News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Tropical cyclone tracking thread

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, May 07, 2015, 11:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

At the time Mexico wasn't that keen to ask for name retirements, otherwise Paul from the Eastern Pacific list would have been gone since 1982. They only have taken a step ahead in the last few years.

Wow. We are already in the C storm (Cristobal) and it's only the second day of the official Atlantic hurricane season! This storm is actually a regeneration of the first Eastern Pacific one (second depression there), Amanda. Had it crossed without dissipating, it would be still Amanda. Meanwhile, the Northern Indian ocean is having the inaugural storm of their new, very long list of 169 names which, at an average of only 4-5 named systems per year, is expected to last about 40 years.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

CoreySamson

Yep I'm watching Cristobal. Looks like a greater chance of hitting the upper Texas coast than it did yesterday. Could even possibly be a low level hurricane by the time it landfalls. Not too worried for myself though, doesn't look like it will stall out over the US; but Central America most assuredly will have a flooding problem.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

route56

Somehow, a low in the mid-latitudes managed to get organized enough to become Tropical Storm Dolly.

And CNGL's grief about subtropical storm naming will have to wait for another day
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

CNGL-Leudimin

The other two times we got four storms before the end of June, July saw no storms. Will that repeat again?
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Alex

Quote from: route56 on June 23, 2020, 04:40:14 PM
Somehow, a low in the mid-latitudes managed to get organized enough to become Tropical Storm Dolly.

And CNGL's grief about subtropical storm naming will have to wait for another day

Yet another in the growing list of "placeholder" tropical storms.
I.e. designated just to advance the names list.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on June 23, 2020, 05:08:12 PM
The other two times we got four storms before the end of June, July saw no storms. Will that repeat again?

Also, the other two times one of the four storms reached hurricane status (Chris in 2012, that freaky hurricane Alex in January (!!!) 2016), something which has failed to occur this year.

route56

As Dolly becomes post-tropical, a new cyclone forms... this one in the open Pacific.

UPDATE! 6/26: The cyclone in question has become Tropical Storm Boris. No sign of Natasha. :bigass:

R.P.K.

bing101

CNGL-Leudimin

Hanna is the eighth tropical storm this year and we are yet to end July! BTW, it isn't a hurricane yet, there was one year that didn't produce one until the I storm: 2011. The last time the A storm reached hurricane force was in 2016 with freaky hurricane Alex in... January.

route56

As of 7AM 7/25, Hanna has officially become the first Hurricane of the 2020 Atlantic storm season.

Meanwhile, Douglas is forecast to remain a tropical storm through Thursday, where it's expected to be near the Dateline. We may have the rare system touching all three North Pacific areas of responsivity.

R.P.K.

ozarkman417

A tropical storm with a name I cannot pronounce (Isaias) may impact the east Florida coast, and then go up to the Carolinas.

hotdogPi

Quote from: ozarkman417 on July 30, 2020, 03:25:58 PM
A tropical storm with a name I cannot pronounce (Isaias) may impact the east Florida coast, and then go up to the Carolinas.

Looks like it's going to hit Cape Cod, too. Where I live, it should be mostly fine.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

US71

isaias is now a hurricane and is currently predicted to hit the Bahamas as a Cat 2.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

1995hoo

Easy way to remember it is to recall the rapper who was considered the leader of rap group N.W.A.: The storm's name is pronounced sort of like "Eazy-E-Us," except the first vowel is not quite a long "e" sound (close enough for remembering how to say it, though). Every time I hear the weathermen here say it on the news it makes me think of Eazy-E.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

74/171FAN

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 03, 2020, 08:15:07 AM

Easy way to remember it is to recall the rapper who was considered the leader of rap group N.W.A.: The storm's name is pronounced sort of like "Eazy-E-Us," except the first vowel is not quite a long "e" sound (close enough for remembering how to say it, though). Every time I hear the weathermen here say it on the news it makes me think of Eazy-E.

I thought Isaias was pronounced similar to Isaiah, but I guess I was wrong.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 03, 2020, 11:54:35 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 03, 2020, 08:15:07 AM

I thought Isaias was pronounced similar to Isaiah, but I guess I was wrong.

I would have sounded it out like "Isaiah's" (maybe with a softer "s" sound at the end than I'd use for the possessive) had it not been for the fact that every news report I've heard mentioning the storm pronounces it more like what I said in my earlier comment.

US 89

It's easier if you read it as "Isaías" .

ghYHZ

A warning was just issued for New Brunswick, southern/eastern Quebec and into the Gaspe for Tuesday night and Wednesday.

https://weather.gc.ca/hurricane/statements_e.html

(and Environment Canada's pronunciation is:  ees-ah-EE-ahs  :) )

CNGL-Leudimin

Isaias being a Spanish name, it's pretty straightforward for me :sombrero:. This name replaced Ike after 2008, however it went (barely) unused in 2014 as that year was the exact opposite of the current one, ending with Hanna.

empirestate

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 03, 2020, 05:15:28 PM
Isaias being a Spanish name, it's pretty straightforward for me :sombrero:. This name replaced Ike after 2008, however it went (barely) unused in 2014 as that year was the exact opposite of the current one, ending with Hanna.

I think this is why Americans keep getting hung up with this pronunciation. Because English has extremely irregular pronunciation, and we therefore can't depend on an unknown native word to sound as it's spelled, we assume that's true when faced with foreign words, too. However, most European languages have very predictable pronunciation rules, Spanish in particular. Since that language is widely used in this country, just being aware that it's a Spanish name should lead to no trouble in pronouncing it.

1995hoo

Quote from: empirestate on August 03, 2020, 07:23:52 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 03, 2020, 05:15:28 PM

I think this is why Americans keep getting hung up with this pronunciation. Because English has extremely irregular pronunciation, and we therefore can't depend on an unknown native word to sound as it's spelled, we assume that's true when faced with foreign words, too. However, most European languages have very predictable pronunciation rules, Spanish in particular. Since that language is widely used in this country, just being aware that it's a Spanish name should lead to no trouble in pronouncing it.

You're making the invalid assumption that most Americans have some sense for how to pronounce Spanish words!

roadman

Perhaps the National Weather Service should add "Easy to Pronounce" to their criteria for choosing storm names.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

CoreySamson

The Gulf of Mexico looks like it's getting a double punch next week. TD 13 looks to be heading for the Florida Keys, while TD 14 seems to be heading towards me in Texas. Hopefully this storm isn't a carbon copy of Harvey.

Ironically, we're coming up on the 3 year anniversary of that event.

My Route Log
My Clinches

CoreySamson

Ironically, I was preparing for Marco to hit Houston and Laura to hit NOLA, but now the tracks have completely reversed. Now I've gotta think about Laura.

It's funny how my "hurricane forecast"  has changed. First, we were only supposed to get Marco, then we were in the cone for both yesterday morning, then neither yesterday evening, and now just Laura this afternoon.

Somehow, nobody's remarked about how weird this is; two potential hurricane landfalls less than 300 miles apart in 48 hours. The last time there were even 2 hurricanes in the Gulf was back in 1959. The last time there were 2 Gulf hurricane landfalls in 48 hours was 1933.

My Route Log
My Clinches

US71

Quote from: roadman on August 04, 2020, 10:09:44 PM
Perhaps the National Weather Service should add "Easy to Pronounce" to their criteria for choosing storm names.

Maybe they used them all up/retired them all? ;)

https://www.thoughtco.com/retired-hurricane-names-1435348
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.