News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crown Victoria

Quote from: MASTERNC on January 02, 2022, 02:07:42 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 02, 2022, 05:20:01 AM
PennDOT should help them a little bit by forcing License Plates to be double checked during inspection to see it they've been 'altered' and fail the car till it's replaced.  I've seen TONS of plates locally that have serious damage, including a few where about 95% of the reflective coating/paint is completely gone on the plate.  Most of the time, there's no way that isn't intentional, especially when the car looks completely brand new!

This is key.  The standard replacement plates are free - all you need is a signature from a police officer or mechanic. Unfortunately, you have to pay the full fee for a new specialty plate or vanity plate, which makes little sense.

It's a bit surprising this isn't done already. I mean, it would be the easiest part of the inspection! In addition, there's been talk (especially by the PTC) of requiring front plates, as generally front plates can't be covered up like rear plates can be (bike racks and such).

As far as paying to replace specialty and vanity plates, it might not make sense to us, but it makes cents to PennDOT!

vdeane

When PA replaces the standard plates for free, are those replacements with the same number or with a new number?  Because if it's with a new number, they can just grab whatever's on hand.  If it's the same number, then I have no explanation other than "because they want money", as a new plate would need to be custom fabricated regardless.

Meanwhile in NY, all replacements require paying the full fee, even if the plate is unreadable to the point where you risk a ticket (there's an exception for plates suffering from a specific type of sheeting failure caused by a defect in the manufacturing process by 3M, but mine didn't qualify even though they peeled and faded early).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MASTERNC

Quote from: vdeane on January 02, 2022, 04:30:48 PM
When PA replaces the standard plates for free, are those replacements with the same number or with a new number?  Because if it's with a new number, they can just grab whatever's on hand.  If it's the same number, then I have no explanation other than "because they want money", as a new plate would need to be custom fabricated regardless.

Meanwhile in NY, all replacements require paying the full fee, even if the plate is unreadable to the point where you risk a ticket (there's an exception for plates suffering from a specific type of sheeting failure caused by a defect in the manufacturing process by 3M, but mine didn't qualify even though they peeled and faded early).

It's a new number.  It's the same with the specialty plates - not only do you have to pay the full fee but you also can't keep your existing number unless you pay an extra $100 for a vanity plate (strangely, you can replicate your existing number as a vanity plate).

MASTERNC

Looks like the Turnpike is going to open bids for cashless tolling gantries on the NE Extension between the Lehigh Tunnel and just south of Lansdale.  No other tolling projects are listed yet, so this would not include the mainline Turnpike in the Philly area yet.

MASTERNC

Quote from: MASTERNC on January 11, 2022, 07:51:28 PM
Looks like the Turnpike is going to open bids for cashless tolling gantries on the NE Extension between the Lehigh Tunnel and just south of Lansdale.  No other tolling projects are listed yet, so this would not include the mainline Turnpike in the Philly area yet.

Now there is a bid advertisement for gantries on the Mainline turnpike between Reading (US 222) and Mid-County (but not east of there, strangely)

storm2k

Any idea why they've left some of the manual toll lanes open at the Mid-County interchange when they already have ORT lanes built there? Seems like they should just close access to the manual lanes and let all the traffic flow thru the existing ORT lanes and be done with it.

Flyer78

They were all closed for a period of time when the ORT lanes were re-striped to one lane from I-276, and the other for southbound I-476 traffic... I'm guessing it caused too much of a backup, as the striping was reverted (and signage updated again). The old entry lanes are also still in use, guessing again for excess throughput.

MASTERNC

Quote from: Flyer78 on February 28, 2022, 08:36:44 AM
They were all closed for a period of time when the ORT lanes were re-striped to one lane from I-276, and the other for southbound I-476 traffic... I'm guessing it caused too much of a backup, as the striping was reverted (and signage updated again). The old entry lanes are also still in use, guessing again for excess throughput.

I think this was the issue.  The old setup had four lanes going into the tolls, so cutting that in half was not good for traffic flow.  I would hope the ORT project would demolish the inside toll booths and expand the gantries to cover 3-4 lanes.

Crown Victoria

Quote from: MASTERNC on January 25, 2022, 12:21:27 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on January 11, 2022, 07:51:28 PM

Now there is a bid advertisement for gantries on the Mainline turnpike between Reading (US 222) and Mid-County (but not east of there, strangely)

There is a bid advertised now for Norristown-Bensalem. Anything east of there is effectively already ORT (the Neshaminy toll booths will need to be eliminated, but there are ORT lanes there already).

With this, there are projects underway for ORT gantries from Reading eastward on the mainline, and from Mid-County to Mahoning Valley on the NE Extension.

MASTERNC

Looks like bids are out for the next reconstruction project between MM 126 and 130 (east of the Allegheny Tunnel).  I know they already put in drain boxes to the right of the EB roadway (likely for a new alignment).

ARMOURERERIC

When do you think work will commenced.  I was just last night reading the 2022 capital plan.  Noted the no substantial work  between  Irwin and Oakmont.  But a ramp up of 276/95 phase 2 which seems to be budgeted in 2 parts, also see the ramp up of the Allegheny tunnel and Scranton beltway.  But I could not find any line items for the Mon Fayette work that is supposed to start in June.

MASTERNC

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 16, 2022, 03:25:59 PM
When do you think work will commenced.  I was just last night reading the 2022 capital plan.  Noted the no substantial work  between  Irwin and Oakmont.  But a ramp up of 276/95 phase 2 which seems to be budgeted in 2 parts, also see the ramp up of the Allegheny tunnel and Scranton beltway.  But I could not find any line items for the Mon Fayette work that is supposed to start in June.

The project website says construction will start this year, though the segment cited is longer than the bid details.

