News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why doesn't Massachusetts sign well for Vermont?

Started by interstatefan990, February 19, 2023, 10:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

interstatefan990

I've kind of noticed that the Massachusetts Turnpike and other roads in MA are somewhat lacking in signage pointing traffic to Vermont or Brattleboro. Even where it meets I-91, there is still almost no signage indicated that the route goes into Vermont or any of its control cities. If Albany can be a signed destination, then why can't a whole state be one?

Places where there is no mention of Vermont:

Route 10/US 5 (less than 25 miles from the border!)
Here
US-20 and US-7 (Signs for Williamstown, which is close to the border)
Here
MA-43 and US 7 (Same deal as US-20 and US-7)
Here
Here

The only examples I could find were minor surface roads very close to the border and a few places on the MA 2 surface-road-turned-freeway.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Rothman

Doesn't make any sense to sign Vermont on the Mass Pike anywhere, which is mainly for east-west traffic by far.

Williamstown is a huge college town and destination of its own. Pownal, VT is a control town from there, as well as others headed north from MA 2.

Bernardston vs. Brattleboro is no big deal, either.

Again, control city debates make me reach for my revolver.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Maybe cause VT has no large cities noteworthy of bring signed.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

interstatefan990

Quote from: Rothman on February 19, 2023, 11:20:13 PM
Doesn't make any sense to sign Vermont on the Mass Pike anywhere, which is mainly for east-west traffic by far.

Well, duh, not on the entire route, but at least signing it where it meets up with I-91 would make more sense.

Quote from: roadman65 on February 19, 2023, 11:29:06 PM
Maybe cause VT has no large cities noteworthy of bring signed.

It could be argued that Burlington could be signed, but I'd much rather the signs just say Vermont as their control since it dosen't have individual noteworthy cities like you said. Then again, you don't see full state names by themselves on guide signs like that, at least in this region.

roadman65

New Jersey is used by NYCDOT and NYSDOT often.

Sheryl Crowe

interstatefan990

Quote from: roadman65 on February 20, 2023, 03:13:55 AM
New Jersey is used by NYCDOT and NYSDOT often.

I was referring to more of the Massachusetts/Vermont region further north, but yes, you're correct.

roadman65

Well at one time Massachusetts was the SB control city from VT 9  for I-91 in Brattleboro.  True Vermont is hardly used while New York will use the nearest border community in Vermont as a destination on roads leading out of state.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Roadgeekteen

Williamstown is a huge college town and destination of its own. Pownal, VT is a control town from there, as well as others headed north from MA 2.

Brattleboro is 6 times bigger and much more notable than Bernardston. Pownal should be Bennignton IMO.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 20, 2023, 04:22:36 AM

Brattleboro is 6 times bigger and much more notable than Bernardston. Pownal should be Bennignton IMO.
*reaches for his revolver*
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

Brattleboro is used on I-91 NB mileage signs about a mile after crossing the CT border

https://goo.gl/maps/Ct33Rqh27pNgXBRV6
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

interstatefan990

So is I-91 the only route in MA that signs sufficiently for Vermont/Brattleboro (besides where it meets I-90)? Why is it not signed in the Route 10/US-5 example but it is signed all the way near the CT border? I find it odd that Brattleboro is signed at the fork after the MA-2 onramp and not before on US-5.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: interstatefan990 on February 20, 2023, 05:30:33 PM
So is I-91 the only route in MA that signs sufficiently for Vermont/Brattleboro (besides where it meets I-90)? Why is it not signed in the Route 10/US-5 example but it is signed all the way near the CT border? I find it odd that Brattleboro is signed at the fork after the MA-2 onramp and not before on US-5.
I'm starting to think that that one sign you found is a one off thing.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Rothman on February 20, 2023, 11:30:16 AM

And then again, you could always aim for bigger fish and skip Vermont altogether https://goo.gl/maps/6rRkYwHHLxVsVvYw5
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 20, 2023, 08:41:23 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 20, 2023, 11:30:16 AM

And then again, you could always aim for bigger fish and skip Vermont altogether https://goo.gl/maps/6rRkYwHHLxVsVvYw5
That's cool but

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Williamstown,+MA/Montreal,+QC,+Canada/@42.7950877,-74.3846039,7z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x89e0b111fa562f95:0x444616296f5399df!2m2!1d-73.2036898!2d42.7120196!1m5!1m1!1s0x4cc91a541c64b70d:0x654e3138211fefef!2m2!1d-73.5673919!2d45.5018869!3e0

Ted$8roadFan

The part of MA closest to Vermont is arguably the most remote. Two of the three major highways, MA-2 and I-90/Mass Pike are east west routes that don't cross into Vermont and have other destinations in the Massachusetts (such as Northampton, Greenfield, Lee, Shelburne Falls, and Williamstown). All that said, a mention of Brattleboro/Bennington would be OK. Also, most of the more populated parts of MA heading to Vermont do so through New Hampshire (specifically I-93 to I-89).

