News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 21, 2022, 05:50:26 PM
Does aggressive driving/lack of etiquette actually result in higher accident rates? The obvious answer is that it would, since an aggressive driver probably takes a lot more risks and sometimes they'll misjudge. But perhaps aggressive driving is correlated with greater ability to judge what sort of gaps they can fit in and thus cancels out the higher risks they're taking?

I have no idea if data for this exists. I'm not really sure how you'd even quantify aggressive driving in order to study it.
You can look at M-F crash ratio, for example. Testosterone is not a joke

Scott5114

Quote from: kalvado on December 21, 2022, 05:54:46 PM
Does aggressive driving/lack of etiquette actually result in higher accident rates? The obvious answer is that it would, since an aggressive driver probably takes a lot more risks and sometimes they'll misjudge. But perhaps aggressive driving is correlated with greater ability to judge what sort of gaps they can fit in and thus cancels out the higher risks they're taking?

I have no idea if data for this exists. I'm not really sure how you'd even quantify aggressive driving in order to study it.

I don't think that's really a useful proxy because there are plenty of aggressive female drivers and non-aggressive male drivers. (My wife is far more aggressive than I am.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 21, 2022, 05:58:42 PM
Quote from: kalvado on December 21, 2022, 05:54:46 PM

I don't think that's really a useful proxy because there are plenty of aggressive female drivers and non-aggressive male drivers. (My wife is far more aggressive than I am.)
On average, though, men are more aggressive. Or you have any other explanation for this disparity? It's not limited to driving - significant difference in mortality is on the same page.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 21, 2022, 05:50:26 PMDoes aggressive driving/lack of etiquette actually result in higher accident rates? The obvious answer is that it would, since an aggressive driver probably takes a lot more risks and sometimes they'll misjudge. But perhaps aggressive driving is correlated with greater ability to judge what sort of gaps they can fit in and thus cancels out the higher risks they're taking?

There have been attempts to develop correlations through driver surveys.  In one study I have read of (reported in the UK), each subject was given a series of statements about driving and asked to register his or her level of agreement with each on a Likert scale.  Those who agreed more with sentiments considered characteristic of aggressive drivers tended to have more citations for traffic offenses and more reported accidents.

In another study I have read of, which I think was carried out in New Zealand using a similar survey methodology, the drivers with the cleanest histories (fewest citations and reported accidents) were found to have very low opinions of others' driving abilities and their own.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

MATraveler128

Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

jakeroot

^^^
Rare redesign that I actually like.

Ted$8roadFan

Halian

Quote from: kphoger on December 05, 2022, 02:44:45 PM
Quote from: Halian on December 05, 2022, 02:16:54 PM
* Halian pseudorelatedly wonders if a thread for custom/fictional license plate designs already exists

I made one for fictional license plate serial blocks, but that might be too geeky for what you're wanting.

You also might enjoy this post from 2013.
I 'member them! I ran into them as well on CCSLC, where they were doing hand-drawn ballparks, and ended up being half a sponsor namesake. :D

e: and their excellent United Plates of America series, which they already posted upthread!
HalDOT, featuring my Hoennverse and Safir Alliance worldbuilding projects

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: kphoger on January 03, 2023, 09:42:52 AM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on December 30, 2022, 10:34:58 PM
It's official. Rhode Island's new license plates will be issued starting in January.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/rhode-island-will-begin-issuing-new-license-plates-next-week/ar-AA15OLtH

It barely changed.

True enough. I would have preferred a brighter design.  Nonetheless, one of the purposes of the new plates will be used to root out those with expired registrations or faded plates (the old wave plates having been around since 1996).

MATraveler128

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on January 03, 2023, 10:01:43 AM
It's official. Rhode Island's new license plates will be issued starting in January.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/rhode-island-will-begin-issuing-new-license-plates-next-week/ar-AA15OLtH

It barely changed.

True enough. I would have preferred a brighter design.  Nonetheless, one of the purposes of the new plates will be used to root out those with expired registrations or faded plates (the old wave plates having been around since 1996).

Not a fan of flat plates either. It's sad to see so many states ditch the embossed type and switch over to the flat design. It just looks so fugly.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

StogieGuy7

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on January 03, 2023, 10:54:55 AM

It barely changed.

Not a fan of flat plates either. It's sad to see so many states ditch the embossed type and switch over to the flat design. It just looks so fugly.

Very much agree with you. Flat plates are also subject to blinding glare from certain angles that render them illegible and they basically look like a fake trinket from a souvenir shop.

Embossed plates look that part and do a better job of what plates are supposed to do.

mgk920

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on January 03, 2023, 11:54:50 AM

It barely changed.

Very much agree with you. Flat plates are also subject to blinding glare from certain angles that render them illegible and they basically look like a fake trinket from a souvenir shop.

Embossed plates look that part and do a better job of what plates are supposed to do.

Embossed plates  can still be read when the artwork fades and/or peels off, too.

Mike

StogieGuy7

Quote from: mgk920 on January 03, 2023, 01:25:58 PM

It barely changed.

Embossed plates  can still be read when the artwork fades and/or peels off, too.

