Regional Boards > Central States

Oklahoma

<< < (18/30) > >>

Bobby5280:

--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster ---I doubt OK 344 will get an Interstate designation, same with the Kickapoo Turnpike Extension.
--- End quote ---

The very idea they named the Gilcrease Expressway "OK-344" obviously implied an eventual I-344 designation. Otherwise why not give it some other 3xx number? When completed, the Gilcrease Expressway will meet Interstate standards. It would be stupid to have an I-344 route in OKC and SH-344 route in Tulsa (especially after the SH-344 route was already established).

As for the Kickapoo Turnpike, the I-335 idea seems to show the intent on getting the Kickapoo extension built down to Purcell and I-35. I think it would be silly to map an I-335 designation on both the Kickapoo Turnpike and East-West Connector to Newcastle. The end result would be more of an I-x44 loop route than anything related to I-35. Both ends of the signed route would be on I-44 and only intersect I-35 once.

--- Quote from: bugo ---Why is everybody so hell-bent on giving OKC an I-x44 designation.
--- End quote ---

Not everyone is hell bent. I mentioned possibly giving the Kilpatrick Turnpike an I-x40 designation. It would probably make more sense to have the original North half of the Kilpatrick named something like "I-440" since it does function as city core bypass route for I-44 traffic destined for I-40.

--- Quote from: bugo ---The US 412 Interstate will be I-42
--- End quote ---

Reminds me of an earlier joke I made along those lines. I wouldn't be surprised if "I-42" turned out to be the designation.

Plutonic Panda:
Weird how I-240 will end at the I-344/SH-152 junction and then become I-344 if continuing on the freeway. Makes me think(hope) they’ll go through with converting SH-152 through Mustang to a freeway one day regardless of the ROW needed which they can obtain and clear. One can dream.

swake:

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 11, 2023, 07:20:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster ---I doubt OK 344 will get an Interstate designation, same with the Kickapoo Turnpike Extension.
--- End quote ---

The very idea they named the Gilcrease Expressway "OK-344" obviously implied an eventual I-344 designation. Otherwise why not give it some other 3xx number? When completed, the Gilcrease Expressway will meet Interstate standards. It would be stupid to have an I-344 route in OKC and SH-344 route in Tulsa (especially after the SH-344 route was already established).

As for the Kickapoo Turnpike, the I-335 idea seems to show the intent on getting the Kickapoo extension built down to Purcell and I-35. I think it would be silly to map an I-335 designation on both the Kickapoo Turnpike and East-West Connector to Newcastle. The end result would be more of an I-x44 loop route than anything related to I-35. Both ends of the signed route would be on I-44 and only intersect I-35 once.

--- Quote from: bugo ---Why is everybody so hell-bent on giving OKC an I-x44 designation.
--- End quote ---

Not everyone is hell bent. I mentioned possibly giving the Kilpatrick Turnpike an I-x40 designation. It would probably make more sense to have the original North half of the Kilpatrick named something like "I-440" since it does function as city core bypass route for I-44 traffic destined for I-40.

--- Quote from: bugo ---The US 412 Interstate will be I-42
--- End quote ---

Reminds me of an earlier joke I made along those lines. I wouldn't be surprised if "I-42" turned out to be the designation.

--- End quote ---

Don't forget the Gilcrease, the eastern completed section, is OK-11. When the Gilcrease is completed something is going to have to be renumbered.

Strider:
And what's with OKC's Interstate plan? I-335 for Kickapoo Turnpike? I-344 for John Kilpatrick Turnpike? I-240 only extends a little bit to end at I-344 and SH-152? What are they smoking?

Strider:

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 10, 2023, 04:20:30 PM ---This idea sounds a lot better than signing I-240 over both the Kilpatrick and Kickapoo turnpikes.

Wouldn't a I-344 designation make more sense for the Gilcrease Expressway (since that's already signed as OK-344)? I think the Kilpatrick should get a different I-x44 number, like an even-numbered designation such as "I-644" or "I-844". Or they could assign a different I-x40 number.

Normally I'd cry foul about the "I-335" odd numbered route idea for the Kickapoo Turnpike since both ends are at two Interstate routes. But I-335 in Kansas does the same thing already. So does I-355 in Chicagoland.

That I-335 designation for the Kickapoo Turnpike also clearly states the ultimate objective of the turnpike extending down to I-35 near Purcell. IMHO they also need to plan for extending the Kickapoo Turnpike North past I-44 and Luther up and over to I-35 near Guthrie. That could make something like an "I-835" designation more logical.

--- End quote ---

The only difference is that I-335 in Kansas started at I-35. I-355 originally started at I-55 before the extension south. OK's I-335 plan only goes from I-44 to I-40. Makes no sense. They could have just sign it as a state route (if it isn't already) at least until it connects to I-35 I'm assuming from the southern extension?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version