News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Central Susquehanna Valley Road Meet Spring 2018

Started by jpi, May 15, 2017, 07:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpi

Hello Everyone,
By now most of you know I have 2 central PA road meets in planning stages, one focusing on the first diverging diamond in central PA along with seeing one of the oldest railroad tunnels still active, they will be in York County and the other is focused on the construction of the Central Susquehanna Valley Transportation Project in the north central part of the state in Selinsgrove. Based on how far along the later of these 2 projects are going it looks like the CSVT road meet is going to be the first of these 2 meets being planned. I am eyeing up late April to early May 2018 for this one, this gives me plenty of time to scout the area on my York\ Harrisburg area visits with family\ friends\ toy shows and speaking of toy show I am aiming at putting this on a Saturday tied in with a toy show the next day or the next weekend or weekend before, this will help with planning vacation time for both Steph and I.

As always one big concern is snow since we had a surprise snow storm hit and even impact some of the attendees last April at my last central PA road meet so that is one reason why I am aiming at late April\ early May this time, my plan at this point is for us to meet for the usual 11am lunch at a local restaurant, probably along 11/15 in Hummels Wharf, several chain sitdown restaurants and local ones in that area and positions us to see most of the corridor starting with the stub end of the 522 interchange north to the Milton area where PA 147 meets I-180. Thanks to the drone fly over footage posted on the Northeast board this gives me a good tool to work with for scouting, there is a few local roads off 15 and 11 that should allow us to see the construction with minimal issues. My next trip to central PA is either mid August or late September and I plan on taking a day to travel to the area and do a good thorough scouting.

This is the long term announcement, just a matter of getting dates nailed down for polling, that will come later this fall. I am open to any and all suggestions especially those who live near that area. :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

epzik8

I live in Harford County, Maryland, which borders York County to the south; is that close enough or does that disqualify me or something?
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jpi

Quote from: epzik8 on May 15, 2017, 09:20:11 PM
I live in Harford County, Maryland, which borders York County to the south; is that close enough or does that disqualify me or something?
What do you mean exactly? Any one can attend.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

The way US 522 ends is certainly odd. Is this project going to extend that route beyond the current stub end?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

Quote from: hbelkins on May 16, 2017, 11:57:31 AM
The way US 522 ends is certainly odd. Is this project going to extend that route beyond the current stub end?
Yes it will, extend north from the current stub end with US 522, run west of the current 11-15, new interchange with PA 61 connecter, then cross over US 15 north of where US 11 splits,, new bridge across west branch Susquehanna river (being worked on right now) then tie into the PA 147 expressway south of I-80/ I-180 exit.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

briantroutman

Quote from: jpi on May 16, 2017, 12:10:47 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 16, 2017, 11:57:31 AM
Yes it will, extend north from the current stub end with US 522, run west of the current 11-15, new interchange with PA 61 connecter, then cross over US 15 north of where US 11 splits,, new bridge across west branch Susquehanna river (being worked on right now) then tie into the PA 147 expressway south of I-80/ I-180 exit.

I think he was asking whether the US 522 designation would be extended–is that what you were asking HB?

If so–no, 522 will end at the US 11-15 overpass as it does today. But perhaps surprisingly, this project will not (as currently planned) result in US 15 being routed along the PA 147 and I-180 freeway. The proposed route designation plan is for US 11 to follow the old road through Shamokin Dam while US 15 is routed on the new freeway bypass. Then US 15 will exit the CSVT freeway and follow the old route through Lewisburg and over Bald Eagle Mountain to Williamsport. PA 147 will "fly solo"  across the new Susquehanna River bridge and connect with I-180.

But about a meet in this area–I'm definitely interested and will have no trouble making it since I'm essentially local now.

jpi

Thanks for the clarification and posting the map, been busy with work so I did not have time to find this map or any other map, like planning other road meets this is a "work in progress" but the end result will be a good and thorough tour of the area along with the fellow ship of everyone attending :biggrin:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

vdeane

As much as I have been looking forward to this meet and would LOVE to attend, I'm afraid I'm almost certainly have to pass given the timing.  I have to drive to Florida for a wedding mid-May 2018, so I probably wouldn't be able to do any meet requiring overnight travel next spring (and this meet is just barely out of daytrip range), especially if I used this as an opportunity to drive to Key West.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Dougtone

hbelkins

No, I was asking if the roadway would be extended, not the US 522 designation.

jpi

Quote from: vdeane on May 16, 2017, 07:31:23 PM
As much as I have been looking forward to this meet and would LOVE to attend, I'm afraid I'm almost certainly have to pass given the timing.  I have to drive to Florida for a wedding mid-May 2018, so I probably wouldn't be able to do any meet requiring overnight travel next spring (and this meet is just barely out of daytrip range), especially if I used this as an opportunity to drive to Key West.
Sorry to hear this but at the same time if this is an opportunity to drive to Key West, I would definetly take it, it's on my personal bucket list for road trips too :bigass:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Rothman

Quote from: jpi on May 16, 2017, 10:02:15 PM
Sorry to hear this but at the same time if this is an opportunity to drive to Key West, I would definetly take it, it's on my personal bucket list for road trips too :bigass:
Headed down there in August.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Rothman on May 16, 2017, 10:06:07 PM
Quote from: jpi on May 16, 2017, 10:02:15 PM
Headed down there in August.

