News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-35/NE 23rd St., Oklahoma City--originally an AASHO rotary

Started by J N Winkler, October 08, 2011, 12:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

Recently I came across some information which suggests that, when it was originally built, the I-35/NE 23rd Street interchange in Oklahoma City consisted of a rotary straddling the Interstate.  The current configuration is essentially a diamond interchange with crossovers on either side, possibly reusing the original bridges or bridge supports for the rotary in combination with a new bridge to carry NE 23rd over the Interstate:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=NE+23rd+St,+Oklahoma+City,+OK&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=NE+23rd+St,+Oklahoma+City,+Oklahoma&ll=35.493052,-97.464952&spn=0.001594,0.002411&t=h&z=19&vpsrc=6

Does anyone know when this configuration was put in place?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Rick1962

You are correct, the I-35/NE 23 interchange was originally a rotary. The conventional overpass was built sometime in the 1990's IIRC.

Points of interest: The original US 66/Grand Blvd. (current I-44/Hefner Pkwy) interchange was a similar rotary configuration, and the original I-35/US66 (current I-35/SH66) interchange in Edmond was a modified version of same.

And one more: The area in OKC known as Classen Circle was, indeed, once a traffic circle, which was removed in the early 1980's.

InterstateNG

I checked Google Earth's historical imagery for the area, and it was a rotary until at least 1995.  There's a gap between 95 and 02.
I demand an apology.

rte66man

The I35/NE23rd interchange was converted about 8-9 years ago.  I will have to look at some old maps to get an exact date.  I don't recall the Grand/US66 being a rotary.  Will ahve to check on that as well.  WOuld have been built in the 50's??

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Rick1962

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

Alps

Exp date passed - looks like a jpg? Maybe we can rehost

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Rick1962

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

route56

Or, you could just get rid of the &exp and &ip fields...
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

rte66man

Thanks for "fixing" the link so I could see it. Would guess the photo to date appx 1953 based on the housing around it.

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.