News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

Quote from: fwydriver405 on September 05, 2020, 11:06:25 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on September 05, 2020, 08:41:37 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 05, 2020, 04:27:44 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on September 05, 2020, 02:43:27 PM
what's wrong here: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4143618,-71.2031974,3a,75y,163.43h,80.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s26IvdztrrRLPn6Ah9tdLJA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Looks to me like that signal is only Red-Yellow-Yellow despite the Signal Ahead sign right in front of it.

1/2

There is no stop line!

Is this signal operating in flash mode? I only ask because in setups like this, the lower yellow usually flashes in resting mode until a pedestrian presses the button, then it goes solid yellow (middle), than solid red (upper). Also, the ped signal is also completly dark unless the bulbs are burnt out, which usually rest on "DON'T WALK".

Maryland has similar pedestrian signals that operate a lot like firehouse signals:

Flashing yellow (most of the time)
More rapid flashing yellow [after someone pushes the button as a warning that the light will change]
Solid yellow
Solid red.

Here's an example:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0398383,-77.0430817,3a,75y,103.58h,86.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZvWBU2zxx4zgh894iGefkw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

My take:  There are many variations on the ped only crossing:  Pelican crossing, HAWK signals, regular signals, Modified firehouse signals, and probably a few others out there.  I think these signals should be made uniform and should be designed for the highest safety for the peds while allowing for the least overall delay for traffic.

With that being said, I prefer a signal that rests on green.  Green signifies that its a traffic signal and it may eventually come red.  Flashing yellow could always be a flashing yellow and since a driver could drive by such a signal and never see it red, they never expect red to occur.  Also, flashing yellow sometimes would allow a pedestrian to cross anyway.  That should be avoided.  Peds (and bikes in this case) should push the button and wait for the walk indication and not be "allowed" to cross against a flashing yellow.

After a pedestrian pushes the button, green turns to yellow which turns to red.

The red signal should be a solid red initially.  Gives drivers a chance to rest and see the situation.  But in cases like this, it is not a good idea for the signal to be red for the entire pedestrian clearance phase.  In situations like this there is probably signicant jaywalking or very fast peds and bikes along an exercise trail- why make cars wait if the peds already crossed.  Therefore, the solid red should be brief -- about the time of the walk phase.  When the peds get FDW, the cars can get a flashing red.  Cars can come to a complete stop and when the peds have cleared they may proceed.  Once solid DW arrives, the signal reverts to green.

This is most similar to a pelican crossing, except that it flashes red instead of yellow during FDW.  [The full stop adds safety with minimal added wait time.] This is also similar to the Los Angeles mid-block crossing, except that the L.A. crossings always flash red during the red phase, my signal would go from solid red first and then to flashing red.

FWIW, I believe someone had posted a video of driving along Santa Monica Blvd in West Hollywood and it appeared there was a signal similar to what I was descring about a block west of La Cienega - but in that case the solid red signal was very brief.

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

STLmapboy

Quote from: Amtrakprod on September 06, 2020, 01:05:01 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8282304,-73.9351375,3a,17.9y,121.36h,97.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sg1KsMaIKZi2QgJH6p8dJOQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Quote from: Amtrakprod on September 06, 2020, 01:05:30 PM
oh god and this: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.828054,-73.9346261,3a,15y,247.04h,97.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6_U3Pflp7zt3kMI_79QwlA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
First one is New York typical (though the arrow is off). In classic NY fashion, there's also a cluster of burnt-out diodes.
Second one is weird. Apart from the arrowmania, there's also that tiny red atop the large green/yellow that I hate ("pinball signals," someone called them).
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Amtrakprod

Quote from: STLmapboy on September 06, 2020, 01:20:08 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on September 06, 2020, 01:05:01 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8282304,-73.9351375,3a,17.9y,121.36h,97.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sg1KsMaIKZi2QgJH6p8dJOQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Quote from: Amtrakprod on September 06, 2020, 01:05:30 PM
oh god and this: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.828054,-73.9346261,3a,15y,247.04h,97.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6_U3Pflp7zt3kMI_79QwlA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
First one is New York typical (though the arrow is off). In classic NY fashion, there's also a cluster of burnt-out diodes.
Second one is weird. Apart from the arrowmania, there's also that tiny red atop the large green/yellow that I hate ("pinball signals," someone called them).
Yes. These may be the only doghouse signals in NYC. The first one I sent because of the odd arrow for the green.

iPhone

fwydriver405

On a related note, are there any RRFB crossings that include an APS button? The crosswalks near the University of Maine at Park St and Rangeley Road feaure APS buttons to activate the RRFB's at the roundabout.

The messages say "YELLOW LIGHTS ARE FLASHING", then the same messages in Spanish.

STLmapboy

Nonstandard "left on green arrow only" signage in my state. Uses a picture.

Also, the lights that are bagged on the other poles have been that way for a while.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Amtrakprod

Quote from: fwydriver405 on September 06, 2020, 03:59:01 PM
On a related note, are there any RRFB crossings that include an APS button? The crosswalks near the University of Maine at Park St and Rangeley Road feaure APS buttons to activate the RRFB's at the roundabout.

