News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MATraveler128

I do agree that they look too similar to each other. The bottom left and top right designs are basically the same thing. I'd personally go for the top right design. But those flat plates look hideous. It was bad enough when New Jersey switched.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on March 19, 2022, 09:59:35 AM
I do agree that they look too similar to each other. The bottom left and top right designs are basically the same thing. I'd personally go for the top right design. But those flat plates look hideous. It was bad enough when New Jersey switched.

Not to mention the insider-y way the designs were picked and the fact that Rhode Islanders, like all New Englanders, take anything to do with license plates quite seriously.

machias

What happened to just having the state name, the serial numbers, and maybe a motto, in the state colors? Why all the graphics and swirls and different typography and the like? This applies to any state.

Now get off my lawn.

jakeroot

Quote from: machias on March 19, 2022, 02:58:06 PM
What happened to just having the state name, the serial numbers, and maybe a motto, in the state colors? Why all the graphics and swirls and different typography and the like? This applies to any state.

Now get off my lawn.

Because what passes for good taste these days is not what used to pass for good taste.

Many would claim that modern license plates are basically a billboard for that state, and that's true in some cases. But I think the real problem is that, if you showed a room full of people a regular blank plate, and then showed them one with a bunch of graphics on it, more than half would probably pick the plate that has all the stupid graphics on it.

Australia does it right: standard issue blank plates, pay more for graphics and other stuff.

Advancements in plate production technology probably haven't helped either, to be fair.

Ted$8roadFan

Not to mention that since the 1980s, many states and interest groups have decided that having their own specialty plate with graphics is a good moneymaker/advertisement (tho many causes are worthy) look at the # of specialty plates available in Virginia and Florida, for example. This has bled into the standard plates.

Flint1979

Quote from: jzn110 on January 05, 2022, 10:22:53 PM
Quote from: catch22 on December 19, 2021, 03:07:54 PM
I saw my first blue Michigan plate today.  The state name and slogan are printed and the plate number is embossed. It looks like the sticker is supposed to go in the bottom right given the small white imprint.

I was behind one in traffic the other night, and only the "Michigan" and "Water-Winter Wonderland" text was reflective. The serial number was not, and made the plate very difficult to read in the reflection of my headlights.

I assume that the serial numbers were supposed to be reflective but they screwed up in production, but if not, then I suspect they'll be fixing the design relatively soon like they did with the current Mackinac Bridge plate (switched the lettering from white to black and made the background lighter).
That one is a throwback plate from the 1960's so I'm not sure what they'll change on it. The color scheme will still be the same.

MATraveler128

I saw my first new Tennessee plate last Friday on MA 1A in Revere.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

formulanone

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on March 22, 2022, 10:53:48 AM
I saw my first new Tennessee plate last Friday on MA 1A in Revere.

Funny that I also hadn't noticed one until last week, and I'm thirty minutes from Tennessee's border!

fillup420

Now get off my lawn.

Thats why I have always liked NC plates, nice and minimalist

mgk920

Quote from: fillup420 on March 24, 2022, 05:26:27 PM

Now get off my lawn.

Thats why I have always liked NC plates, nice and minimalist

Ditto Wisconsin.

Mike

StogieGuy7

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 22, 2022, 09:53:05 AM
I saw my first blue Michigan plate today.  The state name and slogan are printed and the plate number is embossed. It looks like the sticker is supposed to go in the bottom right given the small white imprint.

I was behind one in traffic the other night, and only the "Michigan" and "Water-Winter Wonderland" text was reflective. The serial number was not, and made the plate very difficult to read in the reflection of my headlights.

I assume that the serial numbers were supposed to be reflective but they screwed up in production, but if not, then I suspect they'll be fixing the design relatively soon like they did with the current Mackinac Bridge plate (switched the lettering from white to black and made the background lighter).
That one is a throwback plate from the 1960's so I'm not sure what they'll change on it. The color scheme will still be the same.

That's a great looking plate and a fine example for others to follow. The throwback CA gold on black specialty plate is another. They look great.  The only thing about the MI plate I'd be unhappy about is that you only get one.

