News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StogieGuy7

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 10, 2023, 11:47:51 AM
Michigan has brought back the old blue and white plates which were in circulation from 1983 to 2007 two years after bringing back the 1965 to 1967 Water-Winter Wonderland plate. These plates are the ones that say Great Lakes at the bottom. I saw one for the first time in about 15 years today.

I'm not seeing anything on the MI Dept of State website indicating a new version of that plate. Yes, it could be so new that the website hasn't caught up. But, if that's the case, how could the owner of the one you saw have ordered it?

Flint1979

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on November 10, 2023, 11:59:31 AM
Michigan has brought back the old blue and white plates which were in circulation from 1983 to 2007 two years after bringing back the 1965 to 1967 Water-Winter Wonderland plate. These plates are the ones that say Great Lakes at the bottom. I saw one for the first time in about 15 years today.

I'm not seeing anything on the MI Dept of State website indicating a new version of that plate. Yes, it could be so new that the website hasn't caught up. But, if that's the case, how could the owner of the one you saw have ordered it?
Because it's a car from a year the plate was in service which can still be used on those cars.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 10, 2023, 12:23:47 PM

Because it's a car from a year the plate was in service which can still be used on those cars.

So, it's not really brought back by the DMV. Just a survivor.  Those are cool. Retro plates are a thing now with many states (like yours) bringing back old designs. CA (gold on black) and UT (white on black like they had in the 60s) have two of my favorites of that type now. MI's is up there too.

JCinSummerfield

Just saw an article on mlive.com.  Michigan IS bringing back the blue & white plate, as well as the black and white plate.  Also coming down the pike is the 1976 red, white & blue bicentennial plate, updated for America's semiquincentennial coming in 2026.

doglover44

Mi has always had the coolest plates in my opinion

Flint1979

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on November 10, 2023, 12:51:54 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 10, 2023, 12:23:47 PM

So, it's not really brought back by the DMV. Just a survivor.  Those are cool. Retro plates are a thing now with many states (like yours) bringing back old designs. CA (gold on black) and UT (white on black like they had in the 60s) have two of my favorites of that type now. MI's is up there too.
It's coming back as well as a few others. I think they are all pretty cool plates I like the Water-Winter Wonderland one the best.

mgk920

IIRC, California still has plates from as early as 1964 that are still valid (current number series, too) from when the car was first registered as 'new'.

Mike

Scott5114

These are probably year-of-manufacture programs (e.g. you can display a 1968 plate on a car made in 1968).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Flint1979

Personally I'm keeping my Water-Winter Wonderland plate. I like that plate better than the 1983-2007 blue and white one.

Ted$8roadFan

I wonder if it's an indictment of the state's current issue license plate if so many are electing to register (or re-register) their vehicles with vintage plates. Full disclosure: I probably would. 

Flint1979

Michigan's Pure Michigan license plates are pure ugly.

tigerwings

If I ever move back over the border I would to put my Great Lakes splendor plates back on. Have 3 in the garage.

mgk920

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 12, 2023, 08:56:16 AM

I see enough of them here in NE Wisconsin (driven by Yoopers) to agree and consider that to be a main reason why the state eliminated the front plates, they're that bad.

Mike

The Nature Boy

Changing your state name to a tourism logo is usually a bad look. This also applies to Florida.

Flint1979

Quote from: mgk920 on November 12, 2023, 11:54:28 AM

I see enough of them here in NE Wisconsin (driven by Yoopers) to agree and consider that to be a main reason why the state eliminated the front plates, they're that bad.

Mike
It was long before that when they eliminated them sometime in the early 80's when they were using the black and white plates.

Flint1979

Quote from: The Nature Boy on November 12, 2023, 12:17:09 PM

Changing your state name to a tourism logo is usually a bad look. This also applies to Florida.
I also dislike the Welcome to Pure Michigan signs at the state border. I didn't mind it when it said Welcome to Michigan Great Lakes Great Times.

TheCatalyst31

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 11, 2023, 03:50:52 AM
These are probably year-of-manufacture programs (e.g. you can display a 1968 plate on a car made in 1968).
California has those too, but they also haven't fully replaced existing license plates since 1963, meaning it's technically possible for a yellow-on-black 1963 base plate to still be on the road. Of course, in practice there are very few plates that hung on that long. A few other states are the same way; I think in Oregon you can still have a plate issued in 1956 on the road.

jakeroot

The actual Pure Michigan plate is a really good, simple design. I would keep it, but swap out "Pure Michigan" for block-style "MICHIGAN" on top, in the same shade of blue as the bottom, and then something else in the blue wave on the bottom.

Simple plate designs are a lost cause, I swear. Everyone wants a picture these days, even though they are harder to read.

Flint1979

I just want a plain plate. I hate the plates with the Mackinac Bridge on them. I also hate the sea wave at the bottom of the stupid Pure Michigan plates oh and the website can go too. Just keep it simple like the Water-Winter Wonderland and Great Lakes license plates. Hopefully these other throwback plates can get more of the Pure Michigan plates off the road and gone for good.

jakeroot

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 12, 2023, 09:25:19 PM
I just want a plain plate. I hate the plates with the Mackinac Bridge on them. I also hate the sea wave at the bottom of the stupid Pure Michigan plates oh and the website can go too. Just keep it simple like the Water-Winter Wonderland and Great Lakes license plates. Hopefully these other throwback plates can get more of the Pure Michigan plates off the road and gone for good.

Water-Winter Wonderland is one of the all-time greats, I'd love to see it brought back as a standard-issue plate.

Similar great design to Water-Winter Wonderland is Oregon's Pacific Wonderland plate. It's so good, I would move to Oregon just to get it...

Flint1979

Quote from: jakeroot on November 13, 2023, 03:20:47 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 12, 2023, 09:25:19 PM

Water-Winter Wonderland is one of the all-time greats, I'd love to see it brought back as a standard-issue plate.

Similar great design to Water-Winter Wonderland is Oregon's Pacific Wonderland plate. It's so good, I would move to Oregon just to get it...

If I lived in Oregon I'd put that plate on my car for sure.

kphoger

Quote from: TheCatalyst31 on November 12, 2023, 06:11:44 PM

California has those too, but they also haven't fully replaced existing license plates since 1963, meaning it's technically possible for a yellow-on-black 1963 base plate to still be on the road. Of course, in practice there are very few plates that hung on that long. A few other states are the same way; I think in Oregon you can still have a plate issued in 1956 on the road.

Correct.  I've personally seen a California plate from the "2" series (1980s) on the road here in the Midwest as recently as a couple of years ago.  I mentioned to the owner that she must have had her vehicle for quite a while, that it was cool to see such an old serial number still in use, and she didn't seem to have much clue what I was talking about.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Big John

Quote from: kphoger on November 13, 2023, 10:29:26 AM
Quote from: TheCatalyst31 on November 12, 2023, 06:11:44 PM

Correct.  I've personally seen a California plate from the "2" series (1980s) on the road here in the Midwest as recently as a couple of years ago.  I mentioned to the owner that she must have had her vehicle for quite a while, that it was cool to see such an old serial number still in use, and she didn't seem to have much clue what I was talking about.
Someone else may have had that vehicle before her as California policy is that the plate stays with the vehicle if ownership changes.

mgk920

IMHO, it is a good thing that Wisconsin has keep its present simple basic design for so long, with the only real changes being the color of the numbers and letters.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.