E-ZPass and national interoperability

Started by cpzilliacus, October 05, 2012, 09:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

TOLLROADSnews: E-ZPass Group not expecting others to join for national IOP, compiling list of protocols, meeting MPR manufacturers

QuoteE-ZPass leaders today denied they expect other toll blocs around the country to join E-ZPass as part of the implementation of national interoperability (IOP) although they say they expect some new members. PJ Wilkins executive director was asked this question directly in an hour long internet hookup - a "Webinar" - organized by IBTTA and the E-ZPass Group (EZPG) Thursday.

QuoteNC should be operating as part of E-ZPass before the end of the year. But there were other ways of achieving interoperability that could come out of discussion with the various toll technology blocs (our term, not Wilkins.)

QuoteThe three EZPG presenters were firm on NIOP as being based on transponder-reader transactions with only a minor role for video tolling or license plate reads and motor registry lookup.

QuoteOnly transponder reads can offer the needed accuracy, they said, and the difficulty of dealing with the same alphanumeric on an array of different license plate types makes image based tolling too uncertain.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Scott5114

More toll groups should consider joining EZPass. I do not use toll roads frequently, but if either KTA or OTA (Kansas and Oklahoma respectively) joined EZPass, I'd be slightly more inclined to get their transponder because then I could use it if I ever went to Chicago or the East Coast. If KTA and OTA were interoperable with one another, I'd definitely get one, EZPass or no, since although I don't use Kansas or Oklahoma turnpikes enough to justify having one, together I probably would.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

If some sort of national standard is desired, it's obvious that EZPass should be the choice since it's the most widespread. Instead of forcing everyone to adopt PikePass or something else that's only in one state, why not use the one that's already accepted in multiple jurisdictions?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

YankeesFan

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on October 05, 2012, 10:39:38 AM
If some sort of national standard is desired, it's obvious that EZPass should be the choice since it's the most widespread. Instead of forcing everyone to adopt PikePass or something else that's only in one state, why not use the one that's already accepted in multiple jurisdictions?

I agree.

And I do not think that plate imaging is the solution to interoperability, based on extensive personal experience with license plate reader technology.  There are just too many formats, and too many fonts, and too many format variations in license plates across North America for this to work in a 100% or even 99% reliable way. 

One of the suggestions in the TOLLROADSnews article was to go with multi-mode transponder readers at toll payment points (and entry points on "closed" toll roads like the Ohio, Pennsylvania and New Jersey Turnpikes). 

One of the accepted transponders could be the "traditional" Mark IV (E-ZPass) transponder, and another might be the inexpensive "6C" transponder (I think that's the one in common use in Florida), though there is presumably an upper limit to the number of transponder models that could be read by transponder readers.

And even though I have not driven on a toll road outside of the E-ZPass "footprint" in a long time, there is substantial traffic between SunPass territory in Florida and the E-ZPass states of the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and Midwest states.  And even though there are not that many people that routinely drive cars between the Atlantic and Pacific coast states, many commercial vehicles do this - frequently.  And then there are (smaller [compared to E-ZPass]) "islanded" transponder areas in places as diverse as Ontario, Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado and Texas.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

xcellntbuy

Not yet.  I maintain both a Sunpass and an E-Z Pass account for my travels.

SP Cook

We missed the boat on this.  There should be one national (international counting Canada) standard for transponders. Higher end cars should come with the transponders built in, evidenced by a light on the dash, etc.

vdeane

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 05, 2012, 12:45:19 PM
And then there are (smaller [compared to E-ZPass]) "islanded" transponder areas in places as diverse as Ontario, Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado and Texas.
Quebec is also an island.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

myosh_tino

Quote from: deanej on October 06, 2012, 10:04:46 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 05, 2012, 12:45:19 PM
And then there are (smaller [compared to E-ZPass]) "islanded" transponder areas in places as diverse as Ontario, Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado and Texas.
Quebec is also an island.
Add California (FasTrak) and Washington (Good2Go) to that list of "islanded" transponder areas.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: SP Cook on October 06, 2012, 06:58:12 AM
We missed the boat on this.  There should be one national (international counting Canada) standard for transponders. Higher end cars should come with the transponders built in, evidenced by a light on the dash, etc.

