Numbered routes you cannot legally follow

Started by NoGoodNamesAvailable, August 31, 2018, 06:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoGoodNamesAvailable

While messing around on google maps, I noticed that since there is a left turn prohibition from E Fordham Rd onto Webster Av in the Bronx, you cannot legally follow the route of US-1 South. The left onto Washington Av followed by the right onto E 189 St is signed as TO SOUTH US-1.

One way to deal with this situation would be to reassign the detour around the block as the official routing for the southbound direction and leave the northbound routing be like with a one-way pair, but since route numbers are basically irrelevant in NYC, I don't think the discontinuity really concerned anyone.

How common is this situation? I'm interested mainly in routes that are not physically discontinuous, but where following the route in at least one direction would be illegal for a passenger car. Obviously roads that are closed temporarily or seasonally don't count.

NE2

Bike Route 20 turns left at Masonic and McAllister in Frisco:

(until recently there was no median, so it was possible but not legal to turn left)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mapmikey

US 33/VA 33 EB movement cannot legally (or physically for that matter) occur leaving US 250 Broad St in Richmond VA.

Max Rockatansky

I'm a little off the theme the OP was going for but you can't follow CA 39 and CA 173 in parts of California due to closures due to eroding roadway or rock slides.  In the case of the 173 I believe that the closed part was actually abandoned by the state and they might not have a right-of-way claim on it anymore. 

mrose

Does US 34 / 36 count in Rocky Mtn National Park?

You can't go through on either route unless you pay for admission.

webny99

SD 87 (Needles Highway) requires admission, too, but I don't think that's what the OP is looking for.

In before someone mentions every toll road in existence :paranoid:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mrose on September 01, 2018, 12:40:19 AM
Does US 34 / 36 count in Rocky Mtn National Park?

You can't go through on either route unless you pay for admission.

Winter closures maybe?  You in theory could try to wedge a snow cat or snow mobile "illegally"  past any gates.  I'm fairly certain in some National Parks it's actually legal to use a snow capable conveyance on closed seasonal roads. 

hbelkins

Didn't US 29 in DC once fit this subject? Wasn't there a place where you could not make the required turn to stay on the route?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 89

Don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly sure US 85 is now discontinuous in Colorado. If I remember this right, it ends at the bridge over I-25 in Stratmoor, where there is no interchange.

There are a whole bunch of numbered state routes in Utah that are off-limits to the public, but none are signed to my knowledge. For example, SR 298 and 299 are driver's license test courses, and SR 320 is the roads in the Emergency Vehicle Operations Range at Camp Williams.

jp the roadgeek

There are several CT state routes that become divided roadways where one side is the signed route and the other is an SR.  CT 10 South in Hamden, CT 34 west in New Haven and US 6 west on the Danbury/Bethel line at I-84 come to mind. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

pianocello

Quote from: hbelkins on September 01, 2018, 02:05:55 PM
Didn't US 29 in DC once fit this subject? Wasn't there a place where you could not make the required turn to stay on the route?

I know I ran into this problem trying to clinch US 1 in DC a couple years ago. I thought the SB routing turned left from Constitution to 14th St NW, but that turn is prohibited. It doesn't help that DDOT is terrible at signing US highways.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

abefroman329

Maybe during rush hour?

1995hoo

I believe it's illegal to go left from Rhode Island Avenue NW onto 7 Street NW, or at least it used to be. The Google Maps app on my iPad shows US-29 continuing on Rhode Island for another block and then going left on Sixth, left again on Florida Avenue, and finally right onto Seventh.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jp the roadgeek

MA 1A going to and from the Callahan/Sumner tunnels.  MA 1A runs as a silent concurrency with US 1 (which passes the exit in a concurrency with I-93), but the only connections are from 93 south to 1A north and 1A South to 93 north.  To follow them going north, you would have to make a hairpin turn from 93 and go the wrong way up the ram coming from the Sumner Tunnel.  Going south, you would have to go the wrong way on the ramp from 93 south, then hook a hairpin from the ramp to 93.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

bzakharin

NJ 47 Northbound has a gap at the northern terminus of NJ 347. The portion signed "TO 47", which logically is the northern tip of NJ 347 is internally an unsigned route, so both roads have a gap there. Southbound both are continuous, however.

TheHighwayMan3561

If I recall you cannot turn left to stay on US 90 eastbound at US 61's southern terminus in New Orleans.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

froggie

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 02, 2018, 05:33:24 PM

I believe it's illegal to go left from Rhode Island Avenue NW onto 7 Street NW, or at least it used to be. The Google Maps app on my iPad shows US-29 continuing on Rhode Island for another block and then going left on Sixth, left again on Florida Avenue, and finally right onto Seventh.

It's also signed as such.

The US 1 turn entails turning onto 15th from Constitution, but I don't believe that one is signed.

bugo

Quote from: US 89 on September 01, 2018, 03:43:45 PM
There are a whole bunch of numbered state routes in Utah that are off-limits to the public, but none are signed to my knowledge. For example, SR 298 and 299 are driver's license test courses, and SR 320 is the roads in the Emergency Vehicle Operations Range at Camp Williams.

There are some unsigned highways in Arkansas that are either not open to the public or not open to motor vehicle traffic. There are state highways behind prison walls and there are some on college campuses that are open to pedestrians only.

Nexus 5X

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: US 89 on September 01, 2018, 03:43:45 PM
Don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly sure US 85 is now discontinuous in Colorado. If I remember this right, it ends at the bridge over I-25 in Stratmoor, where there is no interchange.
This is true (you beat me to it). Technically, it's U.S. 85-87, though 87 isn't marked. This happened when the state entered into agreements with El Paso County and the city of Colorado Springs to exchange jurisdictions. The state gave up jurisdiction over 85-87 north of the I-25 overpass to the city, while continuing to maintain the road south through Security and Fountain. Unfortunately, there is no interchange here, so the only evidence is an END STATE MAINTENANCE sign. There are also two locations along U.S. 24 in northeast Colorado where the route simply ends and the road continues as a county road. I don't think these locations were approved by AASHTO, but the Colorado Springs example was.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

ErmineNotyours

Looking through Oregon's Digital Video Log, I noticed it covers part of old US 30 that is now open only as a pedestrian and bicycle trail.  This seems to indicate it's still part of the state system, but you can't drive on it.

jeffandnicole

NJ 324 is a closed road for much of its distance. Being the sign is regulatory in nature, you're not supposed to be on it.

https://goo.gl/maps/JxgJMEnVnk52

mrsman

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 02, 2018, 05:33:24 PM

It would seem more straightforward to go from RI, right on Q, left on 7th.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.