MATraveler128

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on February 20, 2023, 08:55:49 PM
The part of MA closest to Vermont is arguably the most remote. Two of the three major highways, MA-2 and I-90/Mass Pike are east west routes that don't cross into Vermont and have other destinations in the Massachusetts (such as Northampton, Greenfield, and Williamstown). All that said, a mention of Brattleboro/Bennington would be OK. Most of the more populated parts of MA heading to Vermont do so through New Hampshire (I-93 to I-89).

Of course that doesn't stop them from signing Montreal on US 7 in Williamstown. But regardless, Bennington should really be used instead of Pownal.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

interstatefan990

I mean, I think I'm correct to assume that a good chunk of traffic on the MA Turnpike is long-distance traffic, going to Boston, Albany, maybe NYC, and, well, Vermont. It is I-90 after all.

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 20, 2023, 09:07:33 PM
The part of MA closest to Vermont is arguably the most remote. Two of the three major highways, MA-2 and I-90/Mass Pike are east west routes that don't cross into Vermont and have other destinations in the Massachusetts (such as Northampton, Greenfield, and Williamstown). All that said, a mention of Brattleboro/Bennington would be OK. Most of the more populated parts of MA heading to Vermont do so through New Hampshire (I-93 to I-89).

Of course that doesn't stop them from signing Montreal on US 7 in Williamstown. But regardless, Bennington should really be used instead of Pownal.

Exactly. This is why this signing scheme confuses me. And honestly, if they're going to sign Montreal, Canada of all places, they might as well use Burlington instead of Pownal. Or maybe they just wanted to put a Canada (Quebec) sign somewhere for good measure.

Roadgeekteen

The problem is that's not the fastest way from Williamstown to Montreal.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: interstatefan990 on February 20, 2023, 09:48:55 PM
I mean, I think I'm correct to assume that a good chunk of traffic on the MA Turnpike is long-distance traffic, going to Boston, Albany, maybe NYC, and, well, Vermont. It is I-90 after all.

Exactly. This is why this signing scheme confuses me. And honestly, if they're going to sign Montreal, Canada of all places, they might as well use Burlington instead of Pownal. Or maybe they just wanted to put a Canada (Quebec) sign somewhere for good measure.

I agree that Bennington should be signed in Williamstown (no offense to Pownal). It makes me wonder if the MassDOT regional district office has a specific grudge against Vermont.

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 20, 2023, 11:47:43 PM

The horror.

roadman65

Hey I lived in NJ where rarely our towns got a mention outside our state. Even Trenton on I-95 got axed for New York.  So this is spilled milk worrying about  Vermont being ignored In Massachusetts.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on February 21, 2023, 06:59:38 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 20, 2023, 11:47:43 PM

The horror.
The whole point of control cities is to be useful to motorists. Signing the slower route to get to a place defeats their whole purpose. And Vermont actually poorly signs Montreal as well, so the signs kinda useless except as a fun novelty.

shadyjay

Brattleboro is used as a control city on I-91 North onramp signage all the way south to Ingleside/Exit 12.  As far as on-highway pullthrus, those have pretty much gone away 2 sign replacements ago, except on the Springfield viaduct and I-391 split.  Northampton used to get the love, but that was replaced with Holyoke in Springfield itself, and Greenfield.  At least there's the advance distance/mileage signs (the one at <MP 1 north of the CT border being one) and others which come after selected exits, and those often list the next big town along with 2 major points (Springfield/Hartford SB and Greenfield/Brattleboro NB). 

Yes, the ramp signage from the MassPike to the I-91/US 5 connector leaves much to be desired.  There are so many destinations listed for that exit on the MassPike, but when you get to that jct, there is hardly any signage pointing you in the right direction.  Hartford should at least be on the I-91 sign, instead of Holyoke (that can go on US 5).  I swear years ago it was on the primary sign for then-Exit 4.  I know it gets mention on the I-291 exit's primary, but that's kinda out of the way... not as much as NY City being listed eastbound for the I-84 exit.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: shadyjay on February 21, 2023, 04:32:29 PM
Brattleboro is used as a control city on I-91 North onramp signage all the way south to Ingleside/Exit 12.  As far as on-highway pullthrus, those have pretty much gone away 2 sign replacements ago, except on the Springfield viaduct and I-391 split.  Northampton used to get the love, but that was replaced with Holyoke in Springfield itself, and Greenfield.  At least there's the advance distance/mileage signs (the one at <MP 1 north of the CT border being one) and others which come after selected exits, and those often list the next big town along with 2 major points (Springfield/Hartford SB and Greenfield/Brattleboro NB). 

Yes, the ramp signage from the MassPike to the I-91/US 5 connector leaves much to be desired.  There are so many destinations listed for that exit on the MassPike, but when you get to that jct, there is hardly any signage pointing you in the right direction.  Hartford should at least be on the I-91 sign, instead of Holyoke (that can go on US 5).  I swear years ago it was on the primary sign for then-Exit 4.  I know it gets mention on the I-291 exit's primary, but that's kinda out of the way... not as much as NY City being listed eastbound for the I-84 exit.
In my opinion, Northampton should be used instead of Greenfield. Northampton is significantly bigger than Greenfield.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.