Meta > Suggestions and Questions

Changing birth date

<< < (3/4) > >>

Roadgeekteen:

--- Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2023, 12:01:41 PM ---
--- Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 31, 2023, 03:11:37 AM ---If you want to change your birth date, you're going to need a DeLorean.

--- End quote ---

... but it requires a nuclear reaction to generate the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity you'll need.

--- End quote ---
Just steal some plutonium from the Lybians

kphoger:
I mean, who knows if they've got cotton underwear in the future. I'm allergic to all synthetics.

odditude:

--- Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2023, 12:01:41 PM ---
--- Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 31, 2023, 03:11:37 AM ---If you want to change your birth date, you're going to need a DeLorean.

--- End quote ---

... but it requires a nuclear reaction to generate the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity you'll need.

--- End quote ---

"jiggawatts"

it still irks me that they couldn't be bothered to make sure they were pronouncing "giga" correctly, how many years later..?

OH GOD I'M GETTING OLD

1995hoo:
^^^^

Either pronunciation of "giga-" is correct. Which is more common has varied over the years. The hard "g" became more common in the 1990s once PCs actually started to approach the 1 GB memory or storage capacity (consider in the 1980s how 640 KB was a lot of RAM, and in 1985 the 1.44 MB floppy disk didn’t exist yet). There is a line of thought that the hard "g" pronunciation became more common because of concern that "jigabyte" sounds too much like the racially offensive term "jigaboo."

(Edited to fix a typo. I meant jigabyte and typed jigawatt because I was thinking about the movie.)

Rothman:

--- Quote from: 1995hoo on May 06, 2023, 08:47:55 AM ---^^^^

Either pronunciation of "giga-" is correct.

--- End quote ---

Language is stupid.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version