LateSleeper

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on March 28, 2022, 02:40:17 PM

That's a great looking plate and a fine example for others to follow. The throwback CA gold on black specialty plate is another. They look great.  The only thing about the MI plate I'd be unhappy about is that you only get one.

I'm fairly certain the Michigan throwback is considered fully reflective. The dark blue background is reflective sheeting, same as the black CA throwbacks or the black IL White Sox specialty plates. With all reflective sheeting plates, the embossed numbers are painted with non-reflective paint, so at night or if you shine a flashlight at one, the reflective background seems to light up as it reflects, and the numbers appear dark. So even dark plates like the MI and CA throwbacks will reflect back as almost white with dark numbers and with just a tint of the blue (or black). In other words they reflect back like inverted images.

The companies that make reflective sheeting (I'm probably preaching to the choir here) have developed dark reflective sheeting in the last 10-20 years that make those plate possible while still adhering to the state's reflection standards. Another clue is the sheeting includes the flat text at the top and bottom. If the plate were dipped in non-reflective paint, then the text would have to be stenciled to get that effect - they'd probably just emboss the state name and slogan in that case.

I'm planning to get a MI throwback sample from the Michigan Secretary of State (they're only $10 if they still have them) and I'll let y'all know if I'm wrong! I promise!

Scott5114

The way most embossed plates I've seen worked, the design (including numbers) is printed over top of white reflective sheeting in a translucent ink that allows some amount of light through to reflect off of the reflective sheeting. (This is also how multi-colored reflective signs, and most flat-printed plates, work.)

Here's an example of a 1990s Oklahoma plate lit only by camera flash to illustrate this.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jzn110

Quote from: LateSleeper on March 30, 2022, 05:50:43 PM

I'm fairly certain the Michigan throwback is considered fully reflective. The dark blue background is reflective sheeting, same as the black CA throwbacks or the black IL White Sox specialty plates. With all reflective sheeting plates, the embossed numbers are painted with non-reflective paint, so at night or if you shine a flashlight at one, the reflective background seems to light up as it reflects, and the numbers appear dark. So even dark plates like the MI and CA throwbacks will reflect back as almost white with dark numbers and with just a tint of the blue (or black). In other words they reflect back like inverted images.

The companies that make reflective sheeting (I'm probably preaching to the choir here) have developed dark reflective sheeting in the last 10-20 years that make those plate possible while still adhering to the state's reflection standards. Another clue is the sheeting includes the flat text at the top and bottom. If the plate were dipped in non-reflective paint, then the text would have to be stenciled to get that effect - they'd probably just emboss the state name and slogan in that case.

I'm planning to get a MI throwback sample from the Michigan Secretary of State (they're only $10 if they still have them) and I'll let y'all know if I'm wrong! I promise!
I'm pretty sure only the "Michigan" and "Water-Winter Wonderland" are reflective. The blue background and embossed serials are not, so you don't get the "negative reflection" like the original version of the Mackinac Bridge plates tried to do with the white serials.

jzn110

Now get off my lawn.

Why? Because technology was developed that made it possible. They did it because they could. Whether they should is a matter of subjective taste.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on March 19, 2022, 10:22:54 AM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on March 19, 2022, 09:59:35 AM

Not to mention the insider-y way the designs were picked and the fact that Rhode Islanders, like all New Englanders, take anything to do with license plates quite seriously.

The voting has ended in RI for the new designs. Not sure when the final design will be revealed.

jdbx

Quote from: LateSleeper on March 30, 2022, 05:50:43 PM

Can confirm.  I love the throwback CA plate and have it on all of my vehicles, and the entire plate is reflective.  Obviously not as reflective as a light-colored background, but the entire plate reflects with a slightly greenish tint.

StarlightRunner

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 30, 2022, 06:27:39 PM
The way most embossed plates I've seen worked, the design (including numbers) is printed over top of white reflective sheeting in a translucent ink that allows some amount of light through to reflect off of the reflective sheeting. (This is also how multi-colored reflective signs, and most flat-printed plates, work.)

Here's an example of a 1990s Oklahoma plate lit only by camera flash to illustrate this.

