News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What will Oklahoma do for the sesquicentennial in 2057?

Started by bugo, January 16, 2019, 09:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Oklahoma became a state in 1907. As a part of the 75th anniversary festivities in 1982, I-44 was extended from the end of the Turner Turnpike at I-35 to Wichita Falls over I-35, I-240, US 62, the H.E. Bailey Turnpike and various stretches of US 62, US  277 and US 281. For its centennial in 2007, the state highway shield was changed from a humble circle to the popular meat cleaver. Yes, extending interstates and changing route marker designs is a strange way to celebrate statehood anniversaries but it's Oklahoma where nothing and anything makes sense at the same time. I don't know if the highway department did anything to commemorate the 25th anniversary in 1932 or the semicentennial in 1957 or not. What will they do for the sesquicentennial in 2057? Will they do anything for the 125th anniversary in 2032?

sparker

Given the pace at which current projects not within OKC or Tulsa are progressing, it's not unlikely that 2032 will see the first ceremonial shovel of dirt turned on the US 69 Muskogee bypass.  They'll probably still be squabbling about bypassing Atoka and Stringtown. 

US 89

The Ghostbuster

I strongly distrust future predictions of any kind. The predictor has a far, far greater probability of being wrong than of being right.

sparker

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 16, 2019, 04:06:13 PM
I strongly distrust future predictions of any kind. The predictor has a far, far greater probability of being wrong than of being right.

When there's one correct and an infinite number of incorrect outcomes, of course the odds of the prediction not playing out are correspondingly skewed.  Also, if the environment in which the prediction is made changes more than marginally, the odds against a favorable outcome increase accordingly.  So yes, predictors are pretty much screwed from the get-go!  But since few of us on the forum actually have a "dog in the fight", predictions are generally no more than a heuristic exercise and a reflection of the level of analysis we put into those statements -- essentially no harm, no foul.  And some of us (myself included, since I turn 70 this year) probably won't be around for the outcome of many of the more temporally far-reaching predictive utterings.  But hell -- that's part of what the forum's for -- taking educated guesses regarding what will occur in the field -- and when it'll happen.   If some choose to "grade" us on this, then that's wholly on them -- and not something we as individuals can or need to control.  As far as I'm concerned, everyone can predict away to their hearts' content -- the forum's a half-decent place to do just that!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.