Interstate 169 Kentucky (The third)

Started by Interstate 69 Fan, May 07, 2017, 05:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 16, 2017, 07:38:40 AM
Quote from: Captain Jack on November 14, 2017, 03:10:24 PM
IMO, 62 and 66 should never change hands. SR 62 should be Morgan Ave and then Diamond Ave west to New Harmony, and SR 66 should remain on the Lloyd to the Illinois state line.

I realize that originally, there was not a continuous route through Evansville like the Lloyd, but it still never made sense for them to criss-cross going west out of Evansville.

that's actually a better idea, never thought of that one.

According to a 1958 Indiana map, the criss-cross arrangement of IN 62 & 66 had been in place back then -- and likely since the inception of the In state high network.  US 460 came in from IL into Evansville over 66, followed a convoluted route through downtown, and left on 62, which was the same almost-all-the-way-across-the-state route it is today (which is probably why INDOT never elected to renumber any part of the alignment).  According to the '58 map, US 460 was co-signed with its corresponding state highway (both 62 & 66) rather than simply replacing it, which left IN 62 intact.     

Captain Jack

US 460 was extended across Indiana and Illinois around 1949-50.  Yes, since the inception of the Indiana routes, 62 went to Mt. Vernon and 66 went to New Harmony.

Something that always reminds me how strange this is, is the mileage sign as you leave Mt Vernon towards Evansville. It has mileage to Evansville and Boonville. Even as a road geek, it always seems strange to see. In my mind, it should be Evansville, and either Newburgh or Rockport.  Outside of us geeks, I doubt you would find too many people who would tell you that Boonville and Mt. Vernon are on the same highway.

adventurernumber1

I think that this should much rather have been an even I-x69 instead, such as I-469, since it ends at interstates on both ends, but I believe it is unlikely this will change.

Nevertheless, I am very excited that there is a new interstate designation that will help facilitate traffic flow from I-69 in Indiana and Kentucky down into this part of the South.

Also, I absolutely love this I-69/I-169 interchange, and how I-69 itself just flows through with minimal interaction with the rest of the interchange (the part with the loop ramps), due to the fact that I-69, in the interchange, switches from the Pennyrile Parkway to the Western Kentucky Parkway. I always find it very interesting to see interchanges like this, that are configured this way because there is a very pronounced, special traffic movement in the interchange to force it to be designed that way - in this case, through Interstate 69 traffic. I am also assuming that this configuration of the interchange is very new (has only been around since the era of Extended I-69 has begun), and that before, this interchange between these parkways was just a normal, full cloverleaf interchange. So because of that, it is fascinating to see history, and how things can be changed by a large, significant decision. In this case, the extension of an interstate has shaped the way this interchange now looks. Now that I-69 passes through here, and switches from one parkway to the other, the interchange has a very new feel to it, and it has inevitably been changed to accommodate for this new interstate, and the traffic patterns that come with it. Also, there are some other examples of similar, very cool interchanges like this. Examples include the I-95/I-4 interchange, I-95/I-20 interchange, and to a less but still somewhat similar extent, the I-95/I-40 interchange (it is also interesting how all three of these examples are along Interstate 95!).
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GreenLanternCorps

seicer

From April 23: "Additional photos of the "Future I-169 Spur Corridor"  sign unveiling event at Hopkinsville this morning."

And: "This is the first step in converting the Pennyrile Parkway to Interstate Spur status from I-24 extending northward through Christian County and southern Hopkins County to the I-69/WK Parkway/Pennyrile Parkway Interchange near Nortonville."

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mvak36

It didn't take long for somebody to put I-169 shields on Google maps.  :no:
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: hbelkins on April 25, 2018, 10:46:52 AM
Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on April 25, 2018, 07:09:45 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 24, 2018, 11:12:42 AM

https://www.facebook.com/KYTCDistrict2/posts/1979426708795966

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1979416152130355.1073741922.111931842212138&type=3

For those of us who don't have Facebook accounts, what is the significance of these links?

Those are public Facebook pages. You don't have to be a Facebook member to view them.

Link worked on my phone.  Apparently Facebook is blocked at my work...

Stephane Dumas

I dust-off this thread by mentionning this video of future I-169 posted on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjw5Yzaik7c

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.