News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mid-Atlantic / Re: Virginia
Last post by 1995hoo - Today at 07:36:07 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 15, 2024, 09:57:14 AMIs it my understanding that Y suffix routes in the commonwealth are designated for spur or branch routes connecting other highways?

Only you would be able to tell us what your understanding is (or was). Whether that understanding is right or wrong is a separate matter.
Northeast / Re: Pennsylvania
Last post by 74/171FAN - Today at 07:07:28 AM
Quote from: ABXY on Today at 01:57:35 AMWas there any explanation why of two spur routes of PA 36 (236 and 336, while keeping the utterly useless 436), PA 968 and PA 952 were decommissioned around 1984 in Jefferson County?

There was also PA 364 in Centre/Union County but I assumed PennDOT realized no one goes up to Orviston and so that was deleted too.

I did not see anything on Jeff Kitsko's site beyond the date of decommissioning.

Having stated that, I would not call PA 436 useless as it does serve as a southwest bypass of Downtown Punxsutawney.
Road Trips / Re: What road did you leave on...
Last post by Ted$8roadFan - Today at 05:09:04 AM
Left MA on I-295; returned on CT/MA-169.
Southeast / Re: Interstate 42
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 04:33:14 AM
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ygcoSVCATmVmenxK9
If NC copied Texas and convert the frontage roads into one ways and build underpasses at each at grade with Texas U Turns and exit ramps being slip rams to the parallel road. Minimal disruption will be made to upgrade into interstate freeway.
Central States / Re: Is a Trafficway only a Kan...
Last post by DandyDan - Today at 04:22:35 AM
I vaguely recall a road in Topeka, KS which had a trafficway designation, but don't know which road it was. It may have been US 24 because everything else is a street, avenue, or boulevard that I remember. Of course, Topeka also falls within the cultural orbit of Kansas City.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Update on I-69 Extension i...
Last post by ITB - Today at 02:35:10 AM
Another set. Again, photos were taken Saturday, April 13, 2014.

On the far south side of Indianapolis, looking north from the Southport Road overpass. At the time the photo was taken, the interchange's southbound exit ramp was closed to facilitate the ramp's realignment. Working nonstop over the weekend, the ramp was completed Sunday night and reopened to traffic.

Zoomed in shot. Cutting across mid-frame is the path of the old, now-closed, exit ramp. The location of that exit was, of course, temporary. The new ramp location, adjacent to sound barrier wall, seems more permanent than not. For those who don't regularly follow the project, I-69 will be four lanes in each direction between the Southport Road interchange and the I-465 interchange to the north. The forth lane will be a collector/distributor, which, southbound, will end as it becomes the exit ramp to Southport Road. Northbound, the situation is reversed with the entrance ramp from Southbound becoming the collector/distributor.

Another perspective of the Southport work zone. On the left is Belmont Road, which intersects with Southport Road and, to the north, Epler Avenue. While significant sections of Belmont have be reconstructed, there a couple of rough patches which are in need of serious repair. On the right is the future southbound mainline bridge over Little Buck Creek.

Zoomed in shot of the work crew. Don't know what exactly they were doing, but I'm pretty sure if I wandered down to ask, the head guy would have been none too pleased. Suffice it to say, they were engaged in road building! And busy they were, as they had a deadline to get the realigned ramp completed by late Sunday night.

Long range shot of the exit ramp and the general construction zone. With the ramp now repositioned, full blown work is now underway on the southbound mainline section between the bridges over Banta Road and Little Buck Creek to the south. It's roughly a quarter mile, so they'll knock it out in short order.

Another mid-range view from the Southport Road overpass. The only remaining work in this area is the short southbound mainline section, mentioned above, and the reconstruction and widening of approximately a half a mile of southbound mainline south of the Southport Road interchange. And that, my friends, is pretty much all there is to completing I-69 between the I-465 interchange and Evansville.

And one more, what the eye sees, looking north from Southport.

Here's a few pictures of the White River after the recent heavy rains. The White River — technically the west fork of the White River — and Interstate 69 have sort of ying-yang connection. Between Indianapolis and Martinsville, to the south, both are situated roughly parallel to each other, with the White River to the west. In northern Morgan County, near Stotts Creek and just to the north, the river's channel is just yards from the southbound lanes. Generally, because of the river's floodplain, there is little development west of I-69 in Morgan and Johnson counties.

Looking northeast toward I-69 and the mainline bridges over Stotts Creek. Although the river looks somewhat placid, it was anything but. The orange barrels are for a slide correction project near the bridges over Crooked Creek — around the bend in the deep background. There, a retaining wall was built into a hillside. Work on that project is now wrapping up.

Just west of Stotts Creek, the view looking north. The river channel is nearest to the roadway.

Longer range shot.

One more long range view, looking northeast. In the background right, note how high Stotts Creek is. That small creek has transformed into a raging torrent.

In Martinsville:

The view looking northwest just before the river flows underneath the SR 39 bridge.

And the view from the bridge, looking north.
Off-Topic / Re: Layoffs at Tesla
Last post by jeffandnicole - Today at 02:02:24 AM
It appears there's about 140k employees with Tesla. They did a round of layoff in 2022 also. At the end of 2021 Tesla wmployed about 100k, and quickly grew after that, including after those layoffs.

It should be noted that other large US car manufacturers have announced layoffs recently also.
Northeast / Re: Pennsylvania
Last post by ABXY - Today at 01:57:35 AM
Was there any explanation why of two spur routes of PA 36 (236 and 336, while keeping the utterly useless 436), PA 968 and PA 952 were decommissioned around 1984 in Jefferson County?

There was also PA 364 in Centre/Union County but I assumed PennDOT realized no one goes up to Orviston and so that was deleted too.
Off-Topic / Layoffs at Tesla
Last post by bing101 - Today at 01:33:44 AM
Apparently 10% of Tesla is cut from their operations. Also the issue here is that Elon Musk is the CEO of multiple companies at the same time how does he manage all of his operations from SpaceX, Tesla, and X.  Also he comes off as overrated depending on which companies the news is talking about at that time.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/teslas-senior-battery-executive-exits-company-2024-04-15/

https://apnews.com/article/tesla-layoff-workforce-sales-decline-ee35abc216b5aeb222068500b916ef14

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.