I think all motor vehicles sold in new in North America will eventually be equipped with some sort of standard, built-in dedicated short-range communications (DSRC) transponder, maybe 5.9 GHz.

Consider that the (recently approved) MAP-21 law mandates national interoperability within four years, as TOLLROADSnews wrote:

QuoteFausti was asked about 5.9GHz a USDOT favorite and said it might have a future in the longterm if safety applications see it being adopted by manufacturers or mandated. But that was all too uncertain  and too far off, he suggested, to be useful in meeting the 4-year goal of national interoperability (NIOP) under the federal MAP21 mandate.

Scott5114

Why does a transponder need to be built into a car? Is there anything wrong with having it on the windshield? Seems kind of a waste to sell a car with a transponder in it to someone in, say, Montana that will never need it...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 06, 2012, 12:36:54 PM
Why does a transponder need to be built into a car? Is there anything wrong with having it on the windshield? Seems kind of a waste to sell a car with a transponder in it to someone in, say, Montana that will never need it...

Might be cheaper to build them in to all vehicles.  As I understand it, air conditioning is sold as standard equipment in many vehicles across North America, even in places like Alaska and the Yukon Territory (where it's not usually needed).

hbelkins

I have one EZPass. My wife and I share it. She gets it when she is traveling to states with toll roads, and I keep it for my travels. We only pay one fee.

Multiple transponders, one for each vehicle, would mean multiple fees.

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on October 06, 2012, 02:41:52 PM

I have one EZPass. My wife and I share it. She gets it when she is traveling to states with toll roads, and I keep it for my travels. We only pay one fee.

Possibly.  Some toll agencies don't charge fees.  ISTHA does not for I-Pass (fully compatible with EZ-Pass).  I just got a letter today telling me to trade in my transponder since it is near the end of its life (got it 9 years ago), and the trade will be dome at no cost.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Ace10

Quote from: Brandon on October 06, 2012, 03:31:39 PM

Possibly.  Some toll agencies don't charge fees.  ISTHA does not for I-Pass (fully compatible with EZ-Pass).  I just got a letter today telling me to trade in my transponder since it is near the end of its life (got it 9 years ago), and the trade will be dome at no cost.

FTE/SunPass and WSDOT/Good to Go! also do not charge fees, though WSDOT will charge a fee after 24 months of non-use. However, some toll agencies in Florida may charge a non-use fee, or deactivate the transponders and charge a fee to reactivate them - I think OOCEA does this.

When I was planning on taking a trip from Orlando to Chicago and researching E-ZPass transponders, I eventually chose ISTHA/I-Pass because of its lack of fees in general and (of course) its interoperability with other E-ZPass states. There are certain fees for using the Indiana Toll Road, and Indiana's i-Zoom charges fees for using Illinois's toll roads, but it's something so small that it really had little effect on my trip.

Duke87

But see, you're breaking the rules. When you get a transponder, it's supposed to be associated with a specific vehicle. You're not supposed to share them.

Having the transponder built in would then just enforce this, which is currently difficult (and not done, hence why it's blatantly violated by a lot of people).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Ace10

Quote from: Duke87 on October 06, 2012, 05:12:33 PM

But see, you're breaking the rules. When you get a transponder, it's supposed to be associated with a specific vehicle. You're not supposed to share them.

Having the transponder built in would then just enforce this, which is currently difficult (and not done, hence why it's blatantly violated by a lot of people).

Not for every agency.

WSDOT: The tolling system does not require that each pass be matched to a specific vehicle license plate.  Therefore, your movable passes can be used on any of the vehicles listed on your account.

FTE: You may use your SunPass Portable personal transponder on another vehicle that has the same number of axles, as long as the vehicle and license plate are listed on your account information. Transponders issued to commercial accounts are interchangeable between vehicles, regardless of vehicle type or axle count. For your convenience, the SunPass Portable transponders may be easily moved from car to car. However, all vehicles and license plates must be listed on your account information.

