News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Massachusetts paddle signs

Started by SidS1045, October 30, 2023, 02:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidS1045

Recently the signs on North Avenue/Walkers Brook Drive at I-95 in Wakefield and Reading were replaced.  Where paddle signs would have been used before, they were replaced with ground-mounted signs constructed with what looks like a design similar to BGS's on the mainline interstates, although much smaller, on two uprights.  Has MassDOT finally retired the paddle sign design, or was this a one-off?
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

SectorZ

They've been put up on Woburn St in Lowell where it junctions with I-495, so those signs have spread to some other areas I am aware of.

Alps

bob7374

Here's an example of the new type of guide signage seen along Derby Street in Hingham:

cockroachking

I passed a similar one approaching the new roundabout with US-7 on MA-23 EB/MA-41 NB in Great Barrington this summer:

Alps

Quote from: bob7374 on October 30, 2023, 11:29:20 PM
Here's an example of the new type of guide signage seen along Derby Street in Hingham:

I would call those LGS not BGS. But all of that is just language we use here.

storm2k

We need some sort of classification like Mini-BGS. Those look like full on extruded metal signs with metal supports, just smaller.

cockroachking

Quote from: storm2k on November 02, 2023, 08:30:26 PM
We need some sort of classification like Mini-BGS. Those look like full on extruded metal signs with metal supports, just smaller.
They are BGS's without the B, if you will.

PHLBOS

Quote from: SidS1045 on October 30, 2023, 02:50:52 PM
Has MassDOT finally retired the paddle sign design, or was this a one-off?
Based on what I've seen on recent visits; the paddle-style signs are still used for the ENTERING bookleaf panels as well as green panels where the sign message & lettering can still fit.

The change to the MUTCD standards that now require use of mixed-case lettering on smaller guide signs was likely the reasoning why MassDOT introduced the new style panels & posts.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Mergingtraffic

Still an all text paddle sign from 1993 in Salem, MA.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

mariethefoxy

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on November 21, 2023, 07:39:55 PM

oh wow, they were using that older style with the mileages in the sign well into the 90s?

PHLBOS

Quote from: mariethefoxy on November 22, 2023, 07:18:00 AM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on November 21, 2023, 07:39:55 PM

oh wow, they were using that older style with the mileages in the sign well into the 90s?
Even more interesting was that the long-gone cut-corner predecessor signage for this area had the 114 westbound mileage listed as:
PEABODY 3
DANVERS 4
GPS does NOT equal GOD

RobbieL2415

The text-only paddle signs lasted well into the 00s on the Cape. I miss them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.