Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic

Cities that are a lot bigger or smaller than you thought they were

<< < (29/30) > >>

Scott5114:
I was recently surprised to find out just how many large cities there are along I-95 in Florida, many of which I had never heard of.

roadman65:
Boone, NC is bigger than I thought.

SkyPesos:
I learned recently that Lexington KY’s city limits population is larger than Cincinnati. Would’ve not guessed that at all from how much urban Cincinnati feels in every way, and the metro area population for each shows.

amroad17:

--- Quote from: SkyPesos on August 29, 2023, 01:14:52 AM ---I learned recently that Lexington KY’s city limits population is larger than Cincinnati. Would’ve not guessed that at all from how much urban Cincinnati feels in every way, and the metro area population for each shows.

--- End quote ---
Lexington’s city limits encompass all of Fayette County.  The city limits area is around 285 square miles verses Cincinnati’s 79.5 square miles, giving a population density of 1137/sq mi verses 3970/sq mi, with the totals (using 2020 census figures) of 322,570 residents for Lexington and 309,317 residents for Cincinnati.  However, it is surprising that Lexington’s population has surpassed Cincinnati’s considering that in 2000, Lexington had ~260,000 residents and Cincinnati had ~331,000 residents.

Most of the increase in Lexington’s population seems centered around New Circle Road and Man O’ War Blvd between US 68 and I-75 south of the downtown area. 

wriddle082:

--- Quote from: amroad17 on August 29, 2023, 02:09:33 AM ---
--- Quote from: SkyPesos on August 29, 2023, 01:14:52 AM ---I learned recently that Lexington KY’s city limits population is larger than Cincinnati. Would’ve not guessed that at all from how much urban Cincinnati feels in every way, and the metro area population for each shows.

--- End quote ---
Lexington’s city limits encompass all of Fayette County.  The city limits area is around 285 square miles verses Cincinnati’s 79.5 square miles, giving a population density of 1137/sq mi verses 3970/sq mi, with the totals (using 2020 census figures) of 322,570 residents for Lexington and 309,317 residents for Cincinnati.  However, it is surprising that Lexington’s population has surpassed Cincinnati’s considering that in 2000, Lexington had ~260,000 residents and Cincinnati had ~331,000 residents.

Most of the increase in Lexington’s population seems centered around New Circle Road and Man O’ War Blvd between US 68 and I-75 south of the downtown area. 

--- End quote ---

Lexington/Fayette County has two development zones: the Urban Services District and the Rural Services District.  It’s like the equivalent of city limits, but mostly for city services.  Within the USD there are street lights, sewers, and the bulk of the commercial and residential development.  Within the RSD, there are the horse farms, many of which are historic and preserved.  The end result has been denser and smarter development within the USD, since it’s a very big deal to try to expand the boundaries of it.

There is still room for more development near I-75 and Man O’ War and the areas that amroad17 described, but they won’t last long.  Jessamine County is starting to see most of the neighboring county growth due to it being the closest to Downtown Lexington, with Scott, Clark, and Madison Counties also seeing some growth though they are flung farther out.  Woodford County has a lot of the preservationist zoning that the Lexington/Fayette RSD has so it’s growth has been limited.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version