News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP Cook

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 24, 2021, 10:57:03 AM
Speaking of formats, where do you predict your state goes after its current sequence??

WV has an incredibly wasteful and arcane system. 

First sequence  - *L NNNN
Second sequence - *LL NNN
Third sequence - * NL NNN

In all cases * is the month of expiration, 1-9, O, N or D.  Wasteful because DMVs must keep 12 different standard plates on hand, and the possible number combinations are tiny contrasted to other systems.

The third sequence is about done.  The state said it was going to upgrade its software and go to a simply NNN LLL system, which would last forever in a state this small, but my guess is they do something stupid.

kphoger

Speaking of formats, where do you predict your state goes after its current sequence??

Oregon has a number of years before they exhaust the current 123-ABC format. They'd previously used ABC-123 so I'm thinking they'll go 1AB-C23 starting with 1AA-A01.

I don't think they have the population to do 7 digits.

I expect Kansas will go back to ABC-123 again.  By the time we run out of 123-ABC, I don't think there will be any of the older format still valid anymore.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

OCGuy81

Quote from: kphoger on March 24, 2021, 11:23:57 AM

Oregon has a number of years before they exhaust the current 123-ABC format. They'd previously used ABC-123 so I'm thinking they'll go 1AB-C23 starting with 1AA-A01.

I expect Kansas will go back to ABC-123 again.  By the time we run out of 123-ABC, I don't think there will be any of the older format still valid anymore.

That's a certain benefit to mandatory re-plates. You can recycle old sequences.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: jakeroot on March 23, 2021, 06:56:36 PM
Quote from: andrepoiy on March 23, 2021, 04:27:55 PM
I'm not a fan of serials that are alphanumeric mixes (like California's), and prefer when letters and numbers are separated (like Ontario's XXXX-000). I find it easier to read and remember, and making it easier to remember is useful in accidents or whatnot.

British Columbia' new plates are a total jumble (I have the same problem as kphoger) and could learn from Ontario.

Before...

after...

Not really a jumble though - it's AB1 23C. That's easier to remember than Canadian postal codes (A1B 2C3)

kphoger

Quote from: TXtoNJ on March 24, 2021, 11:28:13 AM

Quote from: jakeroot on March 23, 2021, 06:56:36 PM

Quote from: andrepoiy on March 23, 2021, 04:27:55 PM
I'm not a fan of serials that are alphanumeric mixes (like California's), and prefer when letters and numbers are separated (like Ontario's XXXX-000). I find it easier to read and remember, and making it easier to remember is useful in accidents or whatnot.

British Columbia' new plates are a total jumble (I have the same problem as kphoger) and could learn from Ontario.

Before...

after...

Not really a jumble though - it's AB1 23C. That's easier to remember than Canadian postal codes (A1B 2C3)

Like with Missouri, though, you have to know that's a zero and not a letter O.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kalvado

Quote from: SP Cook on March 24, 2021, 11:18:17 AM

In all cases * is the month of expiration, 1-9, O, N or D.  Wasteful because DMVs must keep 12 different standard plates on hand, and the possible number combinations are tiny contrasted to other systems.

The third sequence is about done.  The state said it was going to upgrade its software and go to a simply NNN LLL system, which would last forever in a state this small, but my guess is they do something stupid.
*L NNNN  alone has about 2 million combinations, which is about VW population, and Second sequence - *LL NNN is about another 4 million. A bit strange that they run out.
NNN LLL will be about 8 million combinations and may last less than 3 other combinations combined.

kphoger

Quote from: kalvado on March 24, 2021, 11:46:31 AM

*L NNNN  alone has about 2 million combinations, which is about VW population, and Second sequence - *LL NNN is about another 4 million. A bit strange that they run out.
NNN LLL will be about 8 million combinations and may last less than 3 other combinations combined.

I don't know all the ins and outs of what West Virginia allows, but...

1.  Not considering letter combinations that are disallowed due to profanity

2.  Assuming no I, O, or Q at all

3.  Assuming no leading zero

NNN-LLL only has a slight advantage–one which would be further reduced (but only slightly) if combinations like SEX, POO, and KKK are disallowed.
Male pronouns, please.

OCGuy81

Quote from: kphoger on March 24, 2021, 12:13:41 PM

NNN-LLL only has a slight advantage–one which would be further reduced (but only slightly) if combinations like SEX, POO, and KKK are disallowed.

West Virginia seems like a place that might not offer 666 either....which I was sooooo happy to get on my newest car! 😂😈

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on March 24, 2021, 12:13:41 PM

All that for less than 2 million population. Has to be something we're missing!

kphoger

Quote from: kalvado on March 24, 2021, 12:24:34 PM

Well, the previous series are no longer available for new registrations–but the serial numbers are still in valid use.  So, every time someone registers a vehicle, a number gets used up.

In comparison, Kansas switched to NNN-LLL in 2007, and we're already about halfway through the alphabet.  And Kansas uses all 26 letters and 10 numerals.  We have a population of less than 3 million.
Male pronouns, please.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on March 24, 2021, 12:33:20 PM

Well, the previous series are no longer available for new registrations–but the serial numbers are still in valid use.  So, every time someone registers a vehicle, a number gets used up.