I know this is not directly related, but I really hope one day I can finally get those final 3 miles of I-95 south of I-395/FL 836 I did not get on a band trip to the Orange Bowl back in 2009. 

That was actually my first VT game, which thankfully was a win because otherwise my first VT game would have been an embarrassing loss at Lane Stadium in 2010.

I still have not really gone significantly north or northwest of Harrisburg since I moved to PA (farthest north has been Millersburg, farthest northwest has been Newport) so we will see if I get that way before the meet.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

froggie

Quote from: hbelkinsNo, I was asking if the roadway would be extended, not the US 522 designation.

It would help if we knew which specific road stub you were referring to.  Given that the end of US 522 feeds directly into existing US 11/15 through Shamokin Dam, I'm not sure which roadway you're talking about.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on May 17, 2017, 07:30:07 AM
Quote from: hbelkinsNo, I was asking if the roadway would be extended, not the US 522 designation.

It would help if we knew which specific road stub you were referring to.  Given that the end of US 522 feeds directly into existing US 11/15 through Shamokin Dam, I'm not sure which roadway you're talking about.

This. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8195743,-76.8531562,2810m/data=!3m1!1e3

My memory was a bit foggy. It's obvious that US 522 ended at an old routing of US 11/15 and then was extended over that route to the current end. The stub would be a continuation of US 11/15.

I had also forgotten how traffic from northbound 11/15 accessed 522, or 522 traffic accessed southbound 11/15. It does so via a loop around a Sheetz. I'm sure Sheetz won't want to see that interchange at the end of 522 expanded.

Speaking of which, how are they going to avoid tearing down the motels in the northeast quadrant of the incomplete exit? Or will they keep that Sheetz loop-around and not have a ramp directly from extended 11/15 to southbound 522?

froggie

If you're referring to the stub roadways extending northwest from that interchange, yes that's where the CSVT will tie in (with some slight realignment of the end of the stubs).

briantroutman

Quote from: hbelkins on May 17, 2017, 11:09:51 AM
My memory was a bit foggy...

Speaking of which, how are they going to avoid tearing down the motels in the northeast quadrant of the incomplete exit?

The CSVT will extend the existing freeway from the current stub end–essentially picking up where the construction was halted in the '70s. There will be a slight realignment of the carriageways north of the US 11-15/US 522 overpass, but for all intents and purposes, it will look as if the new freeway picks up where the old one left off.

The interchange as well will be completed in much the same form as the existing grading suggests. The only addition will be a ramp from the current US 11-15 southbound onto the CSVT freeway headed north. This doesn't appear to impact the Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn Express in that NE quadrant. The plans do not appear to provide any improved access for US 11-15 northbound to US 522.

jpi

Anyway we can get a closeup like this from the rest of the new alignment? Thanks for posting this.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jemacedo9

jpi

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

cl94

Definitely a possibility for me, depends entirely on class schedule for next spring. Close enough that I'd hate to miss it.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

noelbotevera

This is a certainty for me, considering I LIVE in the Susquehanna Valley (I'm not exactly sure how you would define Franklin County though - maybe Appalachia?). Expect to see my dad and moí here, just a BIT older (I was 10 or 11 at the last meet).

Should note: I'd appreciate if it was a weekend (my dad is off). These areas are 1.5 to 2 hours away from me (which is a bit of a stretch). This also gives me a reason to visit Williamsport to see my dead cat's ashes.

74/171FAN

Quote from: noelbotevera on May 21, 2017, 01:16:21 PM
Should note: I'd appreciate if it was a weekend (my dad is off). These areas are 1.5 to 2 hours away from me (which is a bit of a stretch). This also gives me a reason to visit Williamsport to see my dead cat's ashes.

I do not think I have ever seen a road meet happen on a weekday yet.   :-D  (I am not counting gatherings such as the one in upstate New York back in March.)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 21, 2017, 01:42:39 PM

I do not think I have ever seen a road meet happen on a weekday yet.   :-D  (I am not counting gatherings such as the one in upstate New York back in March.)

Some of the multi-day meets have involved Thursday and/or Friday events.

74/171FAN

Quote from: hbelkins on May 21, 2017, 03:33:06 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 21, 2017, 01:42:39 PM

Some of the multi-day meets have involved Thursday and/or Friday events.
I am sure of that, but were any of those events part of the main meet?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.