[October 8th 2016] Birmingham Road Meet

Started by codyg1985, December 21, 2015, 01:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

I'll echo what everyone else said about it being a great meet.  It was a lot of fun to see a new part of the country.

Florida is a place I definitely plan to get to at some point, though I'm not sure if I'd be able to next year; it would depend on whether I go to Alaska or not, as well as other things.  There's also the fact that I'd have to make the return trip fairly long or cover much of the same ground as either the trip over or the trip to/from Birmingham.  Plus, if I did Florida, I would want to do it "right" and go all the way to Key West (plus clinching I-95 is on my todo list).  That said, it IS more likely that I'll explore an area if there's a meet in the area; I've often thought about doing long trips sans a meet, but one reason why I haven't is because I don't want to divert time/money away from a meet.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US71

A few notes on my trip.

I picked up US 51 off I-40 at Memphis and followed it to US 78. 51 zigs and zags a lot.

Once in Mississippi, I tried to work out exactly where I-22 begins (just west of Byhalia at the Marshall-DeSoto County line near future I-269)

Past Tupelo, I started exploring county roads in search of original 78/Bankhead Hioghway. Most of the segments run a mile or two, then end, but I found a lengthy section near Mooreville with 3-4 old concrete bridges, and as a special bonus, a section of "sidewalk highway" that appeared to be the original pavement.

The MS 178 bridge over the Mantachie Creek was closed for renovation, so I had to backtrack.

Once in Alabama, the I-22 shields are a mix of named and neutered (Mississippi's are all named). The Appalachian Corridor US 78 shields are still posted, but not always with I-22.
At Hamilton, I followed US 278 to AL 5.  There are trailblazers along I-22 for US 278 East, but they are a mix of larger and smaller signs. 

Signage is all wacky at I-22/US 78 SW of Jasper. 22 West isn't posted on SB 5, but EB 78 is shown following EB 22 (but 78 is also posted along the non-freeway 78.

Sunday, I retraced some of the tour (mostly looking for more squashed shields) and followed 78 east to just past Leeds. Heading back, I saw numerous button copy signs. Also a couple button shields at I-59/20/65.

I left Birmingham on US 78 and followed it back to I-22. AL 118 has 3 exits, but only two are posted. Exit 53 (the middle exit) only has an EXIT sign, no advance warning or route posting. It appears to be mostly Frontage Road access.

I stayed on US 78 all the way to Memphis and navigated what I thought was a clusterf*uk routing (and poorly posted).

A couple Arkansas notes, but I'll post those to the 555 and US 67 columns.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SSOWorld

All the routes are poorly posted in Memphis.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

cl94

Alright, I don't have a site, so a few notes on my trip:

Thursday 10/6
- Left Albany pretty normally, took the Thruway to I-84-81-Central Scranton Expressway for my first night at the Hilton in Scranton.
- Grabbed US 11 and Business US 6 from Krispy Kreme to the Wegmans in Dickson City Thursday evening

Friday 10/7
- Took I-81 south to PA 924 > Ringtown Blvd > Aristes Rd > PA 42 > PA 61 to swing through Centralia, returned to I-81 via PA 901.
- Stayed on I-81 from PA 901 to I-40, swung off to grab I-581 and I-381. Although I had I-81 north of Wytheville, I wanted to grab the 3DIs.
- Took I-40 to I-640 and back to I-40, took local roads from Exit 383 to my hotel at Exit 378 to avoid traffic.
- Swung up TN 162 and 62 to visit Oak Ridge in the evening, went back down 162 to clinch I-140 and TN 162.
- Got a part of TN 33, the James White Parkway, and I-275 later that night

Saturday 10/8
- I-75 south from Knoxville to I-24, then west to I-59. I-75 east of Chattanooga got the high-visibility treatment in a fog area.
- I-59 south to I-459, clinched I-459 and looped back up I-20/59 to get to I-65 and the meet
- Returned to hotel along I-59 after the meet, detoured off I-24 in Chattanooga when seeing a tunnel warning sign to check out the Bachman Tunnel. Bunch of truck parking signs along I-75 showing real-time availability, which I need to look into some more as a potential research topic

