News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 03:02:23 PM
Southeast / Re: Florida
Last post by ElishaGOtis - Today at 02:58:29 PM
Quote from: Alex on April 24, 2024, 01:51:38 PMFollowing over six and half years of construction, the Gateway Expressway (SR 686A/690) in Pinellas is finally set to open this Friday!

QuoteAccording to the Florida Department of Transportation, the new toll roads and I-275 Express Lanes are expected to open to traffic on Friday, April 26.

The Gateway Expressway not only connects U.S. 19 and I-275 but also directly connects the Bayside Bridge — north of 49th Street N. — to I-275.

Opened today as planned! Just clinched 686A headed "westbound." I'll get some pictures soon.

IMHO it's an EXTREMELY impressive project overall, lots of room for future expansion.

Quote from: roadman65 on April 25, 2024, 06:42:24 PMhttps://fdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/instant/basic/index.html?appid=3b2f9ae3594343d8aa0aa74cf569a5bf
Pensacola construction on I-10 at US 29 starts.

Did they make the speed limit 50MPH again? :crazy:

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 25, 2024, 10:34:23 AM
Quote from: ElishaGOtis on April 23, 2024, 01:59:57 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 22, 2024, 03:19:56 PM
Quote from: NE2 on April 04, 2024, 01:35:00 PM
Quote from: formulanone on April 04, 2024, 08:47:03 AMThis is the first reference to SR 516 that I've seen...is it part of a proposed beltway for Clermont or just a connector between US 27 and SR 429? Seems to be a puzzling location for now.
Just a connector. US 27 has gone to shit and there are no good connections to 429 between 192 and 50.
This is why US 27 should be upgraded into a limited-access highway at least between US 192 and 50, instead of building all the other crap they're building around there. I'd almost consider extending the upgrade to I-4.

IMHO, if anything is in need of an upgrade, it's US-27 south of I-4 and north of the new Toll 516 connector. It appears that your proposal would do a similar job to what 516, 429, and I-4 express will do, provided that they work properly in tandem. What do you think? :hmmm:
That wouldn't be such a bad idea either, although I'm not sure how far south the upgrade should go. I'd be willing to consider as far south as SR 60. South of that, while there's certainly some suburban sprawl, I'm not sure the traffic gets bad enough to require turning the road into a limited-access highway.

Maybe could be useful for hurricane evacuation?
Last post by kalvado - Today at 02:57:28 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on Today at 02:05:06 PMNot sure what the point of removing the images is?  The bridge did in fact exist and the right of way seemingly will be reused.
Not sure what the point of keeping the images would be?  The bridge no longer exist and images have no value except for historic and nostalgia - hence useless for most maps users. .
Pacific Southwest / Re: California
Last post by cl94 - Today at 02:53:34 PM
Yeah, saw that this morning. Everything else is opening on schedule, figured those would as well unless there's a freak late storm.
Off-Topic / Re: My idea for US currency re...
Last post by kalvado - Today at 02:50:07 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on Today at 01:48:41 PMA century ago, nearly all everyday commerce was in coins ONLY.  Carrying a single $1 banknote around then was like carrying at least a C-note now.  And yet, in the 1920s, we normally used coins of 1¢, 5¢, 10¢, 25¢ and 50¢.  a half dollar would buy a decent restaurant meal for the entire family.

Mike

Mike
Probably the most important missing piece for me.
And then you are basically saying that rounding things to the nearest $1 would be an equivalent of ol'good times? Makes at least some sense...
Sports / Re: NFL (2024 Season)
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 02:39:57 PM
Quote from: thspfc on Today at 02:29:45 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on Today at 01:19:46 PMI'm also still holding judgement on Love's future career. He is nowhere near Mahomes' level and I doubt he will ever be a top 10 QB in the league.
Love is a top 10 QB right now . . .

Looks like we're back to this, eh?  :) I can think of, off the top of my head, 15 QBs that are better.

Mahomes
Lamar
Allen
Burrow
Stroud
Herbert
Rodgers
Cousins
Hurts
Goff
Lawrence
Prescott
Murray
Purdy
Tua
Sports / Re: NFL (2024 Season)
Last post by thspfc - Today at 02:29:45 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on Today at 01:19:46 PMI'm also still holding judgement on Love's future career. He is nowhere near Mahomes' level and I doubt he will ever be a top 10 QB in the league.
Love is a top 10 QB right now . . .
Last post by Max Rockatansky - Today at 02:05:06 PM
Not sure what the point of removing the images is?  The bridge did in fact exist and the right of way seemingly will be reused.
Last post by WillWeaverRVA - Today at 01:57:26 PM
All the GSV imagery from the bridge has been removed. The previous workaround of dragging the stick man to where the bridge used to be no longer works, and you can no longer advance onto the bridge from within GSV itself.
Off-Topic / Re: My idea for US currency re...
Last post by mgk920 - Today at 01:48:41 PM
Quote from: kalvado on Today at 12:53:14 PM
Quote from: akotchi on Today at 10:02:55 AMThe silver dollars (Morgan and Peace) circulated.  Currency existed, though not sure if it was that prevalent at the time.

Currency took over during the 36-year gap between dollar coin issuance, which also saw the elimination of precious metal (silver) from the coin.  I have to believe that this gap doomed the relevance of a dollar coin (especially one that large) while a dollar bill circulated.

Even with the smaller coin, dollar bills still rule -- who wants a pile of dollar coins in their pocket?  I see dollar coins mainly at train/subway stations.  As long as dollar bills are still made, no dollar coin of any type will circulate widely.  Any that are made now, Native American or American Innovation, are for collectors (not for circulation).  And . . . the U.S. Mint still makes money making money.

Canada and Europe seem to do well without 1 and 2 dollar/euro bills.
It's been a while since I used cash as a primary payment method... but back then coins were flowing both ways for me, and I would be OK with pretty large nomination coins as long as they were not too heavy.  Carrying coins, except for a stray coin or two,  isn't really a thing for me any more.  Most wallets are cards-and-bills these days anyway. 
Today, coins are mostly tossed into the bowl - and recently I dumped $120 worth of change into a change machine. If there were dollar coins in that mix... I would likely be less comfortable with parking that much money on a shelf, but what would that mean in reality? More frequent bank visits or less cash overall? 
I am not sure what I would do if I got $1-2-3 into that bowl instead of 25-50 cents each time I buy coffee for cash.

That is the full visible effect of inflation (100:1 to 120:1 between 1924 and now).  A century ago, nearly all everyday commerce was in coins ONLY.  Carrying a single $1 banknote around then was like carrying at least a C-note now.  And yet, in the 1920s, we normally used coins of 1¢, 5¢, 10¢, 25¢ and 50¢.  a half dollar would buy a decent restaurant meal for the entire family.

Mike

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.