskan Natives.

Metropolitans is the best name, by far, given that it's historic, neutral, and actually fits the identity of the modern city. It also plays with the Metro bus system, just like how the Sounders match the Sounder commuter train.

PAHighways

Seattle Indians?

Seattle Baristas

hotdogPi

Quote from: PAHighways on October 04, 2018, 10:36:57 PM
Seattle Indians?

Seattle Baristas
Kirkland Trekkies
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

rickmastfan67

Seattle Homeless

Alps

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Bruce on October 04, 2018, 08:28:08 PM
Totems might be a controversial name nowadays, given that totem poles aren't endemic to the Northwest (they're from Alaska) and it could be seen as exploiting indigenous imagery from the Alaskan Natives.

Metropolitans is the best name, by far, given that it's historic, neutral, and actually fits the identity of the modern city. It also plays with the Metro bus system, just like how the Sounders match the Sounder commuter train.

Will their team colors be orange and blue?
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 04, 2018, 11:29:40 PM
Seattle Homeless
Instead of Seattle "whatevers," call them the Jimi Nirvanas.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

ET21

Hawks with 3 OT games to start the season, nabbed 5 of 6 points. Cam Ward cannot stop a beach ball :awesomeface:

Clinched:

Bruce

NHL Seattle wants to build its offices and training rinks (including youth facilities) in Northgate, a redeveloped mall next to light rail.

https://www.nhlseattle.com/news-ice-centre.html

Personally, I think it's a waste of extremely valuable land next to transit. There's plenty of quasi-industrial land that could be used for low-rise buildings that are closer to downtown.

ET21

Joel Quennville has been relieved of coaching duties for the Chicago Blackhawks. He has the 2nd most wins in NHL history, the best record as a Blackhawks coach, the best playoff record as a Blackhawks coach, and 3 Stanley Cups.  :confused: :confused:

Jeremy Colliton, the AHL affiliate head coach for the Rockford Icehogs, will replace him and make his debut Thursday at home against Carolina. Details are still coming out

Clinched:

Flint1979

I'm not sure how much land there is near downtown Seattle to build a new arena. In Detroit, the land where Little Caesars Arena was built was vacant land and just required some abandoned buildings to be demolished but most of it was vacant land that was used for parking for Tigers and Lions games before construction started on the arena.

Little Caesars Arena seems to take up about four blocks. I know Comerica Park takes up six blocks. I've been looking at downtown Seattle on Google Maps and just can't figure out where a new arena would be built. I like the idea of the teams playing in the city limits of the city they represent and never liked the Pistons playing in Auburn Hills even though it's about 30 miles closer to my house than Little Caesars Arena is, although I haven't been to a Pistons game in about 25 years.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: ET21 on November 06, 2018, 09:50:53 AM
Joel Quennville has been relieved of coaching duties for the Chicago Blackhawks. He has the 2nd most wins in NHL history, the best record as a Blackhawks coach, the best playoff record as a Blackhawks coach, and 3 Stanley Cups.  :confused: :confused:

Jeremy Colliton, the AHL affiliate head coach for the Rockford Icehogs, will replace him and make his debut Thursday at home against Carolina. Details are still coming out

This one hits home a little bit for me.  Along with Quenneville, assistants Kevin Dineen and Ulf Samuelsson were given the axe as well.  As a former Whaler season ticket holder, it's a sad day. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Henry

I am shocked at this latest development involving Joel Quennville! At least the Blackhawks got three Stanley Cups out of him, so it's all good.

Also, I hope that the 32nd team does come to Seattle.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Bruce

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 06, 2018, 09:39:23 PM
I'm not sure how much land there is near downtown Seattle to build a new arena. In Detroit, the land where Little Caesars Arena was built was vacant land and just required some abandoned buildings to be demolished but most of it was vacant land that was used for parking for Tigers and Lions games before construction started on the arena.

Little Caesars Arena seems to take up about four blocks. I know Comerica Park takes up six blocks. I've been looking at downtown Seattle on Google Maps and just can't figure out where a new arena would be built. I like the idea of the teams playing in the city limits of the city they represent and never liked the Pistons playing in Auburn Hills even though it's about 30 miles closer to my house than Little Caesars Arena is, although I haven't been to a Pistons game in about 25 years.

The old plan was to build a new arena at 1st & Holgate just south of the Mariners ballpark formerly known as Safeco Field. Because it would have required a vacation of a street, the issue went before the city council and was denied due to some bribes from the port, a major landowner concerns about the street's vital nature to city commerce.

There's no place to build a new arena, short of SODO (which is industrial land on filled tideflats, prime target for an earthquake), Interbay (similar situation, but with a major railyard), and the Metro bus bases just south of I-90. The parking lot just north of CenturyLink Field would have made for a decent option had the condo and office towers not been built there recently. The rest of the city is too hilly or far from downtown and transit to be a realistic option.

If Seattleites would have accepted a suburban arena, there were a few options on the board, mainly in Tukwila at Interuban Avenue (requiring a new light rail station) or near Tukwila's commuter rail station (requiring more service). Otherwise, an arena in the slowly-developing are around downtown Bellevue would have been a suitable option.

Flint1979

Quote from: Bruce on November 15, 2018, 08:05:17 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 06, 2018, 09:39:23 PM

The old plan was to build a new arena at 1st & Holgate just south of the Mariners ballpark formerly known as Safeco Field. Because it would have required a vacation of a street, the issue went before the city council and was denied due to some bribes from the port, a major landowner concerns about the street's vital nature to city commerce.

There's no place to build a new arena, short of SODO (which is industrial land on filled tideflats, prime target for an earthquake), Interbay (similar situation, but with a major railyard), and the Metro bus bases just south of I-90. The parking lot just north of CenturyLink Field would have made for a decent option had the condo and office towers not been built there recently. The rest of the city is too hilly or far from downtown and transit to be a realistic option.

If Seattleites would have accepted a suburban arena, there were a few options on the board, mainly in Tukwila at Interuban Avenue (requiring a new light rail station) or near Tukwila's commuter rail station (requiring more service). Otherwise, an arena in the slowly-developing are around downtown Bellevue would have been a suitable option.
The problem I was having with finding a suitable location and wondering why not that location was that the city is too hilly and everything is developed around downtown so there aren't too many options available and what would be available is too far from downtown. Why not just demolish Key Arena and build a new arena on that site? A new arena would most likely fit the block from Republican to Thomas and 1st N to the line that would be 2nd N if that street was a through street.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.