Sunday 10/9
- I-40 from Exit 378 to the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC
- Blue Ridge Parkway up to NC 226 with a detour up NC 128 to the summit of Mt Mitchell
- Returned to I-40 via NC 226/US 221
- I-40 > I-77 > I-81 > I-66 > VA 28 to hotel. Traffic generally backed up on 81 for most of the time I was on it, jumped off onto US 11 during the I-64 concurrency to get around a particularly bad jam
- After checking into hotel, backtracked down VA 28, clinched I-66. Took GW Parkway from I-66 to 395, then looped north and back south to clinch 395. Went CCW on the beltway from 395 to Dulles Access Road to clinch 495, then took the Dulles Access road to the gas station to buy a soda and legally avoid the toll. Went to hotel after checking out Silver Line construction

Monday 10/10
- VA 267 east to beltway
- Beltway express lanes CCW from 267 to 395
- 395 > 695 > I-295. Turned around at end of I-295 and backtracked to head up DC 295
- Long backup on DC 295 due to construction and disabled truck in the road forced me to abandon my plans of clinching I-595, I-97 and I-195, clinched MD 295 and the Baltimore-Washington Parkway instead
- I-95 to Delaware Memorial Bridge and NJ Turnpike via Express Lanes in Maryland, Turnpike to Garden State Parkway
- GSP > NJ 17 > NY 17 > NY 32
- Clinched NY 32 by grabbing the parts I was missing south of Saugerties, hopped on the Thruway at Exit 20 to get back home around 10 PM.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

US71

Quote from: cl94 on October 11, 2016, 09:57:52 PM
Alright, I don't have a site, so a few notes on my trip:

FWIW, I post my stuff to Flickr ;)

codyg1985

Quote from: US71 on October 11, 2016, 09:20:54 PM
I left Birmingham on US 78 and followed it back to I-22. AL 118 has 3 exits, but only two are posted. Exit 53 (the middle exit) only has an EXIT sign, no advance warning or route posting. It appears to be mostly Frontage Road access.

Exit 53 was originally intended to be for an eastern extension of AL 102 that has yet to come to fruition.

Quote from: cl94 on October 11, 2016, 09:57:52 PM
Bunch of truck parking signs along I-75 showing real-time availability, which I need to look into some more as a potential research topic

I-94 in Michigan has these as well.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

vdeane

My trip:

I left Thursday morning and headed down I-87, as I seem to keep doing for meets these days.  I took I-287 over to I-80 to see the part over the Delaware Water Gap during the day, since I had previously clinched it at night.  It appears that PennDOT is still VERY conservative with the 70 mph zones; it was hard to tell why one section was 70 and another 65 (I would have thought the speed limit would have gone up near I-380, but that was still a long ways away from where the limit randomly went up).  I then took I-99 south to clinch the designated portion in PA and then took I-70 east through Breezewood and over to I-81.  From there, it was all I-81 to my hotel in Harrisonburg off US 30.

Friday started as a rainy drive down I-81; the rain didn't clear up until around Bristol.  I took a couple diversions to clinch I-581 and I-381 before entering Tennessee, where the terrain suddenly went from interesting to boring.  It's amazing how that can happen at a state line.  I took I-81, I-40, and I-75 south to I-24, which was gridlocked through Chattanooga, causing me to cut a planned clinch of I-124 to save time.  I took I-59 south to Birmingham (once again having the scenery get less interesting at a state line, this time GA/AL; I also clinched I-759 and AL 759.  I-75 in TN and I-59 in AL struck me as being the two most boring interstates that I have ever driven on.

The day of the meet, it was a short hop down I-20/59 and I-65 to the meet location, and again back (though that way I did slip down US 31 briefly to clinch the portion missed by the meet tour).  Sunday morning, I set out at the crack of dawn down I-20 towards Georgia.  I picked up I-85 in Atlanta and headed northeast through the Carolinas.  South Carolina struck me as also being very conservative with posting 70, just like PA, except their lone 70 mph zone on I-85 was in an urban area, which struck me as odd.  North Carolina was definitely an experience and a lot more interesting than I expected, at least through Durham (at which point it got rather boring; I-85 through Virginia is another one for the "most boring interstates" list); usually 3-4 lanes wide even in rural areas, and often 5+ lanes wide in urban areas.  In some respects, NC might be the "Texas of the east".  I continued up I-85 into VA (going through a couple cattle chute work zones in NC, BOTH of which had an accident completely blocking traffic in the other direction) and I-95 up to my hotel for the night (the Comfort Inn off exit 58, which I HIGHLY recommend; it's a new modern building, and quite possibly the best hotel I've ever stayed at on one of these roadtrips).  Got dinner at Wawa, and it's safe to say that I've converted (sorry Sheetz and Stewarts).

