News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Street names that don't seem to make sense

Started by Streetman, August 12, 2023, 10:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryV

Quote from: LilianaUwU on August 13, 2023, 06:46:44 PM
some sort of religious clinic way back then
I seem to remember abbeys or convents called that, back around the time of the crusades up to maybe the Renaissance, that were essentially convalescent homes for those injured in wars or fallen sick on pilgrimages. And unfortunately given the state of medical knowledge, more often they ended up being what we'd call a hospice.

paulthemapguy

A rating of various street names in the town where I grew up, Oswego, IL.

Forest Avenue:  There are trees along it but not really any real forests. 5/10
Parkside Lane: It actually runs alongside a park! Not terribly inventive though. 9/10
Prairieview Drive: It didn't have any view of a prairie when it was originally signed, but a new development put a wetland/prairie preserve within eyeshot. Appropriate name, but only accidentally. 6/10
Boulder Hill Pass: I have yet to see a Boulder, a Hill, or a Pass. 2/10
Lakeview Drive: It is actually in eyeshot of a manmade lake, so it counts. 9/10
Paradise Parkway: Hah, this is suburban cookie-cutter homes.  Try again. 1/10
Morgan Valley Drive: Runs in the valley of Morgan Creek. Appropriate. 9/10
Long Beach Drive: There is no beach here.  There's not even any water features here. 1/10
Highland Court: Get out of here.  This is Illinois. 1/10
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

johnandmegh

Kind of a fun one in Columbus - Federated Blvd in the northwest was named because Federated Department Stores was going to be the anchor for a new mall that was being planned for that land. Builders negotiating/city maneuvering/etc. led to the planned northwest mall instead being built as Tuttle Crossing to the southwest of that space, but the Federated road name stuck.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 14, 2023, 02:37:57 PM
A rating of various street names in the town where I grew up, Oswego, IL.

Forest Avenue:  There are trees along it but not really any real forests. 5/10

Does it head to a forest? I would count it if it did.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Quillz

"Ventura Canyon Road" is a short discontinuous set of streets in the SF Valley. There is no proper Ventura Canyon.

"Whitnall Highway" is a short street in the SF Valley. Not exactly what you'd think of when you hear "highway." This, however, does make a bit more sense if you consider it was once intended to be one of the earliest freeways in the state. But it was never realized and the short street is all that remains.

roadman65

Any Vineland Road in Orlando area as the once community of Vineland in Orange County that got replaced with post Disney sprawl no longer exists.

There is no road between Winter Garden and Vineland to be called Winter Garden- Vineland Road anymore or between Kissimmee and Vineland to be Kissimmee - Vineland Road anymore either.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Quillz

There's a road off the 395 called "Manzanar Reward Road." This does make sense, as west of the 395 it goes to Manzanar, east of the 395 it goes to the small community of Reward. But reading the name as "Manzanar Reward" is an unfortunate naming choice if you know the history of Manzanar.

achilles765

Well here in Houston we have a group or numbered streets like "eight street"  and "ninth street" . They are all in the heights area and run from second to I believe 45th. Then, randomly on the east side where I live you start seeing 65-78th streets. Totally different parts of town
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.