News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Bridges you've walked across

Started by kurumi, June 03, 2010, 12:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

Which noteworthy bridges have you walked across (for a good photo or otherwise)? Some of mine:

• Founders Bridge, Conn.
  • Charter Oak Bridge, Conn.
  • Golden Gate Bridge, Calif.
  • Harbour Bridge, Sydney (surface, and Bridge Climb)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

triplemultiplex

A bridge I'd mention walking across isn't so special because of the bridge itself, but because it was still under construction and I walked across on the naked steel girders.  Probably something I would not have attempted if there were no safety lines to hold on to. This was the southbound US 53 freeway bridge over the Eau Claire River.
Don't try it at home, kids. :)

(pic added)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

agentsteel53

heh, I once walked a bicycle across a "bridge" in Hungary that consisted of a pair of steel cables vertically separated by about six feet - basically handholds and footholds.  I had to hold the bicycle in one hand and use the other hand to hold the cable!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

I have walked across the Golden Gate Bridge, the Alfred Zampa Bridge, and the Delaware 1 C & D Canal Bridge.

Duke87

I'll only count the ones major enough to have a formal name, here:

• Henry Hudson Bridge (Bronx/Manhattan, NY)
  • Broadway Bridge (Manhattan, NY)
  • Macombs Dam Bridge (Bronx/Manhattan, NY)
  • Manhattan Bridge (Manhattan/Brooklyn, NY)
  • Brooklyn Bridge (Manhattan/Brooklyn, NY)
  • Old Poughkeepsie Rail Bridge (Highland/Poughkeepsie, NY)
  • Charlestown Bridge (Boston, MA)

My upcoming trip to Pittsburgh this August will inevitably add a few more.

Also, I've walked the George Washington bridge from the New Jersey anchorage to the New Jersey tower (and then up the elevator/stairs/ladders up to the top of the tower...) but no further along the walkway.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Ian

Charlestown Bridge (Boston, MA)
Ben Franklin Bridge (Philadelphia, PA)
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

dfilpus

Mackinac Bridge, Michigan, during the annual Labor Day Bridge Walk, a couple of times.

PAHighways

I used to walk across the Fort Duquesne Bridge on a daily basis when I worked in Pittsburgh, but the last one I walked across was the Smithfield Street Bridge on June 15 last year.

froggie

Not so much walk, but I bike across the Woodrow Wilson, 14th Street, and Memorial Bridges on a regular basis.  I've also walked across the Old Poughkeepsie Rail Bridge mentioned by Duke87.

Back home, I've biked across the Mendota Bridge (MN 55).

exit322

I've walked across the old railroad bridge that is now known as the Bridge of Dreams in Brinkhaven, OH - but I made that walk well before the covered bridge was built (a little more harrowing what with some railroad ties missing and the sort).

bugo

I walked across this thing twice:

It's not big or famous but it sure is scary!

mefailenglish

Chesapeake Bay Bridge in MD.  They have an annual bridge walk on the first Sunday in May, though it's only been held once or twice since 2001.

Jim

Probably the most well-known bridge I've walked across is the Rainbow Bridge between Niagara Falls, New York, and Niagara Falls, Canada.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

yanksfan6129

I've walked across the Old Railroad Bridge (Poughkeepsie/Highland, NY), and that was at a sort-of road meet in Oct. 2009 on the day it opened. It's called Walkway over the Hudson now.

I've also walked across the Roberto Clemente Bridge in Pittsburgh

OracleUsr

I don't remember which bridge it was, but I've marched across one of the St. Johns River bridges in downtown Jacksonville.  The thing bobbed up and down as a 230-piece marching band marched across it.

That was unsettling.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

akotchi

Chesapeake Bay Bridge in Maryland, sometime in the mid-1980's between closures for redecking.  I have a few pictures from that day.

Golden Gate Bridge, May 2009.  My wife lost all my pictures from that day when the camera card flipped off of a ferry pier in Sausalito.

The New Hope-Lambertville Bridge crossing the Delaware River.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

mgk920

Quote from: OracleUsr on June 03, 2010, 08:01:31 PM
I don't remember which bridge it was, but I've marched across one of the St. Johns River bridges in downtown Jacksonville.  The thing bobbed up and down as a 230-piece marching band marched across it.

That was unsettling.
That is why those marching in formation always (or should always) break stride when crossing bridges.

Mike

golden eagle

If it can be counted, the bridge over Hoover Dam.

US71

Chain of Rocks Bridge is the most notable.

I've walked across quite a few, though ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

AlpsRoads and I walked across the Junction Bridge between Little Rock and North Little Rock.

Bickendan

Willamette River:
-Sellwood Bridge (Biked only)
-Ross Island Bridge (US 26)
-Hawthorne Bridge
-Morrison Bridge
-Burnside Bridge
-Steel Bridge
-Broadway Bridge
-St Johns Bridge (Byp US 30) (Biked only)
-Marquam Bridge (I-5) (Biked only)
-Fremont Bridge (I-405) (Biked only)
Columbia River
-Interstate Bridge (I-5)
-Glenn Jackson Bridge (I-205)
NYC
-Brooklyn Bridge
-Manhattan Bridge
Minneapolis
-Washington Ave (CH 122)

One of these days I'll bike over the Clackamas River Bridge (OR 99E) and 7th St Bridge (OR 43), but I'm not touching the Abernathy Bridge (I-205). The Boone Bridge (I-5), though, is a possibility.

english si

Ironbridge
all the London bridges inside the inner ring road that you can walk (Lambeth, Westminster, Hungerford (the original)/Golden Jubilee (both the newer ones), Waterloo, Blackfriars, Millennium, Southwark and London Bridges)

njroadhorse

- Fort Duquesne Bridge, 6th Street Bridge, 7th Street Bridge, 9th Street Bridge, Smithfield Street Bridge (all Pittsburgh)
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

shadyjay

While I didn't walk across the entire length, I was on hand for the May 1993 grand opening of the Baldwin Bridge on the Connecticut Turnpike (I-95) in Old Saybrook CT.  The festivities were held in the northbound (direction: eastbound) lanes on the Old Saybrook side. 

Tom

I've walked across the Mackinac Bridge in 2009 and 2010.  I believe I'll make this an annual event, and I'm thinking of walking across the International Bridge (between Sault, Michigan and Sault, Canada) next June.
http://www.historicbridges.org/other/mackinac/index.htm :coffee:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.