Monday, I went up I-95 around the Capital Beltway, and clinched I-195 (including going through the airport and a short section of MD 166).  I then took I-695 over the Key Bridge before resuming my trip up I-95.  I clinched I-495 in Delaware and then diverted to clinch the southern end of I-476 and I-276 in PA, heading up the Turnpike to exit 9 to see the "new" section of NJ 18.  From there, it was straight up I-287 and I-87 back home, at which point I was very thankful for taking the next day off from work because I slept for 10-11 hours that night, and needed the time to update my Mob Rule and Travel Mapping pages, as well as sort my pictures on my computer.

So... 2,499 miles driven, 1,083 pictures taken, and 5 new states visited... easily my longest trip, and a good test case for longer trips to come.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

I left about 6:45 am on Friday morning and went down I-55 toward St. Louis.  Had to make a pit stop at the first rest area near Pontiac, and it was the busiest I've ever seen it.  I kid you not (pun as you like), there were five buses full of kids there.  Must've been several class trips down to Springfield.  Anyway, continued on down I-55 to I-255 and took I-255 south to IL-3.  I then followed IL-3 south through Red Bud and then to Ruma where I turned onto IL-155 to Prairie du Rocher, one of the oldest towns in the state (1722).  There, I picked up Modoc Ferry Road to the Modoc-Ste. Genevieve Ferry.  The ferry was $15 per car, and worth it.  On the other side of the Mississippi, I followed local streets through Ste. Genevieve to US-61.  I then followed US-61 to Route U and turned left, into Illinois!  I then proceeded to go to the first state capitol of Illinois, Kaskaskia.  There's not much left, a few houses, a church (founded by Pere Marquette), and the Kaskaskia Bell monument.  Then I followed Route H to MO-51 and across the Chester Bridge to IL-3.  As it was getting later than I wanted, I took IL-3 to IL-149 to IL-13 and had lunch at a Popeye's in Carbondale.  Then I took US-51 south to Cairo.  Cairo, for lack of better words, is a shithole.  The population has dropped from 15,000 in the 1920s to less than 2,000 today.  There's not even a Casey's General Store there.  I then took the Cairo Ohio River Bridge both ways (turning around after it) to the Cairo Mississippi River Bridge and out the southernmost point in Illinois.  Following US-60/62, I turned left at MO-77.  MO-77 has several one-lane bridges, and not much else along it.  At the end is the Dorena-Hickman Ferry, the only direct connection between Missouri and Kentucky.  I took the ferry across the river ($16 per car).  Then I followed KY-94 to Tennessee.  The road, which looks like a two-lane blacktop, suddenly looks like a state route upon entering Tennessee.  I then followed TN-78 to TN-79 to TN-181 to get to I-155.  I then crossed back into Missouri to I-55.  I then followed I-55 south to Memphis and directly onto I-240 and my first (and only) traffic jam of the entire trip.  I exited at Lamar Avenue (US-78) and followed that to Mississippi where it finally became I-22 after a few miles.  Then it was I-22 to Fulton and the hotel.

Saturday, I took I-22 to I-65, doubling back at the MS-AL border to go to the welcome center for a Mississippi state map.  I-22 becomes six lanes from Jasper on in.  Then it was I-65 north to the Target and a 30 minute wait for everyone else.  I went to Penney's and Books A Million there. :-)  That's why I was a few minutes later getting to the meet.