The messages say "YELLOW LIGHTS ARE FLASHING", then the same messages in Spanish.
San clementr CA has this, ill link that tmr. And in Cambridge MA too I think

iPhone

jeffandnicole

Quote from: fwydriver405 on September 06, 2020, 03:59:01 PMThe crosswalks near the University of Maine at Park St and Rangeley Road feaure APS buttons to activate the RRFB's at the roundabout.

In that story:

QuoteOther factors are at play when planning a project like this. Due to the oversized load vehicles that transport wind blades to the Advanced Structures and Composites Center, project coordinators required the roundabout to be surrounded by a raised island to allow for the movement of large trucks.

So...either the reporter is clearly uninformed (well, she is a college student) the coordinators are uninformed, or they just all made up an excuse to state why the raised island was build...because that's simply standard roundabout design.

Amtrakprod

jakeroot

Quote from: STLmapboy on September 06, 2020, 10:25:35 PM

Also, the lights that are bagged on the other poles have been that way for a while.

The double right turn yield is pretty cool. Usually only see those in Canada. Pretty rare in the US, although more common at roundabouts (particularly some in Wisconsin -- exhibit A)

As a side-note: please, for god sakes, fix your browser so that I'm not seeing google.pl. It's very annoying, and I know that you know you're doing it. It's not a hard fix, and makes it easier to re-link to another location. We really don't need everyone browsing Google Poland.

STLmapboy

Quote from: jakeroot on September 08, 2020, 01:04:54 AM

The double right turn yield is pretty cool. Usually only see those in Canada. Pretty rare in the US, although more common at roundabouts (particularly some in Wisconsin -- exhibit A)

As a side-note: please, for god sakes, fix your browser so that I'm not seeing google.pl. It's very annoying, and I know that you know you're doing it. It's not a hard fix, and makes it easier to re-link to another location. We really don't need everyone browsing Google Poland.
If you insist :rolleyes:.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

jakeroot

Quote from: STLmapboy on September 08, 2020, 09:16:21 AM

Thanks pal. It's really helpful. If you link to somewhere, but then I want to show you another location that may be relevant, I have to close your tab (or open another one), reopen Google Maps US, and then link the location. Why? Because we all primarily use Google Maps US and many of us save stuff to our Google accounts. None of us are logged in on Google Maps Poland. Plus, if someone doesn't notice, they might also link to the Polish Google maps, and then it starts this chain. Yeeesh.

ErmineNotyours

Ug.  Exhibit A seems to imply a direct left turn from the sign.  Only if you look close can you see a dot by the left-most arrow.  The other day I had to think for a bit why this dot was rubbed out of this pavement marking before this new roundabout in Port Orchard.  It took a while to realize they don't want to imply the right lane is the closest one to the center of the circle.

STLmapboy

Quote from: jakeroot on September 08, 2020, 03:11:24 PM

Thanks pal. It's really helpful. If you link to somewhere, but then I want to show you another location that may be relevant, I have to close your tab (or open another one), reopen Google Maps US, and then link the location. Why? Because we all primarily use Google Maps US and many of us save stuff to our Google accounts. None of us are logged in on Google Maps Poland. Plus, if someone doesn't notice, they might also link to the Polish Google maps, and then it starts this chain. Yeeesh.
I  see your reasoning. :)
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

jakeroot

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on September 08, 2020, 04:03:59 PM

Ug.  Exhibit A seems to imply a direct left turn from the sign.  Only if you look close can you see a dot by the left-most arrow.  The other day I had to think for a bit why this dot was rubbed out of this pavement marking before this new roundabout in Port Orchard.  It took a while to realize they don't want to imply the right lane is the closest one to the center of the circle.

I've never been keen on those fish hook arrows. I seem to recall reading a study that concluded them being too confusing compared to regular arrows.

IIRC, APLs are extremely common at roundabouts in Wisconsin, with the dot being a common feature. I don't mind the dot, although I don't know how many drivers really know the meaning.

Hard to tell, but WSDOT actually screwed up with the dot at the new on-ramp to the 205 from NE 18th in Vancouver. It's still there, years later, for both arrows. Although this may be because both arrows were originally the same (showing left and straight options) before they fixed it (you can sort of see the rubbed out arrowhead in Street View, and better in satellite view).

signalman

The question that begs to be asked is why is anyone sharing Google maps Poland links to begin with?  He's sharing links to US locations.

Amtrakprod

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

JoePCool14

Quote from: Amtrakprod on September 09, 2020, 09:16:32 AM

Belmont, MA

iPhone

Yuck! I hate when DOTs do this. It just feels wrong. I know Chicago is guilty of this practice.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

mrsman

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 09, 2020, 10:01:45 AM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on September 09, 2020, 09:16:32 AM

Belmont, MA

iPhone

Yuck! I hate when DOTs do this. It just feels wrong. I know Chicago is guilty of this practice.

The problem is mixing the orb signal with the arrow signal.  If you want a hybrid signal, you can have: R-Y-G-YA-GA.  But to shorten it to R-YA-GA is confusing

STLmapboy

New England has a lot of relics.

Also, has anybody noticed these lime-green lights? Kirkwood MO had some before they were torn out in Jan 2020.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.