What a beaut.
Mapping the glittering highway, one lane at a time.

Ted$8roadFan

7/8

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on April 07, 2022, 10:24:50 AM
The new RI license plate design has been selected 

https://www.abc6.com/mckee-matos-to-hold-media-briefing-to-discuss-issues-of-the-day-unveil-license-plate-design/

That was my favourite of the options given, so I can't complain, but I'll still miss the existing one (it's one of the best in the US IMO).

kphoger

Quote from: 7/8 on April 07, 2022, 10:29:00 AM
I'll still miss the existing one (it's one of the best in the US IMO).

The existing one has a rather unique combination of being subtle yet easily identifiable.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Tendies

Figured I'd explain Arizona's new scrambled plate numbering system, since nobody else has done a thourough explanation.
Arizona plates are still sequential, albeit in a strange way. Think of it as progressing from the inside out, in a way. There are new sequences for 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 digit plates. Each position (except the fourth digit), starts at A, progresses to Z (Excluding I, O, Q, U), followed by 0-9. Each plate type used the format which can fit the most characters, so standard plates get 7, disabled and motorcycle plates get 6, certain specialties get 5, etc. The 7 digit series was discontinued in February 2020 in the the S#A#D#A series, due to readability issues. It has been replaced by the 6 series with a space in the middle. The 6 series continued being used on 6 character bases, although without the space. I don't know why it needed to be this complicated, but it was done to simplify the system using universal serial formats, rather than different formats for every single variant, specialty, and combination thereof.

Interestingly, passenger fleet (rental cars) and apportioned vehicles retain the old formats, with passenger fleet vehicles receiving numbers starting in the CWL series (jumping from CWB), and apporitoned vehicles receiving AL##### plates jumping from approximately AK20000. These (and dealer plates) seem to be the only plate types that still recieve normal-ish plate numbers. Even government plates get scrambled numbers (although the "Grand Canyon State" motto now reads "Government" instead).

The 7 series starts at AAA1AAA, which is followed by AAA2AAA, all the way up to AAA9AAA.
Then, digit 2 advances to B: ABA0AAA. This continutes to AZA9AAA, which is followed by A0A0AAA, A0A1AAA... A9A9AAA.
The next digit to flip is 6: AAA0ABA. This continues to A9A9A9A.
Next digit to flip is 1: BAA0AAA... 99A9A9A
Digit 5 is next. AAA0BAA... S#A#D#A (discontinued here)

The 6 series is almost identical, save for a slightly differing digit order:
AAA 0AA
AAA 9AA      
ABA 0AA      (advances every 10)
A9A 9AA      
AAA 0BA      (advances every 320)
A9A 99A      
BAA 0AA      (advances every 10,240)
99A 99A
AAA 0AB      (advances every 327,680)
So far, the highest I've personally observed is in the N#A ##H series. The last letter seems to move once every ~2 months.
Expanding on this, the mixing of letters and numbers in the same positions gives way to 4 different combinations of letters and numbers
5 letter 1 number      32%
4 letter 2 number      44%
3 letter 3 number      20%
2 letter 4 number       3%
Breaking these down into specific configurations:
AAA 1AA             32%
AAA 11A             15%
A1A 1AA             15%
A1A 11A              7%
1AA 1AA             15%
1AA 11A              7%
11A 1AA              7%
11A 11A              3%
Note that no specific configuration has any meaning; the one assigned to any vehicle is out of pure chance.

The 5 series is also scrambled, and it's fixed number is in position 3
AA1AA
AA9AA
BA0AA
9A9AA
AA0BA
9A99A
AB0AA

The 4 series is similar in that it mixes letters and numbers in the same digit positions, but is not scrambled, unlike the other two. These are mostly found on historic vehicle plates, which in the past used an AAA1 serial format. The last digit is always a number. This one is currently in the C### or D### series.
AAA1
AAA9
AAB0
AA99

The 3 series follows the same rules as the 4 series, although it is fairly rare. I've only observed a handful of these.

Side note here, anybody know whats up with the all white '24 registration stickers?

Scott5114

Damn, now that's how you make a first post. Welcome to the forums.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.