Sunday, I then took I-65 south to I-59 north.  I-59 gets more interesting as it heads toward Georgia.  The mountains get bigger, and there are more roadcuts.  I got up to I-24 and went west.  Which was better than east as the backup (for construction, I presume) had to be at least 10-15 miles long.  I then climbed Monteagle on I-24.  Not much difficulty for the car, and much easier than the Rockies last year for the Denver meet.  Very pretty, as this is the first time I've been through Monteagle in the daylight.  I then took I-840 west to clinch it, having been east of I-24 and west of I-65 when it was TN-840.  Then it was I-65 north back to I-24.  I-24 west to the Pennyrile Pkwy and north to the Western Kentucky Pkwy.  For some reason, Kentucky acts as though both parkways end at the interchange and become I-69.  Then I-69 south to KY-91 north, past then end of US-641 to the Cave-in-Rock Ferry and back to Illinois.  Once across, it was IL-1 to IL-13 west.  At IL-142, I took the extra mile south into Equality and the end of IL-142.  Then I U-turned back toward Mount Vernon.  At Mount Vernon, I then hopped on I-57 north to IL-9 in Paxton.  Then it was over to IL-115, a very quiet route where I can go really fast.  IL-115 turns sharply in Kankakee County north of Cabery.  I went straight to IL-17, west to Campus Road, and north to IL-53 in Gardner, where I picked up I-55 to go back home.

In all, about 1,800 miles, some new counties, leaving a mere 5 left for me in Illinois, and 3 new ferries, as well as 4 new bridges.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jpi

My trip for Steph and I, the drive down was fairly uneventful since we have been to Birmingham at least a half dozen times over the years and is a 3 hour drive from metro Nashville. We took I-65 all the way down aside from a slight veering off at 840 west to US 31 south to do some shopping and grab lunch in Spring Hill, then on to TN 396 (Saturn PKWY) and back to I-65 south, overall a nice drive with some heavy pockets of traffic but even more heavier pockets of traffic going north.

Now the drive home was a different story ;-), this involved a big side trip into southwestern Alabama to get roughly 7 new counties we had not gotten before, we headed south on I-459 to I-20/59 to Tuscaloosa, then south on AL 69 (I had already clinched I-359 a few years ago) we headed deep into the back woods of rural southwestern AL, even ended up on some dirt roads, we then ended up in Selma where we had lunch at Zaxby's then worked our way back to I-65 north to I-840 east to home. Our lodging was the Econo Lodge of I-65 and US 31 at Vestavia Hills where we spent Friday and Saturday night, overall not a bad place but with something unique, a Waffle House attached to it and offered free breakfast there too so we had waffles of course and were very good. Overall this was a nice weekend for us, beautiful weather with summer like weather still hanging on here in the south but with out the humidity and now over 3/4 of Alabama clinched. Thanks again Cody for hosting another great meet! :) It was great seeing a lot of familiar faces I have seen and hung out with at many meets over the past 10 years but also meet a couple new faces. :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

codyg1985

Quote from: Brandon on October 12, 2016, 02:06:35 PM
I got up to I-24 and went west.  Which was better than east as the backup (for construction, I presume) had to be at least 10-15 miles long.

It is typically that backed up during the weekends.
Cody Goodman

hbelkins

I'm posting my trip reports on the Road Trips board, but I will answer a couple of things that have been brought up here.

Valerie: I-24 is seemingly ALWAYS gridlocked through Chattanooga. As for I-75 and I-81 in Tennessee, those roads run through wide valleys between the mountain ranges, and not right at the foot of a mountain range like I-81 tends to do in Virginia.

Josh: There have been a number of huge pileups over the years on I-75 in Tennessee between I-40 and Chattanooga. The route's location in a valley near some large bodies of water makes it very fog-prone. It's been several years since I've been on that stretch of I-75 but it sounds like they have increased the visibility treatment since the last time I was there.

Scott and David: Yes, the signage in Memphis -- as it tends to be in most Tennessee cities -- is poor. It's bad even in some of the smaller towns.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on October 12, 2016, 03:38:38 PM
Josh: There have been a number of huge pileups over the years on I-75 in Tennessee between I-40 and Chattanooga. The route's location in a valley near some large bodies of water makes it very fog-prone. It's been several years since I've been on that stretch of I-75 but it sounds like they have increased the visibility treatment since the last time I was there.

Going by GSV, they did the increase in July and August of this year. GSV went through in July and, while it had been resurfaced with new lines painted, "snowplow markers" along the shoulders and snowplowable reflectors have not been installed. As of now, it has delineators along the edges of the shoulders similar to those used in New York and other places with heavy snowfall. There's a variable speed limit in that stretch as well.

