News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyace

While this is probably a longshot...

Republican backbench move to abolish Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission

It's an interesting proposition similar to what has already been done in Massachusetts.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Snappyjack

...and what should be done in New York.

njroadhorse

Quote from: Snappyjack on December 10, 2009, 02:41:28 AM
...and what should be done in New York.
and what will never happen in Jersey
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

vdeane

Personally I think the Thruway Authority does a good job.  The portions I travel are at least as good as NYSDOT maintained roads (and usually better).  Plus you can look up current conditions on the road, great for winter traveling.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mightyace

Quote from: deanej on December 10, 2009, 07:45:15 PM
Personally I think the Thruway Authority does a good job.

That used to be the case in PA, back in the 70s and 80s the "free" interstates were rough and the Turnpike was smooth.  But, according to my brother who traveled more of the PA Turnpike lately, the opposite is now true.  (in his opinion and on the segments he's traveled.)

It's the alleged corruption and patronage at the PTC that is another reason for my opposition to tolling I-80.  At the present time, I want PennDOT to maintain it.  If you'd asked me back in 1980, I'd have said something different.

PAHighways

Quote from: mightyace on December 10, 2009, 07:58:02 PMThat used to be the case in PA, back in the 70s and 80s the "free" interstates were rough and the Turnpike was smooth.  But, according to my brother who traveled more of the PA Turnpike lately, the opposite is now true.  (in his opinion and on the segments he's traveled.)

It's the alleged corruption and patronage at the PTC that is another reason for my opposition to tolling I-80.  At the present time, I want PennDOT to maintain it.  If you'd asked me back in 1980, I'd have said something different.

There are places such as between Allegheny Valley and Irwin that are rough, but those will be rebuilt soon enough.  The parts that have been rebuilt from the ground up like near Donegal and Somerset are smooth.

Something else that has changed is PennDOT doesn't have a crushing debt load from Interstate construction financing now that they had back in the 1980s.  It seems that the tables have been turned in that respect as well.

froggie

You can thank Act 44 for that in no small part.  Nevermind the more recent legislation that has PTC subsidizing PennDOT these days...

Dougtone

Quote from: deanej on December 10, 2009, 07:45:15 PM
Personally I think the Thruway Authority does a good job.  The portions I travel are at least as good as NYSDOT maintained roads (and usually better).  Plus you can look up current conditions on the road, great for winter traveling.

The NYS Thruway Authority is considered to be a public benefit corporation, which means that they have some independence from the New York State government in how they are operated, while keeping state employees on its payroll.  This allows the Thruway Authority to be on a little better financial footing when the State has money troubles.  Therefore, I think it may be safe to see the Thruway Authority keep its status quo.

I'm not sure if the PTC is also considered to be a public benefit corporation.

mightyace

mightyace

More fun and games with those "Paragons of Virtue" at the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission.

Former finance manager Bailets accuses Penn Pike chiefs of corruption, waste in lawsuit

mightyace

US Rep citing TOLLROADSnews asks state AG to investigate potential criminal offenses at Penn Pike

QuoteUS congressman Glenn `GT' Thompson, (Republican, Howard, 5th District PA) is asking Pennsylvania Attorney General Tom Corbett to investigate claims in former financial manager Ralph Bailets' lawsuit against the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission (PTC). His letter to the state Attorney General quotes a report of the lawsuit in TOLLROADSnews and includes a printout of our report as an attachment, together with a copy of the complaint and other legal references.

But, as nearly half of I-80's progress through Pennsylvania runs through the his district.  He may simply be grinding an axe.

PAHighways

mightyace

Penn Pike ex-chairman Rubin sang to Feds, more charges & arrests expected

However:
QuoteThe charges against Rubin have no legal bearing on the Turnpike's application to the Feds to toll I-80 but they add to the political price they'd pay for a Yes decision.

SignBridge

Slightly off topic, but I agree that the NY Thruway Authority runs a good operation. Especially their radio dispatching system which is excellent. For any of you emergency dispatchers or scanner buffs out there, the frequencies are 453.425 and 453.525.

I'm less familiar with the PTC,  but in general these toll-road agencies seem to me to pretty much have their act together, especially the NJ Turnpike authority. I'm talking about day-to-day operations, not politics and corruption.

