Regional Boards > Central States

Webbers Falls Bridge

<< < (2/3) > >>

Scott5114:

--- Quote from: austrini on May 23, 2009, 05:21:37 PM ---Right before I went over it I was on the ramp from US 69 NB to I-40 EB and I thought I had a flat tire because of the noise and motion the pavement was giving my car... my friend made us pull over to look. Then I said "ah, Oklahoma"
--- End quote ---

That has totally happened to me once. I was taking a friend of mine to church camp one summer and she was quite concerned there was something wrong with the car as we were headed south on I-35. Instead of stopping I decided to cut over to US 177 and see if that fixed the problem. Yep.

--- Quote from: austrini on May 23, 2009, 05:21:37 PM ---I'm not totally dissing OK Roads...

--- End quote ---

I am!

bugo:

--- Quote from: Scott5114 on May 23, 2009, 12:53:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: austrini on May 23, 2009, 09:53:16 AM ---Did they completely rebuild the bridge after it got knocked down? Did they just rebuild a portion of it?
--- End quote ---

I believe that they merely rebuilt the portion that got knocked into the river. The rest of the structure was sound. The big priority here was to get I-40 open again as soon as possible, as the detour onto OK-100 and US-64 was severely impacting businesses in the towns of Gore and Webbers Falls–the roads were so busy with I-40 traffic nobody wanted to get out and shop there.

--- End quote ---

You are correct.  You can tell which spans were rebuilt if you look closely.  They are towards the western end of the bridge.

And yes, that bridge has a very uneven surface.

Hellfighter:
Looks like what happens in Michigan!  :-P

TheHighwayMan394:
Was this the bridge that got partially knocked down by a barge?

Alex:
Yes, the bridge was struck on May 26, 2002 by two barges. 14 died in the accident.

The bridge was reopened by July 29. Read more on the I-40 Interstate Guide.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version