BTW, that Capital Plan is already outdated.  Note they do not have the MP 324-326 widening that began recently (the plan shows barely any expenditures).

Crown Victoria

Quote from: MASTERNC on March 16, 2022, 03:28:26 PM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 16, 2022, 03:25:59 PM

The project website says construction will start this year, though the segment cited is longer than the bid details.

BTW, that Capital Plan is already outdated.  Note they do not have the MP 324-326 widening that began recently (the plan shows barely any expenditures).

MP 130-134 will follow the MP 126-130 project. It's all listed as one in the Capital Plan. This also means that the church steps will disappear forever later this year.

Also, I noticed that the Beaver Valley Bridge replacement is posted for "constructability review". Such also occurred for the MP 126-130 project a few months back which leads me to believe that the Beaver River Bridge will go to bid later this year.

The Mon-Fayette and Southern Beltway projects are not listed in the Capital Plan as they are funded from portions of gas tax and registration fee revenues dedicated to the PTC for the purpose of building those roads and not from toll revenue which funds the Capital Plan.

ARMOURERERIC

Is there another bid listing site that would show Mon Fayette bid activity?

Crown Victoria

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 17, 2022, 09:12:06 AM
Is there another bid listing site that would show Mon Fayette bid activity?

No, bids for Mon-Fayette and Southern Beltway projects will still show up on the PTC's bid portal.

If you're looking for something like the Capital Plan for the Mon-Fayette Expressway and Southern Beltway, I'm not sure where that is, if it's on the PTC's site at all. We're pretty much reliant on what's listed on the project pages listed under Design & Construction on the PTC's site.

ARMOURERERIC

My curiosity is in that the first contract for the Month Fayette is to start work in July and I wanted to see if it was even out for bidding yet.

Crown Victoria

The PTC site has been updated to show that the Beaver River Bridge replacement and the reconstruction of MP 312-316 will go to construction next year.

Beaver River Bridge: https://www.paturnpike.com/traveling/construction/site/mileposts-12-14-total-reconstruction
MP 312-316: https://www.paturnpike.com/traveling/construction/site/milepost-312-316-reconstruction

Also, it's possible that I-95 Interchange Project Section A (I-276 widening around the Bensalem interchange) could go to construction in 2023 as well. The page isn't very clear on this though.

https://www.paturnpike.com/traveling/construction/site/i-95-interchange-project/design-construction-details/section-a

Bitmapped

Quote from: Crown Victoria on April 01, 2022, 12:17:48 PM
The PTC site has been updated to show that the Beaver River Bridge replacement and the reconstruction of MP 312-316 will go to construction next year.

Beaver River Bridge: https://www.paturnpike.com/traveling/construction/site/mileposts-12-14-total-reconstruction

The project includes reconfiguring the I-76/PA 18 interchange into a folded diamond. I'm not sure if this was already planned as this is in the toll-free section of the Turnpike or if it's a result of the conversion to AET.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Bitmapped on April 01, 2022, 07:02:06 PM

The project includes reconfiguring the I-76/PA 18 interchange into a folded diamond. I'm not sure if this was already planned as this is in the toll-free section of the Turnpike or if it's a result of the conversion to AET.

It sounds like a future I-76/PA 18 graph connection in Travel Mapping is coming.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

davewiecking

Quote from: Bitmapped on April 01, 2022, 07:02:06 PM

A continuation of the "widen to 3 lanes each way" long term project, picking up east of the interchange with I-376. The already-completed part of this phase has seen plural RR and roadway bridges over the Turnpike replaced. The trumpet bridge over PA-18 was in such bad shape it was replaced with a temporary one 8 years ago, so it seems the PA-18 interchange reconfiguration has been in the works for quite some time.

davewiecking

Also, it's possible that I-95 Interchange Project Section A (I-276 widening around the Bensalem interchange) could go to construction in 2023 as well. The page isn't very clear on this though.

https://www.paturnpike.com/traveling/construction/site/i-95-interchange-project/design-construction-details/section-a

"Construction is anticipated in 2023.ng from West of Street Road to Richlieu Road " says the page's not very clear "sentence" that certainly seems to be an incomplete edit.

ARMOURERERIC

Once the Beaver River bridge is complete, I think you will see an effort to leap frog Beaver to Cranberry over the Monroeville/Plum section, I hope not.

Crown Victoria

Quote from: davewiecking on April 01, 2022, 08:08:56 PM

"Construction is anticipated in 2023.ng from West of Street Road to Richlieu Road " says the page's not very clear "sentence" that certainly seems to be an incomplete edit.

I was referring to the top of the page having "Construction planned when funding is identified", as stated for Sections C, D30, D40, and E on those respective pages, as well as that last sentence down at the bottom. A better edit would say "Construction anticipated in 2023" up at the top of the page, with further details below.

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on April 01, 2022, 08:23:10 PM
Once the Beaver River bridge is complete, I think you will see an effort to leap frog Beaver to Cranberry over the Monroeville/Plum section, I hope not.

I would certainly hope not as well. The Allegheny Valley to Irwin stretch has more traffic, and therefore generates more toll revenue, especially considering Beaver Valley to Cranberry is a free ride.

Crown Victoria

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Crown Victoria on April 07, 2022, 11:00:48 AM
The PTC's Statewide Total Reconstruction Initiative map has been updated.

https://files.paturnpike.com/production/docs/default-source/resources/traveling-resources/total-recon-map-march-2022.pdf?sfvrsn=d9cf9a14_11

Re#5 -  I guess I have to take their word for it, but I don't see how that 2 miles (including the PA-8 interchange) was totally reconstructed.   It seems to have retained the over/underpasses, is the same narrow footprint, and I don't recall seeing any major construction around that time.   I can easily be wrong, but it sounds like a resurfacing exaggerated to "full reconstruction".
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.