Longest Interstate You Haven't Been On

Started by adwerkema, September 15, 2018, 11:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JKRhodes

sbeaver44

cl94

For me, it's I-25, though I have passed it on I-70 and I-90.

Longest Interstate I haven't intersected is I-8.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

adventurernumber1

When considering the longest interstate that I have not intersected, for me that would have to be I-5. I have been to the San Francisco area, in December 2017/January 2018, but we flew in, and we never went far enough east to cross over (or under) Interstate 5 in person on the road. I-5 is the 12th longest interstate, which is three places down from I-35 (the 9th longest interstate) - the longest interstate that I personally have not been on.

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

slorydn1

Unless I am forced to consider that very short 0.9 mile* sliver of concurrency with I-40 in Oklahoma City I would have to say I-35 is the longest I haven't truly been on.

*Measured from the merge point of I-35 NB into I-40 EB to the gore of the 35/40 split. With I-40 being the left split if I had stayed in the left 2 lanes the entire distance would I ever have been on I-35 to begin with?

If I am forced to consider that then my answer would be I-15.

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

DJ Particle

adwerkema

Quote from: cl94 on September 24, 2018, 09:11:36 PM
Longest Interstate I haven't intersected is I-8.

Going off of longest not intersected, mine would be Western I-84. While driving through downtown Portland, I missed it by a mile. Took I-405 through the city instead of I-5.

Excluding that close miss, mine would also be I-8.

hotdogPi

For me, the longest not intersected is I-44, although the western I-84 is debatable. I crossed a lot of the longer ones from my cross-country Amtrak trip in 2011.

Despite having much less mileage on US routes, the longest I haven't been on is US 60, which is the 5th longest (I-80, which I haven't been on, is the 2nd longest Interstate).

The longest US route I haven't crossed is US 82, unless you count flying over airspace.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

mvak36

The longest ones where I haven't driven any part of are I-8 and I-87 (NY).
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

kphoger

I-95 (1926 miles)

It's possible I was on it as a young child on family vacation, but I have no specific memory of it.  If I were to remove even the slightest possibility of something like that (an Interstate that passes through an area I've never been to), I'd have to drop it all the way down to I-84 (770 miles).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Charles2

Never been on I-15, although I crossed a junction with it in Las Vegas once.  Runner-up is I-5, then I-84 (west).

abefroman329

Is it possible to take I-35 (E or W) from MSP to downtown Minneapolis? If so, I might have to revise my earlier response.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 02, 2018, 11:35:27 AM
Is it possible to take I-35 (E or W) from MSP to downtown Minneapolis? If so, I might have to revise my earlier response.

Likelihood depends on which terminal.  But you can still count I-35 if you consider 35W and 35E to be separate highways from 35.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on October 02, 2018, 01:09:18 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on October 02, 2018, 11:35:27 AM

Likelihood depends on which terminal.  But you can still count I-35 if you consider 35W and 35E to be separate highways from 35.
Either way, I will have been on a portion of I-35 after the aforementioned trip to TX next month.

US 81

I-84 (either).

Not as bad as I'd feared.

Mark68

I-94

I've been to Billings, but on I-90.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

KEK Inc.

Take the road less traveled.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ilpt4u

Quote from: ilpt4u on September 16, 2018, 12:39:07 AM
Hmmm...I'm not really sure

Of Primaries, I have traveled on parts of I-90, 80, 70, 40, 20, 10; 95, 85, 75, 65, 55, 35, 25, 15, 5...Only I-30 and I-45 not covered there, and neither are super long...This might take some thought
I think my answer has to be Western I-84. Portland to (outside) Salt Lake City is a bit of distance, and have never traveled to that part of the country, other than changing planes in SLC a couple times. I have not been on the Eastern I-84 either, but it does not look quite as long

If I-29/I-49 was a single designated route, and a completed route in the case on I-49, that would certainly be my answer

Strangely, my answer is almost I-44 -- but I have been on it for a few miles in and around STL. But never have taken it SW of the STL area, and never utilized it in other areas when traveling

mrsman

For the routes over 800 miles:

Longest interstates never been on as a passenger or a driver: I-35, I-25

Longest interstates never been on as a driver, but definitely been on as a passenger: I-40, I-75

Longest interstates where I was definitely on as a passenger, but unsure if I've ever driven: I-55 [definitely rode it to Midway Airport, not sure if I drove it when I drove to Chicago on a trip 14 years ago.  Not been near other parts of the highway.]

Longest interstates where I was definitely not the driver but unsure if I was a passenger:  I-20 [been to Atlanta as only a passenger, but don't recall if we took this road for any reason], 

As I have lived in SoCal, NorCal, NYC, and now MD I have driven I-80, I-10, I-70, I-95, I-15,and I-5 numerous times.

I do recall driving the other long interstates at least once.

GreenLanternCorps

I-20  Had to double check length, but I've at one point or another driven or been driven on at least a portion of all longer interstates.

Added I-10 this summer, after passing under it several times going to and from Destin, Florida on SR 85 (Exit 56) I clinched I-110 and drove on I-10 while going from Navarre Beach to Mobile and back to see the USS Alabama.

Mark68

For me, it's I-94. I've been through the western terminus on I-90 but have not been on 94 itself.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

dlsterner

Thought that it might be I-94 or I-35, but it turns out I've been on a very short piece of both.

That makes my current answer ... I-5.

SD Mapman

I-81. Yes, I haven't been to the East Coast much.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.