Mike

True that. And that's a real problem in some states. WI is one of them where many older plates are peeling and the embossing is the only way to tell what the plate number is. IL is another, though they've been dealing with that by replacing older plates with the new design.

Scott5114

But flat plates are cheaper, and with about half the population opposed to funding the government at all for any reason...

kphoger

As much as I dislike flat plates, it's hard to imagine the downsides outweight the cost savings.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on December 17, 2022, 09:40:24 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 17, 2022, 05:10:55 PM
I'm in the awkward position of wanting to move from a one-plate state to a (maybe?) two-plate state* and my car has no way to attach a front plate to it. So I'll have to figure out some way of fixing that if I move.

*The state is Nevada. Everything I find on the internet indicates it's a two-plate state, but I don't remember seeing any front plates when I was there. But maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention? Or it changed recently and none of the websites have been updated?

I thought Nevada only required a front plate if you had the attachment for it. If not, it wasn't required.

You can also buy an attachment that allows you to install a plate on the front tow hitch. Common accessory for modified cars.

NRS 482.265 requires the DMV to issue two license plates to every motor vehicle (except motorcycles and mopeds) upon registration.

In case you decide to move, here is the relevant Nevada law regarding display of license plates:
Quote from: Nevada Revised Statutes chapter 482
NRS 482.275  License plates: Display.

1.  The license plates for a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, moped or motor vehicle being transported by a licensed vehicle transporter must be attached thereto, one in the rear and, except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, one in the front. The license plate issued for all other vehicles required to be registered must be attached to the rear of the vehicle. The license plates must be so displayed during the current calendar year or registration period.

2.  If the motor vehicle was not manufactured to include a bracket, device or other contrivance to display and secure a front license plate, and if the manufacturer of the motor vehicle provided no other means or method by which a front license plate may be displayed upon and secured to the motor vehicle:
      (a) One license plate must be attached to the motor vehicle in the rear; and
      (b) The other license plate may, at the option of the owner of the vehicle, be attached to the motor vehicle in the front.

3.  The provisions of subsection 2 do not relieve the Department of the duty to issue a set of two license plates as otherwise required pursuant to NRS 482.265 or other applicable law and do not entitle the owner of a motor vehicle to pay a reduced tax or fee in connection with the registration or transfer of the motor vehicle. If the owner of a motor vehicle, in accordance with the provisions of subsection 2, exercises the option to attach a license plate only to the rear of the motor vehicle, the owner shall:
      (a) Retain the other license plate; and
      (b) Insofar as it may be practicable, return or surrender both plates to the Department as a set when required by law to do so.

4.  Every license plate must at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle to which it is assigned so as to prevent the plate from swinging and at a height not less than 12 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible, and must be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible.

There are plenty of vehicles with front plates displayed. However, it seems to be a lot more common for newer vehicles to not have a a built-in spot for the front plate, instead providing a bracket that the owner would have to add on themselves...so many people don't go through that step. (That applies to me...just never prioritized affixing the bracket.)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Scott5114

So basically, "If you have a front bracket, display two plates, otherwise, just one is fine"? That's got to be one of the most sensible laws I've ever read.

kalvado

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on January 03, 2023, 02:08:56 PM

It barely changed.

Mike

True that. And that's a real problem in some states. WI is one of them where many older plates are peeling and the embossing is the only way to tell what the plate number is. IL is another, though they've been dealing with that by replacing older plates with the new design.
I wonder if stretching adhesive film upon embossing is a part of a peeling problem. I can certainly see film cracking on my older plates near the root of embossed features...

Ted$8roadFan

More on the new RI license plates. The state is calling its new plates "ocean"  instead of "wave" .

https://dmv.ri.gov/media/1946/download

mgk920

Quote from: kalvado on January 04, 2023, 07:37:43 AM
Quote from: StogieGuy7 on January 03, 2023, 02:08:56 PM

It barely changed.

Mike

I wonder if stretching adhesive film upon embossing is a part of a peeling problem. I can certainly see film cracking on my older plates near the root of embossed features...

Shortly before WisDOT started issuing plates in the [LLL-NNNN] format, they switched back to Avery as the supplier if the blank plates, dropping 3M.  A few years earlier they dropped Avery for 3M because they were cheaper.  Yepper, you can easily tell when the earlier supplier transition was from the quality of the plates with lower numbers.  Illinois is now reissuing plates with the same numbers to replace their bad ones and Michigan is on a seven year plate replacement rotation (as recommended by the blank plate manufacturer).  In Wisconsin, current design plates stay with the cars' owners and can be transferred to different, newer cars as long as they are in good condition.

Mike

Big John

Wisconsin will require replacement of over 10-year-old plates over the next 10 years: https://www.nbc15.com/2022/09/12/wisconsin-dmv-replacing-old-license-plates-over-next-10-years/

mgk920

Quote from: Big John on January 04, 2023, 04:55:31 PM
Wisconsin will require replacement of over 10-year-old plates over the next 10 years: https://www.nbc15.com/2022/09/12/wisconsin-dmv-replacing-old-license-plates-over-next-10-years/

Those are the 3M plates plus a few years of use time.

Mike

interstate73

🎶 Man, there’s an opera on the Turnpike 🎶

Morris County if the Route 178 Freeway had been built:

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.