In comparison, Kansas switched to NNN-LLL in 2007, and we're already about halfway through the alphabet.  And Kansas uses all 26 letters and 10 numerals.  We have a population of less than 3 million.
I wonder what is the average lifetime of registration is. We had this discussion before in some way; if plate stays with the car, it lives for 10-15+ years; some other options may be more restrictive.
So far, we're talking about roughly 5 plate numbers consumed by each driver. Which seem to be enough for 50 years or so as a best case.
Current design was introduced in 1995, 25 years ago. Makes some sense.
I wouldn't call a numbering scheme which lasted "only" 25 years a waste, though. 

SD Mapman

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 24, 2021, 11:27:18 AM
Quote from: kphoger on March 24, 2021, 11:23:57 AM

That's a certain benefit to mandatory re-plates. You can recycle old sequences.
That's what South Dakota did; if you have county codes on the plates you almost have to do mandatory re-plateing to recycle the numbers for the big counties
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

SP Cook

As stated above, they have been using the same numbers since 1995.  While the population is only 2M, everytime a plate is issued, that number set is burned.  Plates stay with the person, not the car, and the only way to move the plate to another car is via a dealer or standing around at the DMV for a half day. 

andrepoiy

Ontario's current sequence is XXXX-000.

It started at AXXX-000 like 2 decades ago and for now we're in the CXXX-000 range. Recently exhausted BXXX like 3 years ago.

It's going to be a long while before we get to ZXXX-000.

Although FXXX happens to be reserved for French plates, GVXX reserved for Green Vehicle plates, and VEXX reserved for French Green Vehicle plates.

SP Cook

Quote from: andrepoiy on March 25, 2021, 10:35:21 AM

Although FXXX happens to be reserved for French plates, GVXX reserved for Green Vehicle plates, and VEXX reserved for French Green Vehicle plates.

What is a "French plate"?   Letters and numbers are just letters and numbers.  Do they translate "Yours to Discover" into French?

kphoger

Quote from: SP Cook on March 25, 2021, 11:06:44 AM

What is a "French plate"?   Letters and numbers are just letters and numbers.  Do they translate "Yours to Discover" into French?

Male pronouns, please.

OCGuy81

It started at AXXX-000 like 2 decades ago and for now we're in the CXXX-000 range. Recently exhausted BXXX like 3 years ago.

I thought I read something that given the population and available combinations, it'd be close to the end of the century before Ontario needs to worry about changing formats.

andrepoiy

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 25, 2021, 12:28:10 PM

I thought I read something that given the population and available combinations, it'd be close to the end of the century before Ontario needs to worry about changing formats.

Well, it took them nearly 2 decades to get from A to C, so probably. In addition, these are passenger vehicle plates, and pickup trucks are always issued commercial plates even if they're for personal use.

thenetwork

I always imagine someone working at the vehicle import booth inland of the Mexican border, and then a car driving up with a license plate of XB2-L0F–having to figure out whether that fifth character is a letter or a numeral.

It's a Canadian Postal Code, dammit!

Big John

^^ Canadian postal code is LNL NLN, but close.

6a

I'm wondering about Ohio's specialty plate system. We're at about 123ZK(*) from what I've seen. Will they flip it around, or go back to finish the 12AB34 series from the bicentennial plates?

frankenroad

Quote from: 6a on March 26, 2021, 03:04:57 AM
I'm wondering about Ohio's specialty plate system. We're at about 123ZK(*) from what I've seen. Will they flip it around, or go back to finish the 12AB34 series from the bicentennial plates?

My guess is when they hit 999ZZZ (which won't be for 4-5 years at the rate these plates are issued), they'll go to AAA001 or more likely AAA010, although they might just go to 010AAA.

The Bicentennial plates were AB12CD
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

6a

Quote from: frankenroad on March 26, 2021, 03:29:47 PM

The Bicentennial plates were AB12CD
Haha, you're right. I should know better, living in Ohio and all

zachary_amaryllis

it almost seems as if they're making it too difficult. there may be reasons for not doing this that are beyond my understanding, but...

what if we just put a largish 2d barcode on the plates, instead of letters and numbers? i mean, if they can read my plate with an ocr from a decent distance. the 2d barcode can have much more info in it (you could stick a GUID in it quite easily) and it would still be 'sparse' enough to be easily scanned.. not that i want to make 'their' job any easier, but it would nicely solve the problem.

or is that my medication talking?
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

oscar

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on March 28, 2021, 10:13:51 AM
what if we just put a largish 2d barcode on the plates, instead of letters and numbers? i mean, if they can read my plate with an ocr from a decent distance. the 2d barcode can have much more info in it (you could stick a GUID in it quite easily) and it would still be 'sparse' enough to be easily scanned.. not that i want to make 'their' job any easier, but it would nicely solve the problem.

Not just "them" who need your plate number. What if there's a silver or similar alert, asking for help from ordinary motorists to help authorities find people who need help?
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.