PAHighways

Quote from: SignBridge on March 14, 2010, 05:24:12 PM
Slightly off topic, but I agree that the NY Thruway Authority runs a good operation. Especially their radio dispatching system which is excellent. For any of you emergency dispatchers or scanner buffs out there, the frequencies are 453.425 and 453.525.

The Turnpike Commission is still using VHF even though they are one of the participating agencies in the STARNet OpenSky trunked system which PennDOT has switched over to already.

Quote from: SignBridge on March 14, 2010, 05:24:12 PMI'm less familiar with the PTC,  but in general these toll-road agencies seem to me to pretty much have their act together, especially the NJ Turnpike authority. I'm talking about day-to-day operations, not politics and corruption.

It's always the ones in the trenches that take the hits from what the higher ups do or fail to do.  I know people at the PTC, but it's the ones like Rubin and Fumo who give them a bad name.

mightyace

Well, those in the trenches better hunker down again...

Penn Pike ex-chair Rubin to repay Senate $150k, house arrest in deal with USDOJ

Of course, if a toll collector took say even $1,000, he'd be in the slammer.

PAHighways

sammack

The idea of a direct connection was killed thanks in part to Bud Shuster.
[/quote]

Out of curiosity, what exactly did he have to do with it?

Did he enshrine it into federal law?

mc78andrew

Quote from: sammack on March 21, 2010, 10:39:29 PM

The idea of a direct connection was killed thanks in part to Bud Shuster.

Out of curiosity, what exactly did he have to do with it?

Did he enshrine it into federal law?
[/quote]

As Chairman of the House Transportation Committee, you can pretty much do what you want.  He wanted Breezewood PA to look like Las Vegas only with gas stations, motels and fast food joints to provide jobs in what is a rather poor part of the country.  Imagine what the us interstate system would look like if all congressmen had that kind of power.

sammack

Quote from: mc78andrew on March 24, 2010, 09:39:49 PM

As Chairman of the House Transportation Committee, you can pretty much do what you want.  He wanted Breezewood PA to look like Las Vegas only with gas stations, motels and fast food joints to provide jobs in what is a rather poor part of the country.  Imagine what the us interstate system would look like if all congressmen had that kind of power.

I am very familiar with his power, see I-99, as well as the one that replaced him from AK.

But I really don't think he had anything  to do with Breezewood or I-70's dead end at a traffic signal at US 30.

It is my understanding from various communications from former PENN DOT Transportation Secretary's, as well as the former District  9 Engineer, that it is the locals, as well as Bedford Co that have prohibited and will continue to prohibit any changes.

Feel free to contact  Penndot Secy Alan Biehler  or the Dist 9 Executive  Thomas A. Prestash,
tprestash@state.pa.us  for more info

fixed quote mismatch

agentsteel53

Quote from: sammack on March 25, 2010, 07:40:55 PM
I-70's dead end at a traffic signal at US 30.

the question then is why dignify that disaster with I-70 signage?  Just take the 70 signs down, or slap TO banners over them.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

PAHighways

Quote from: sammack on March 21, 2010, 10:39:29 PMOut of curiosity, what exactly did he have to do with it?

I discuss this situation on my Turnpike page, and the story I gleaned from Dan Cupper's The Pennsylvania Turnpike:  A History.

About a decade ago, a state senator from Pittsburgh was involved in an accident at the 70 and 30 intersection and began pushing PennDOT to build the missing ramps.  The business owners went to their US Representative claiming if the two ramps were built, Breezewood will become a ghost town and Shuster got the project killed.  Cupper does not go into details on what exactly happened to kill the idea, but the consolation prize was an upgraded 30 along with new signals with better timing.

PAHighways

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 25, 2010, 07:55:39 PMthe question then is why dignify that disaster with I-70 signage?  Just take the 70 signs down, or slap TO banners over them.

There are no I-70 trailblazers anywhere on 30 between the two limited-access sections.

vdeane

It's criminal.  I'm sick and tired of crybaby companies that want to maintain the status quo to maintain their bottom line.

Notice to crybaby companies: we live in a free market system (well, we're supposed to).  You adapt to your environment.  If you can't adapt, YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DIE.  Live with it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.