News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

ON: 401 twelve laning Mississauga

Started by AsphaltPlanet, August 16, 2012, 04:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsphaltPlanet

In case people are interested.  A short section of Highway 401 is being 12 laned through Mississauga.  This is a westerly extension of the collector lanes.

A quick photo looking east from the McLaughlin Road overpass taken at the end of July:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

1995hoo

Is there any particular significance to the dotted yellow line between the right lane and the second lane? I've travelled around Canada quite a bit but I don't ever recall seeing that sort of yellow line other than in passing zones on two-lane roads.

(As I look again I see the acceleration lane has a dotted yellow line there as well.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mtantillo

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 16, 2012, 05:27:13 PM
Is there any particular significance to the dotted yellow line between the right lane and the second lane? I've travelled around Canada quite a bit but I don't ever recall seeing that sort of yellow line other than in passing zones on two-lane roads.

(As I look again I see the acceleration lane has a dotted yellow line there as well.)

I think you are seeing a dotted *orange* line.  Orange = construction.  I saw temporary pavement markings in work zones in orange in Canada back in 2010.  Why they chose to make 2 of 5 lines in orange and the rest in normal colors is beyond me. 

I kind of like the idea of temporary markings in a different color.  This way when you get to the DOT that does a poor job scraping up the old markings, you know to follow the orange ones in the work zone and to ignore the remnants of the other ones. 

1995hoo

I'm viewing it on my phone and will take your word for it on orange. If that's what it is I like the idea, though.

AsphaltPlanet

In this case, the orange line paint seems to delineate a new lane configuration through the construction zone.  The right hand lane of the westbound carriageway defaults off at the Mavis Road off-ramp just on the other side of the overpass that I was standing on to take this photo.  Prior to the highway realignment, the right lane had been through, and there was no development of the left lane as is pictured.

I agree, though, orange line paint through construction zones is a fantastic idea.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

1995hoo

Looking at it again on my PC and on the larger screen the difference between the orange on that side of the pavement and the yellow along the left lane is more apparent than on the small phone screen. It looks as though Ontario does a better job of removing the old lines (based on looking at the lower part of the image where the Ford truck is driving) compared to the DOTs here in the DC area, but I still like the idea for the reason Mike mentioned earlier. We've had a LOT of road construction lately and sometimes it CAN be damn difficult to follow the lines, especially at certain times of day when the sun glare makes the ruts hard to distinguish from the striping.

kphoger

I recall yellow paint being standard in construction zones in Germany.  Is that a European standard?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on August 17, 2012, 01:44:39 PM
I recall yellow paint being standard in construction zones in Germany.  Is that a European standard?

I do NOT recall seeing yellow paint when I drove through a lengthy work zone on the M4 on my way back to Heathrow on my most recent trip to England.

Alps

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 17, 2012, 02:10:31 PM

I do NOT recall seeing yellow paint when I drove through a lengthy work zone on the M4 on my way back to Heathrow on my most recent trip to England.
England doesn't necessarily copy the rest of Europe. Many countries do use yellow for construction there.

1995hoo

Quote from: Steve on August 17, 2012, 07:32:18 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 17, 2012, 02:10:31 PM

England doesn't necessarily copy the rest of Europe. Many countries do use yellow for construction there.

True. After all, they also use obsolete units of measure :-)

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

AsphaltPlanet

A couple of more up to date photos of the Hurontario Street construction:

(taken by me):

More and larger versions here:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/Hwy401_HurontarioCons_images.htm

StogieGuy7

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 16, 2012, 05:27:13 PM

Yes, orange striping is now used in many Ontario construction zones to let you know that the alignments are temporary and as a reminder (along with the narrow black/orange cones) that you're in a construction zone.  Personally, I like the idea.  The markings are eye-catching and seem to remain visible in such zones far better than the temporary white markings.  And, there's no confusing them with permanent lane stripes. 

The QEW was full of this sort of striping when I went through last month. 

amroad17

This is going to look very impressive whenever it gets finished.  Please post the finished product when you can.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

haljackey

It wasn't the greatest day weather-wise but I did manage to take a bunch of pics of the construction work yesterday during a group visit. You can view them here if interested: http://www.dropbox.com/sh/2e5lsmi0w5136v1/4-MyPtLO09

AsphaltPlanet

Some additional photos, taken today.  As is illustrated in the photos, the future westbound express lanes are mostly paved.

More and larger:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/Hwy401_HurontarioCons_images.htm#Dec12

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet

A couple of new photos:

I have put together a webpage that chrnoicles the construction project.  It probably goes into more detail than the average person is interested in seeing (and I have only uploaded about half the photos that I have taken), but here is the link for anyone interested:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/Hwy401_HurontarioCons_images.htm
(New photos are at the bottom).

Chris

Good photos :-)

Are there plans to widen the 401 further west? I took a look at the 401 traffic volumes and they taper off with 20,000 vehicles after each exit, moving west from the 403 to 407 . But volumes are still 130,000+ until you reach Winston Churchill Boulevard (just before Highway 407). That stretch could use some extra capacity. I doubt if 12-laning is immediately necessary at this time, but 130,000 - 180,000 vpd on six lanes is very high.

AsphaltPlanet

Yeah, there are long term plans to widen the 401 to ten or twelve lanes as far wear as Kitchener.  Nothing is funded though.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on July 24, 2013, 10:31:26 AM
Yeah, there are long term plans to widen the 401 to ten or twelve lanes as far wear as Kitchener.  Nothing is funded though.

Have the owners of the Highway 407 ETR concession complained at all about the widening of Ontario 401?

Seems that it might end up costing them some traffic (and revenue).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 24, 2013, 01:09:27 PM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on July 24, 2013, 10:31:26 AM

Have the owners of the Highway 407 ETR concession complained at all about the widening of Ontario 401?

Seems that it might end up costing them some traffic (and revenue).

I don't think they have, but that's not something I know conclusively or anything.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.