News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 23 Portsmouth, OH bypass

Started by mgk920, January 06, 2018, 11:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

While checking out the discussion on the potential OH 32 upgrades in the eastern part of the Cincinnati metro area, I noticed in my 2017 RMcN that there it shows a US 23 bypass freeway under construction around the Portsmouth, OH area, running from Lucasville, OH around to the Wheelersburg, OH area.  A check of Google Maps aerial images shows a cleared ROW for this in the Minford, OH area.

This one caught me off guard.  Is there any more info and/or discussion on it?

Mike

dfilpus

hbelkins

Lots of construction going on there. I drove up there last summer to see (since it's not very far from where I live) and hope to have a small road meet centered on this project later this year.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mgk920

Very interesting.

A couple of quick thoughts -

- I can't even imagine the tunneling that this highway would be using if it were not being built in North America.

- Am I not the only one who is a bit disappointed in that the north end is that trumpet interchange and not something a bit more direct and high-speed?

Mike

sparker

Quote from: mgk920 on January 06, 2018, 10:42:16 PM
Very interesting.

A couple of quick thoughts -

- I can't even imagine the tunneling that this highway would be using if it were not being built in North America.

- Am I not the only one who is a bit disappointed in that the north end is that trumpet interchange and not something a bit more direct and high-speed?

Mike

There's the distinct possibility that the original plans for this bypass date back to the time that I-73 and 74 were planned to traverse this portion of Ohio; most plans I've heard of took I-74 west from the Lucasville area (adjacent to the north end of the current construction) to OH 32 near Peebles; the north 73/74 split occurred near this point as well.  While the Interstate concept here is all but dead & buried, I'd think that ODOT would at least have a northerly freeway extension paralleling US 23 in mind that doesn't utilize the current alignment -- even if only in long-range terms.  If that is indeed the case, then the trumpet termination of the bypass is a "stopgap" configuration.  From what I've read, this is the single most expensive road project in Ohio over the last several years; it'll likely be way down the line before any connecting facilities are budgeted.     

Buck87

Quote from: mgk920 on January 06, 2018, 10:42:16 PM

I think it's fine, serves as a nice transition from a 70 mph freeway to a 60 mph divided highway with at grade intersections.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: sparker on January 07, 2018, 01:52:40 AM
While the Interstate concept here is all but dead & buried, I'd think that ODOT would at least have a northerly freeway extension paralleling US 23 in mind that doesn't utilize the current alignment -- even if only in long-range terms.  If that is indeed the case, then the trumpet termination of the bypass is a "stopgap" configuration.     

US 23 is reasonably upgradeable on location between Lucasville and Piketon. 
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.