I-24 was actually fine when I drove through on Saturday, but that was likely timing, as it was about 8:30 AM EDT heading west and 11 PM heading east. I-40 through Knoxville was miserable Friday night.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

ericnear

I'll also say, it was a great meet. I didn't make any side trips due to time constraints. I had planned on detouring through Fayetteville, TN to look for some alleged "new cutouts" but an accident on I-65 north got me delayed past sundown.
Proud of my hometown (Ironton, OH) but wouldn't ever leave my adopted home.

codyg1985

Quote from: ericnear on October 13, 2016, 02:41:51 PM
I'll also say, it was a great meet. I didn't make any side trips due to time constraints. I had planned on detouring through Fayetteville, TN to look for some alleged "new cutouts" but an accident on I-65 north got me delayed past sundown.

New cutouts?
Cody Goodman

oscar

I got back hom from Birmingham yesterday evening. Both the outgoing and return trips involved a lot of US route-clinching, which resulted in an eight-night, 3300-mile trip. Basically, I drove to Birmingham via South Carolina, then since I was that far west anyway, sidewinded my way up to Cleveland before turning east back home.

Wednesday 10/5

The original plan had been to leave Thursday morning, and overnight in Georgetown SC near Charleston. With Hurricane Matthew approaching the South Carolina coast, I decided on Wednesday morning to leave that afternoon, cancel the Georgetown reservation, and replace it with one along I-95 in North Carolina and for Thursday evening along I-20 near Columbia SC (even on Wednesday morning, inland lodging availabilty was tightening up). The only noteworthy part of my Wednesday itinerary was my first paid trip on the I-95 express lanes south of DC (in addition to some free trips when the lanes first opened), which in mid-afteroon were nice to speed my trip out of town but i could've gotten by OK in the free lanes.

Thursday 10/6

This is when things got interesting, I first left I-95 toward Goldsboro NC, to clinch the newly-completed Bypass US 70 (also signed as Future I-42), then out to Kinston NC and back to fill one of many gaps in my US 70 coverage, before turning south on US 13 to pick up the part of US 701 I hadn't covered. Then it was down US 701 to Georgetown SC, as officials were preparing hurricane evacuations. No problem to my finishing off US 701, but after I turned inland on US 521, I saw roadblocks closing that road for travel toward the coast.

I then took I-95 southwest, hoping to clinch my only missing segment of US 301 from I-95 exit 97 southwest, but the prolonged rebuild of that interchange had not been completed (no mention of the road closure on South Carolina 511). Then when I got to I-26, I found the ramps from I-95 to I-26 inland toward Columbia were closed. By then, I-26 was contraflowed so all four lanes were available for traffic evacuating Charleston, but I don't understand why the I-95 ramps to the regular westbound lanes were closed. I continued to the exit for US 178, which I took without hindrance inland toward Orangeburg, and could get on I-26 (still contraflowed, all the way to I-77) there.

Friday 10/7

I took I-20 west to Augusta GA, then took US 78 most of the way to Birmingham,  finishing off US 78 in Georgia (Matthew had foiled my plan to clinch 78 in South Carolina, too). I got back on I-20 west of Pell City AL, after sunset, to complete the trip to Birmingham.

Sunday 10/9

The return trip after the meet started with I-22 west to exit 81, where I turned back east to cover the part of US 78 in Alabama I hadn't already covered. That included the part through downtown Birmingham, where signs for some of the turns needed to stay on US 78 were poorly marked, so I had to double-back in a few places to get back on track. Then I turned north on US 411 through northeast Alabama and Georgia, until I ran short on daylight and took TN 30 to I-75 to search for overnight lodging (not much of that on US 411).

Monday 10/10

I went on US 321 from its west end at I-40 to the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area where I picked up US 441. Traffic there was as hellish as warned in this thread, and stayed that way to the first visitor center within Great Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park, where the parking lots were jammed. Traffic eased up a bit continuing south into North Carolina, where I took US 19 west to US 129, then north (including the famously twisty "Tail of the Dragon" section through the mountains) to loop back to US 411. I finished off 411 by the end of the day, and stayed overnight along I-40 in Newport TN.