If you're talking about E-ZPass Interoperability Group transponders, I-Pass allows sharing between vehicles. According to their Terms of Agreement, "Use your I-PASS only on the vehicle(s) listed by make, model, and license plate and with the proper number of axles and tires specified on your application." There is nothing prohibiting sharing transponders between vehicles.

E-ZPass New Jersey: [Y]ou may transfer a tag between vehicles as long as they are of the same vehicle class. There are penalties for using a tag in a different vehicle class (i.e. Car tag in a tractor-trailer).

Brandon

No, a transponder can be shared between vehicles.  With ISTHA, an I-Pass can be shared between different vehicles so long as each vehicle is registered as a user of that transponder with them.  It's a great way to keep from making a mistake with a rental car.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

myosh_tino

Not so in California.  All vehicles listed in a person's FasTrak account (by license plate number) can use the same transponder.  FasTrak users also have the option to request additional transponders  but depending on the tolling agency, they may incur additional fees.  For FasTrak users in the San Francisco Bay Area, we're allowed two transponders at no cost but must pay a monthly fee for any additional transponders.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

hbelkins

Mine's from West Virginia, and you're allowed to share transponders if the vehicles are registered with the turnpike authority. My Vue, my truck and my wife's Vue are all registered. I called them back in the winter when I was issued new plates with new numbers.

Funny story as to how I came to have a WV EZPass, which does charge a nominal fee. My wife was planning a trip to an area that uses EZPass, and I ordered two fee-free ones from the Peace Bridge authority. I think Peace Bridge requires one tag per vehicle. I ordered them in plenty of time for them to arrive, but they didn't get shipped in time. (They were being shipped out of Florida). So I ended up taking an afternoon off work and driving to Charleston to pick up one in person.

Of course the Peace Bridge tags finally arrived, and they've never been used. I ought to find them and send them back and get my $50 back. Someone else is now handling Peace Bridge's EZPass tags now. I think it's the NY Thruway. I got a notice but forgot about it, and found it last week while cleaning off my desk at work.

Duke87

Quote from: hbelkins on October 06, 2012, 09:43:13 PM

Mine's from West Virginia, and you're allowed to share transponders if the vehicles are registered with the turnpike authority. My Vue, my truck and my wife's Vue are all registered. I called them back in the winter when I was issued new plates with new numbers.

Huh. Well, not so in New York! If you register another car, they send you another transponder for it. Any fees which may be levied are per account, though, not per transponder, so there is no financial reason to break this rule - people just do it for convenience.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Ace10

Quote from: Duke87 on October 06, 2012, 10:51:43 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 06, 2012, 09:43:13 PM

Huh. Well, not so in New York! If you register another car, they send you another transponder for it. Any fees which may be levied are per account, though, not per transponder, so there is no financial reason to break this rule - people just do it for convenience.

That's actually really nice that additional transponders don't come with additional cost. I know the first transponder for ISTHA's I-Pass comes with a deposit, and additional transponders probably incur more deposits, too. You have to purchase WSDOT's Good-to-Go! and FTE's SunPass, though account registration is free and any initial deposit fully goes towards tolls. I'm sure there are perks and disadvantages to each agency's way of handling things. For example, NY's system would have been great when I got a second SunPass transponder for my parents and tied it to my account, but since the SunPass Mini included a rebate equal to the purchase price in tolls, it wouldn't have really made any difference. However, families with multiple cars all wanting to stay under the same account and not have to worry about remembering to bring their transponder with them would be great.

vdeane

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 06, 2012, 12:48:59 PM

Might be cheaper to build them in to all vehicles.  As I understand it, air conditioning is sold as standard equipment in many vehicles across North America, even in places like Alaska and the Yukon Territory (where it's not usually needed).
AC is needed in winter just as much as summer, for a different reason: to de-fog the windows.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cpzilliacus

Not in Maryland.  We have five vehicles on my E-ZPass account (three in my family, two that belong to my Dad).  As long as we charge $1.50 per month to any one of them (we do), there's no fee.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.