Tuesday 10/11

I returned to Gatlinburg on US 321 to cover a part I'd previously missed. Even after the long weekend was over, traffic was a mess in Gatlinburg, though not as bad as the day before. The Marathon in Gatlinburg had the highest gas prices I encountered on this trip, $2.599/gal. RUNL, so I only pumped a few gallons into my fuel tank. From there, I stayed on US 321 northeast into North Carolina, clinching the route in Tennessee (still missing most of the rest of US 321). Then back northwest on US 421 through the mountains toward Bristol TN/VA, filling a large gap in my coverage of that route (now I have everything east of US 119 in KY). The rest of the day was all Interstates, to overnight in Princeton WV.

Wednesday 10/12

Much of this day was filling my many gaps in US 52 in West Virginia and Kentucky. That also pulled Kentucky from the short list of states I haven't been to this year (the others are HI, NV, KS, and the six New England states -- but not UT, where I spent a few seconds in March rounding the Four Corners monument). Then a boring drive on I-64 => I-77 => I-79. past Pittsburgh to the I-76 junction.

Thursday-Friday 10/13-14

This final part of the trip was to finish off the parts of US 322 and 422 in Ohio and western Pennsylvania, which I might otherwise have done to and from the upcoming Battle Creek MI meet (alas, I have a schedule conflict that day). On the 13th, I set out west on US 422 into downtown Cleveland, picking up that route in New Castle PA via I-76 and I-376. I then turned back east on US 322 (like US 78 in Birmingham, a little hard to use signage to stay on the route through Cleveland), to I-79 in Pennsylvania. From there on Friday, I took care of the rest of US 322 I hadn't covered, then south on US 219, PA 879, and PA 453, to I-99 where I stayed on the Interstates the rest of the way home.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hbelkins

You were traversing some of the same territory I did. My Sunday was US 411 out of Leeds all the way to TN 72, which I took over to US 129 and then southeast to the Foothills Parkway to get over to US 321. I took 321 to Townsend and turned around and completed it all the way to I-40, having previously gotten all of 321 in Tennessee.

oscar

BTW, are either of the group meet photos online? If they're on the event FB pages, they're on the part (most of it) inaccessible to non-FB users like me.

hbelkins

Quote from: oscar on October 16, 2016, 12:47:42 PM
BTW, are either of the group meet photos online? If they're on the event FB pages, they're on the part (most of it) inaccessible to non-FB users like me.

I've seen them in various places on FB, and figured they'd have been posted here by now.

US71

I have a couple that I haven't posted yet. I've been busy with other things, so really haven't had much time.

froggie

Quote from: OscarThen when I got to I-26, I found the ramps from I-95 to I-26 inland toward Columbia were closed. By then, I-26 was contraflowed so all four lanes were available for traffic evacuating Charleston, but I don't understand why the I-95 ramps to the regular westbound lanes were closed.

Likely to avoid overloading westbound I-26 and to give the priority to traffic evacuating from the coast.

oscar

Quote from: froggie on October 17, 2016, 07:14:51 AM
Quote from: OscarThen when I got to I-26, I found the ramps from I-95 to I-26 inland toward Columbia were closed. By then, I-26 was contraflowed so all four lanes were available for traffic evacuating Charleston, but I don't understand why the I-95 ramps to the regular westbound lanes were closed.

Likely to avoid overloading westbound I-26 and to give the priority to traffic evacuating from the coast.

Maybe. But that assumes that none (or little) of the traffic evacuating from the coast would be using I-95 to get to evacuation routes. In any case, at the time I drove past I-26, traffic was flowing freely in both the regular westbound lanes and the contraflowed eastbound lanes, so the police could have held off on blocking access from I-95.

Alex

Quote from: US71 on October 16, 2016, 11:00:22 PM
I have a couple that I haven't posted yet. I've been busy with other things, so really haven't had much time.

With gn.com being gone, whatever happened with their road meet page that cataloged all of the known meets? Did someone else take that over?

freebrickproductions

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 13, 2016, 02:51:28 PM
Quote from: ericnear on October 13, 2016, 02:41:51 PM

New cutouts?
I can see about getting up there sometime to hunt for them. Do you know which routes they may be posted for?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.